The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Harry F. Thompson Jr.

I haven't been able to follow things but I know he was suspended for a long time a few years back and before that he had tons of winners. I saw that he is training again. Yes, I know, not new news or anything, he has been training again for a while. One thing I have noticed is that he seems to have a lot of "longshots" in his barn and I was wondering why he hasn't returned to his former success. Was it because of the suspension and losing owners? I imagine a year suspension could do that. I just want some insight as to what happens to a trainer after such a thing. Is there a stigma? Or does a suspension sort of get forgotten? Just curious as to what people think and feel.

He's had health problems and had his leg at least partially amputated. Harry had good owners, used the vet well, and had stock that was superior to everyone else. Penn is no longer a minor league racing track. Bottom condition claimers now go 1:11. The old methods don't work anymore.

Didn't know Harry had health problems, sorry to hear about that. His main owner several years ago was Danny Chen.

I was also unaware of the health problems. That is very saddening to hear and all the best to him. I know he still trains a few Danny Chen horses. I saw one entered in a race recently. I just guess training is an up and down game.