The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Class Q.

It's been awhile since I've shown, I was looking up classes for a local schooling show what is "Puisance starting a 2'3" mean?
    (possibly mis-spelt, there were several tort classes yummy!)

I'm also wondering what "Gamblers Choice 2'6" means.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Puissance starting at 2'3" sounds like a disaster waiting to happen

Gambler's Choice is a class type where all fences have a point value, based on their difficulty (usually deemed by height) and riders have a certain amount of time to jump as many of the fences and gather as many points as possible, using a course they have made up themselves. This class appears to have a MAX fence height of 2'6", and those will be the jumps with the highest points attached to them (2'3" & 2' fences will be in the course but have lower point values)

There are other rules to it, can't jump any fence more than twice, etc . . .
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Quality hunter, jumper, pony & equitation sale horses available worldwide, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.

Oh that's right I have seen gamblers choice before! Glad i asked about that one TY.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Need You Now Equine

Guess I could provide a more useful answer to your other question

A Puissance is a high jump competition . . . one jump (and there may be 2 or so leading up to it) will keep getting higher and higher until finally everyone but one pulls a rail. That person is the winner.

Starting such a competition at 2'3" sounds like it would invite riders that were possibly not ready to jump such heights as this class could acheive.
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Quality hunter, jumper, pony & equitation sale horses available worldwide, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.

2'9" is the top height in this show - you're right the pussance does sound like trouble waiting to happen That's exciting to watch at Spruce Meadows but I don't want to see a bunch of kids smash through fences.

Thanks for the help dags! now I've just got to discuss with the rider what my mare is ready for!
    Need You Now Equine

Quote Originally Posted by Nes View Post
    2'9" is the top height in this show - you're right the pussance does sound like trouble waiting to happen That's exciting to watch at Spruce Meadows but I don't want to see a bunch of kids smash through fences.

Thanks for the help dags! now I've just got to discuss with the rider what my mare is ready for!
    So they're going to run a 'puissance' that starts at 2'3" and can only go up to 2'9"? No one is going to pull a rail at those less than level 0 heights hopefully. Strange class to have in a schooling show and it def sounds dangerous if they do go higher.

Sorry, the max height in the highest class is 2'9" (before the puisance) I don't think they set a max height for the entire show.
    Need You Now Equine

It's possible there is a max on the puissance, but it should say that in the prizelist. We used to do it at the pony club benefit show. They ran one that started at 2' and everyone who was still in at 3' got a blue ribbon. That one was mainly for ponies and kids showing at 2' or 2'6". Then there was a second one that started at 2'9" and everyone who was still in at 3'9" or 4' got a blue ribbon.