The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

I gotta agree on the posts that calling the OP ignorant for not knowing how to read the teeth is a little harsh. I've been in horses my whole life and flip them pretty regularly. I have a fabulous vet and I trust her completely with mouths and teeth. I don't consider myself ignorant when it comes to horses, but I can't read teeth either (unless I've got a book sitting right there to reference). Despite that, I'm certainly able to adjust a bit properly and determine whether something works in a particular horse's mouth.

With that being said, my point was that teeth are generally a decent way to GUESS at age, but there are always outlying horses. If this pony has papers I would be inclined to believe the papers and conclude that she's just a slow developer unless there's some reason to believe that the papers aren't hers or someone somewhere along the way was fibbing.

And I don't know where there's any indication that the OP is doing anything irresponsible with her kid. I rode in my first legitimate grand prix at 14, and you can bet I was riding and jumping a LOT of horses coming up to that point (some less broke than others). Sarcasm or none, I don't think it's fair to assume (or even say) anything about parental skills based on the fact that the 12 year old is riding the pony. All I think it says is that they OP picked up a really nice pony, and it's too bad that they'll have to wait longer than anticipated to get her going (but what a wonderful attitude to have about it).

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post

It's a parental responsibility to ensure your children are safe so don't go giving me lectures on teenagers and good parenting!
    To assume Kim does not keep her children safe is crazy. I know OP, I know seller of said pony, I know the pony.
    OP is a great parent. You have no clue. Good parenting is more than horses. OP has lost a child, and you have the gall to call her a bad parent? I realize how could you have known.. but sometime, just sometimes there is a world beyond the internet. And those of us sitting out here have feelings. And they can be hurt. And what you said HURT.

Pony is not a typical 2 year old. My kids have ridden pony. It is QUIET! I am shocked it is so young. Seller honestly had no clue.
    This is crazy that OP asked a TRAINING question and this trhread has turned into this train wreak..

Sorry for typos, my 7 month old is helping type.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    I gotta agree on the posts that calling the OP ignorant for not knowing how to read the teeth is a little harsh. I've been in horses my whole life and flip them pretty regularly. I have a fabulous vet and I trust her completely with mouths and teeth. I don't consider myself ignorant when it comes to horses, but I can't read teeth either (unless I've got a book sitting right there to reference). Despite that, I'm certainly able to adjust a bit properly and determine whether something works in a particular horse's mouth.
    Same here!

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    With that being said, my point was that teeth are generally a decent way to GUESS at age, but there are always outlying horses. If this pony has papers I would be inclined to believe the papers and conclude that she's just a slow developer unless there's some reason to believe that the papers aren't hers or someone somewhere along the way was fibbing.
    Me too!
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    Don't be a prat!

I was being sarcastic.

No, it's called being an ass! I hope the Mods close this thread.

Ugh, and some of the long time posters here wonder why the new people just stay as lurkers and are afraid to post. Sigh!
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

Hi OP,
    Glad you found such a nice pony. Sounds like you have a good plan now for light work. I wouldn't do any lungeing if she is only 2 or 3 and, therefore, still growing. Have you considered a saddle fitter for the issue of not moving forward? An uncomfortable saddle can certainly cause this and bucking.

Good luck with the pony.

Tracy, I agree. This thread needs to be closed. Not because of the original poster asking a very good question, but because it has taken a turn that is not what COTH is all about. MODS??????? Listen to us experienced breeders and do what is necessary, and I do believe an apology is due to our thread starter here. I, for one, am very sorry to see this uncalled for posting.
    Last edited by Sugarbrook; Jun. 28, 2009 at 11:06 PM. Reason: typo
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilverponies View Post
    Gosh Thomas1. I usually enjoy reading your posts, but found that last one to be unnecessarily harsh and certainly not helpful to the OP.
    i didnt because i had picked up on the same things -- she has a breeding farm as has broodmares with foals and youngsters and should know the difference if she doesnt then its lack of knowledge and skill

a young horse being ridden as she is at 2 -- as we now know it will understand will do her back in and a lot more ---- he was harsh becuase hes telling you as i am
    that she is a baby -

put it this way you want the horse to last along time as in years-- well it wont if you dont back off
    and turn her away for a year

its important when buying horses of any age to look in there mouth as it is to breeding them
    for not only bits and bitting but for the mouth its self not just for teeth butfor the shape of the mouth if it over bears undbears or is normal etc etc
    so that one can get expert advice sooner rather than later
    for exsample if one didnt notice that a horse at an early age was parrot mouth not only does it effect or could affect bits and bitting -- but also staying in weight and body condition
    as some parrot mouthed horses do suffer with a weight issue so having something being seen early in life then with exper care and management the horse can leave a normal life span

as for the children comment -- then one wouldnt put a young green novice on a young green horse
    as your the mom- then anything happens to either your liable as your the major party and they are a minor party -- god forbid if anything happened you would never forgive yourself
    and one cannot insure either at this age as as a- the horse isnt worth a light until it starts an education and carreer and can only insure ofr public libility death or straying etc
    as the rider is a minor and under the age of 18 she should really have a rider onlu policy of which you would be the benificary as she s under age and not working so would be riding a young horse that cant be completely covered by insurance
    as you breed horses yourself you know that they can do things at any time up to the age of 3
    as in silly things so a lot of insurance companies will only cover the baisics untilt eh horse is broken in and then into a carreer programme -- as he moves up as improving then so does his value
    as in market price --

so the issue comes to parenting- not that any one bad good or indifferent -
    but beingf responsible for child well fare on what is really an unbroken youngster

thats not being harsh its be realistic
    Last edited by goeslikestink; Jun. 29, 2009 at 04:03 PM.