The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default embryo transfer

I have a really nice mare and was curious about embryo transfer. Can anyone share their stories? Who has a good rep for performing ET, what are the average costs, and do you believe it is worth the additional expense?

If you do a search on here you will find a million posts on this topic. Everything from costs, to reccomended vets, to personal experiences.
    Already excited about our 2016 foals! Expecting babies by Indoctro, Diamant de Semilly, Zirocco Blue and Calido!

When I tried to search earlier, nothing came up...but I tried again, this time with success. Don't know why sometimes searches don't work.

Devon ENGLAND

Big things are the need for an expert vet and several doner mares ideally 3 recipients for every doner try. I guess you are in USA but for me in the UK my cost was £5500-6000 not including the stallion stud cost. My mare was on full liveryt for several months and I have to hire the recipient mare. Got an embryo and this is what I would of spent on a quality foal/yearling but with the added bonus of being from my very special mare.
    Normal cost I think is 15-25% over standard stud costs in breeding your mare normally.
    For me worth every penny as the mare is 19 and could not carry to full term herself

Sisters, Oregon

I think my situation may be a bit different than some others.

This has been my experience to date...

My FIL had two "spare" broodmares that we are using. All three mares are in a big pasture across the fence from the geldings that are all gaga about them and constantly making moonie eyes at them.

Vet comes out to do first ultra sound to see where things are. Low and behold donor mare and one recipient are totally in sync. Vet orders semen, breeds donor mare. Seven days later she is flushed. Embryo retrieved, put in recip mare. This coming Thursday recip mare will be preg checked.

We are at about $1K right now.

The vet said that we are really lucky that things have gone like clockwork and it's usually not this easy! I agree
    Kanoe Godby
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.