The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

PictureThis1 Guest

Default Canadians- buying saddles in the US?

I have been saddle shopping for the last couple months and have been unable to find a quality used french saddle that will fit me or my horse locally (or anywhere in Canada, for that matter!). I have resorted to looking at saddles in the US. Has anyone in Canada bought a used saddle from the US before, what kind of duty and taxes were charged at the border? I understand that saddles made in the US would be duty free, but the high end french brands such as Butet, Devoucoux..ect would not be exempt from duty fees.

Any help would be appreciated!

I was really lucky and scored a nice used Childeric last fall when the Canadian dollar was at par for a millisecond or two... I paid 1,800 for it, but as I recall, the duty & taxes (as well as shipping COD) were over 300. Still less than the cost of anything comparable that I could find here... good luck with your search!

Hey there,

I looked forever trying to find a used Delgrange as I REALLY wanted one. I managed to find one thanks to mbmarsh on here and brought it up. I was expecting to get hit with duties and taxes but somehow I have was not charged.Note to self though fed ex sucked !!! I wont be using them again thats for sure. It was actually a overal painless experience except for fed ex.

Cheers
    any questions you can email me at genie4ever@hotmail.com

Call ups and fed x they will tell you what the import charges will be based on the dollar figure. It is costly, especially when you start talking about adding pst/gst and the like.

You can call Canadian Border services they are very helpful.

I recently called and found out the following,

If you bring a saddle over the border you will have to pay duty and taxes.

If you return the saddle you will NOT get a refund on the duty and taxes paid.

So it can get very expensive if you don't get one that fits the first time.

I live near the border and thought about trailering over the line to try on saddles instead of having them shipped over the border. That way I would only have to spring for gas and a coggins test (but still a PITA)

I notice you are in BC. The Dog & Pony carries the Butet and Heritage Equine in southlands carries several other high-end French saddles. I don't think anyone is carrying the Devoncoux right now though.

I had been looking for a used Childeric last year, and was having no luck finding one in my budget, and the model I needed. I e-mailed Cori McGraw, and she was super helpful. I actually went in on a whim to a local tack shop and found the exact model I had been searching for and bought it for a song ($2200)! Even though I didn't buy anything from Cori McGraw, she is very helpful, straight forward and wonderful to deal with. She knows what she's selling. I would send her an e-mail, maybe she can help you out. Good luck

I bought a used saddle from the US and had it shipped to Canada.

Shipping was about $45, and I was not charged duty as the shipper sent it as though an individual was sending it as a gift. The shipper also reduced the estimated value, so if I had to pay duty, it would have been on a much smaller amount.

PM me if you want details for who I bought from.
    Proud Member of the "Tidy Rabbit Tinfoil Hat Wearers" clique and the "I'm in my 20's and Hope to be a Good Rider Someday" clique