The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Crime (but probably no punishment): Mystery Solved

My tennant cut and baled about four acres along our frontage road. They picked up about half and then took a break until the Sun got lower in the sky (it was 91F here yesterday). When they came back about 100 bales had been picked up. The only "evidence" of removal was a set of tire tracks leading up onto the road. No one that we've talked to saw anything. If they had I'm sure they would have assumed that it was the tennant or someone under their direction and would have paid no attention.

It's unlikely we'll ever know who did it.

Sometimes country living does suck.

G.
    Last edited by Guilherme; Jun. 29, 2009 at 06:29 AM.

Wow - those thieves had guts.
    What if the rightful owner had returned while they were in the field loading 100 bales onto their trailer?

That really stinks. What a risk to take!
    Karma. Or you reap what you sew (I know that's not the way it's spelled, but nothing else looked right)

Good grief, no one drove by and saw, I assume, guys loading hay? I'd check around with the neighbors, make a police report and hopefully someone will tell you they saw a truck/trailer, etc. One thing about the country is without many people around, you can usually narrow down the suspects and "round up the usual suspects."
    I'd be visiting everyone to see if a new load of hay is in someone's barn.

I bet a lot of people drove by and saw people loading hay.
    They just did not think to stop and ask for a receipt and this time of year who does NOT have a load of hay in their barn?
    That just burns me up. low life hay thieves....
    We thought someone had stolen about 50 bales out of our haybarn, got really bent out of shape and then found a check and the note from one of our regulars. Wish this would happen for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    . . . (it was 91F here yesterday). . . . G.

Well, with any luck they got heatstroke. That does stink, doesn't it.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Wow...just Wow, at the gall of the thieves.

Lets hope Karma bites them and every bale they stole goes moldy!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Yikes! I've always wondered if that happens often. I've JOKINGLY said how nice those bales of hay look sitting right next to the road but would NEVER steal someone's hay!!! It's just always seemed so scary having that much money sitting there in fields when good hay's hard enough to find. It had to take a while to load 100 bales. That really sucks.

The people I buy hay from got hit three times last week. Same guy at least two of the times (white pickup). Twice was during the day, once at midnight (their daughter was coming home from work and saw him going down the road). Unfortunately, nobody has managed to get a license plate yet. These people sell great hay at good prices (it's down $2.50/bale from last year).

A coworker saw someone crawl through her fence last year and shove a bale of hay in the rear seat of his sedan. She was going the opposite direction with a trailer attached though so couldn't turn around and chase him down.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

We had the opposite problem last year, abandoned hay. We woke
    one morning to find two large round bales in the ditch beside our
    hayfield. We suspected they had come off the bale wagon our
    dairy farmer neighbors use to move hay from a field they own
    at the end of our gravel road. They travel over that road and
    the paved county road down the hill to their home farm with
    the harvest to store it to feed their cows. My DH got the tractor
    and moved the two bales out of the ditch to the edge of the
    field entrance and we called the neighbors. They denied that
    the bales were theirs!??! We then waited for a few weeks for
    someone to come forward and tell us how they were hauling
    hay and two bales fell off their transport but nobody ever did.
    Finally, we just fed those bales to our horses along with our own
    hay. I still wonder how someone could lose two large round
    bales and not notice.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

That just s*cks!

Have you looked on Craigslist to see if anyone is selling 100 bales cheap? I had someone on there email me about coming and getting hay I emailed them my address. Well the did not make it the first weekend I told them I would not be on the farm the next weekend but I could meet them if they told me a time. Well I get home to find a truck lode taken from the back of the 2nd cutting pile! I was so up set now no one gets my address till I talk to them on the phone and the barn is locked at all time!
    AilleXWest
    www.gypsystoychest.com Adult Toys and Home partys

Quote Originally Posted by dmalbone View Post
    Yikes! I've always wondered if that happens often. I've JOKINGLY said how nice those bales of hay look sitting right next to the road but would NEVER steal someone's hay!!!
    I've thought the same thing! Sometimes I see big lush pastures and wonder if someone would notice if I dropped my horse off for a few hours for a snack!

That's horrible that someone would steal the hay, lets hope they really needed it for starving horses or something

Quote Originally Posted by dmalbone View Post
    Yikes! I've always wondered if that happens often. I've JOKINGLY said how nice those bales of hay look sitting right next to the road but would NEVER steal someone's hay!!! It's just always seemed so scary having that much money sitting there in fields when good hay's hard enough to find. It had to take a while to load 100 bales. That really sucks.
    Not so much... with 3 people and a big enough trailer we can load 100 bales in about half and hour.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Wouldn't you be worried about lead and other pollutants (from car exhaust and water runoff) in hay from along the road?

Quote Originally Posted by nightsong View Post
    Wouldn't you be worried about lead and other pollutants (from car exhaust and water runoff) in hay from along the road?
    No. The road is very lightly traveled and well ditched so that run off is directed into natural drainange channels.

It does take some chutzpah to do this but, then, in a lightly traveled rural area while everybody is at work (and most folks do work off the farm around here) the risk might be less than we think.

Again, if I had seen it I would likely have thought nothing of it as I would not have know what arrangments they might have made.

There's a chance we'll find out and we're looling for the culprits. If we find them then we'll do what the law allows (including criminal prosecution). But we're not holding our collecive breath.

G.

I would set a trap for them, myself, during the next cutting. The trap being I and some of my big friends hiding nearby with shotguns and a cell phone to call the police.

The shot guns wouldn't actully be used to shoot anyone, of course, but just to add to the "don't mess with us" impression.

Quote Originally Posted by nightsong View Post

"road" in our part of the world is not "road" in another part of the world
    the one he is referrring to might be 14 foot at it's widest...

best
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

That sucks!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Yikes... they sure had some guts... Wonder if you'll spot any new "Hay For Sale" ads on your local Craig's List... not that you could prove it was the actual hay stolen... .

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
    Yikes... they sure had some guts... Wonder if you'll spot any new "Hay For Sale" ads on your local Craig's List... not that you could prove it was the actual hay stolen... .

I was thinking the same thing. When we were robbed a few months ago - we did keep an eye out for ads and announcements. Never saw anything but the deputy told us not to get our hopes up.

Sorry your hay was stolen, OP.