The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spinoff: Horse growth spurts = $$$

Horse growth spurts are recently costing me as much as a child. My dear horsie got shoes Tuesday ($175) then ripped one off Thursday ($30), and ripped another one off Saturday ($30). Once we hit a growth spurt it seems no bell boots can keep us safe. Just waiting for outgrowing saddle, blankets (again), etc.
    Anyone else sharing the pain?
    "are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn...I can yawn, because I ride better than you, Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn, you, not so much..." George Morris in Camden, SC

LOL! When I saw the first growth spurt thread, I thought horse, not child, as it my 4 year old who is butt high right now. My two year old daughter and I are only dreaming of her first saddle.

My beast went from a size 75 blanket, to a 78, to wearing an 81 that is just SLIGHTLY large - in one winter! He's currently 4, and butt-high is a way of life for us. I have a lovely collection of blankets/dress sheets/coolers in sizes 81-84 from my old horse. Mr. Growth Spurt has been warned that if he outgrows them all he will be sorry!
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

I feel your pain! My 4 yr. old was consistantly ripping his front shoes off in his stall despite double bell boots. I would have shoes tacked on at least once a week. Finally decided to try booting him when he was in his stall. Every night he wore Old Mac boots in the front and it worked really well. Did this for about 4 months so my blacksmith wouldn't hate me.

When they started going out at night I was not able to "boot" him in the morning for his stall time but he has not pulled any off in about 8 weeks. I hope I didn't just jinx myself but it seems we have outgrown this issue. Hang in there!!
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." --Ghandi

I feel your pain! My horse needs her saddle re-stuffed AGAIN. Does it ever end??

I'm in the same boat! My mare was 15.1 when I got her ( I was told she was 3 but she was really only 2 years old). She just turned 5 and had a growth spurt again last month. She is now almost 16.2. We have gone through MANY blankets 74", 76", 78", and now 80". 3 saddles (wide w/ no withers to not so wide w/ withers, and now wide with withers). We were hoping that she would stay around 16hands (mom was 15.2ish) but obviously that didn't happen. I think if she grows anymore I am going to pull my hair out. I was hoping she would be my eq horse in addition to my A/O hunter, but I'm only
    5'1 and am starting to look like a kid on a giant horse.
    Happy Hour-TB
    Cowboy Casanova - Brandenburg
    Isadora - Palomino TB

Quote Originally Posted by Buglet View Post
    I think if she grows anymore I am going to pull my hair out. I was hoping she would be my eq horse in addition to my A/O hunter, but I'm only
    5'1 and am starting to look like a kid on a giant horse.
    Do you ever get "those looks" from people when you say you wish your horse was done growing? I'm short and look kind of funny on big horses!
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard