The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What do I need to know about buying a microscope on Ebay???

What technical settings and features do I absolutely need to have if I purchase a microscope off Ebay?

The reproductive supply place that I deal with is quoting me $1200.00 - $6000.00 for a "suitable" microscope for analyzing semen and I figure there has GOT to be a cheaper model that does just as good a job, if I know exactly what it is I need to look for, and what questions I need to ask.

I also would like to find an incubator if at all possible - has anyone bought one off Ebay and again - what do I need to look for and what features do I need to have?

Heck ... Live Cover is SO much easier ... ... client brings mare ... stallion inserts penis ... mare goes home ... good news email is received in 15 days ...

No microscope / AV / incubator / microscope / etc required ...

I bought a used college science class microscope (bright field rather than the better and more expensive phase contrast) in ebay for $60 that does the job quite well. You want one that has a magnification of at least 100x and 400x for basic analysis. You need 1000x for morphological analysis.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I also bought my microscope off of eBay. It was a top of the line Bausch & Lomb...which is one of the more expensive and better quality brands. With shipping, I paid around $120 CAD. I was through a University that was replacing all of their old lab equipment with brand new state of the art. OMG, if I had to pay over $200 I'd have heart failure!! You're getting ripped on the information that place is giving you!!

I'm sure Kathy will pipe in here on the specs you need but Sonesta is correct. Make sure it's got a light source with it too.

I have the cutest little incubator that I got refurbished through Minitube Canada for about $150 CAD. Many of the reproduction companies will have used equipment in sometimes like Spermacues, Quick Check sperm counters, incubators, etc. Also, make sure you check all of the used breeding equipment forums as there always seems to be somebody getting out of the breeding business and selling things fairly cheap.

I have a full lab set up at our farm, and the only things I purchased new was our pony AV and our Quick Check Sperm Counter. Everything else was used off of eBay or through the used breeding equipment forums. Oh, except I splurged for one new thing this year and got a slide warmer that I just love!!

BEWARE purchasing some stuff off of eBay, etc. that is used. That first incubator link says it is used and then goes on to further say that it likely hasn't been tested to see if it works and no returns are available!
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com