The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Good quality leather halters...??

I've been searching for probably about 2 months for good quality leather halters and I think I've hit a brick wall! So I'm hoping someone here can help me or lead me in the right direction.

My issue is, to start I need to order about 10 to 15 of each size, cob, horse and WB size so I'm trying to find where I can get these for wholesale prices, so far THAT part hasn't been an issue but as you can see I'm in Canada and everything I've found is all in the US and the shipping is what's getting me, the shipping ends up costing more than the product its self Any tips on how to get around this??

This is sort of what I'm looking for:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/pop_multi_view.asp?pn=X1-05323&pimage=05323.jpg&altImage=||

You could check with Joanne at Hastings track in Vancouver - she has the tack shop there and makes up halters for the sales, etc.

Jo's Tack Repair - 604-253-6164

But there are lots of leather makers in Alberta?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    You could check with Joanne at Hastings track in Vancouver - she has the tack shop there and makes up halters for the sales, etc.

Jo's Tack Repair - 604-253-6164

But there are lots of leather makers in Alberta?
    How do I go about locating these manufacturers?? Thanks for the tip I will try Joanne

Quillin!!!! www.quillin.com
    If you do a search, you'll find that lots of us here love Quillin halters
    They're great to work with and might just be what you want.....
    Y'all ain't right!

Thanks BS but it all comes back to the shipping thing, I looked through there site and they've definately got some nice things but I'm gonna end up paying an arm and a leg for shipping

I like Walsh halters. I buy them off of ebay from someone whose QH keeps winning them out west. She's probably on coth too.

My BO bought some from Dover that are soft and supple. (Not the extra ones for bonus buys that I've bought and given away.)

Ask for a quantity discount. The worst that can happen is that they say "no".

Another happy Quillin halter owner. They rock.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

I have no idea what their shipping costs to Canada would be, but by far the best and most economical halters I've found are from Perri's- you can get them at Jeffers or directly thru Perri's
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Try a custom saddle maker. I would think this would be a "no brainer" for one.

Google produced two; I know nothing more than what their ads say.

http://www.vicbennett.ca/

http://www.soxcadesign.com/eamor/

Are you near any Tandy Leather or other type of leathercraft stores? I'd bet they have names of people who could do the job.

Are there any Amish or Mennonite communities in your area? They generally produce good workmanship and are modestly priced.

Good luck in your search.

G.

Try Fennell's in Lexington, KY.

Honestly, despite the extra shipping charges from Quillin, you'd probably still get a better deal for the quality. Their $40 halters are the equivalent of many tack stores' $90+ halters. Next time I'm in the market for a new leather halter, that's where I'll be shopping.

Fennell's makes quality halters as well (I've had a few). I'd probably go there or Quillin depending on who would ship for the best price.

Also, if you have a little time, you can scout out ebay. Just make sure you get some extra pictures so you can tell if they are quality or not. I've gotten some great halter deals on there. And you can sometimes negotiate shipping.

I don't have any experience shipping stuff to Canada, but I do know that Quillin has amazing customer service. They have always found a way to get me what I need (even if it's not standard). I bet it would be worth a call to see if they can help you too.
    Y'all ain't right!

If I can find the number for Caltack I will send you a pm. I'm not even sure they make halters on a regular basis, but I've had a few of their bridles and I've never been more pleased. And they are Canadian!
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

OKay - Quillon's is good. But, in their (Lexington, KY) area, so are Pinkston's, Clever With Leather, Kentucky Tack and a few others. What do they have in common? The thoroughbred business.
    How close are you to any racetracks? There must be a magazine devoted to Canadian thoroughbred racing - find one and ask around who makes track halters. Can't be all Canadian stables buy their stuff in the states.

There have been a couple threads on recommendations about halters, so try a search.

Love my Dover Pro halter. Quillin's are very popular on here as well.

Dover Pro is made by Walsh. How do I know? I got one with one Dover and one Walsh buckle on it!!

I like these halters a lot and get all of our customers to order them. I have heard great things about Quillin, and will probably use them in the future, but it is so easy to just link the customers to the Dover webpage with these halters.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Thanks guys I really appreciate all the feedback, I really want to try to stay in Canada, otherwise shipping becomes too much

I agree - shipping kills the pleasure of a sale priced item, and the stress of the border - if they are or are not going to charge customs/GST and hold it up for ever....

Took all the fun out of e-bay, too.

Vic Bennett is a really wonderful, super, super custom saddle maker and he can surely put you in touch with the right person, or when I have been in Alberta, there is a newspaper rag that is in the tack shops and I saw lots of leather makers as I recall.

The only Western saddle I have ridden in that has not killed my knees was a Vic Bennett - so easy on my English-trained muscles.

I agree with Walsh...indestructible.

Try some western stores...they have nice leather halters, although most don't come with the little adjustable strap under the chin. Personally, I don't like that setup anyway. The damn buckle is always getting caught up on the lead rope ring.

I love my Quillin halter! It's a little bit big for my pony, but the leather is very soft, and yet sturdy, and I think it's an all around good quality halter.
    Rebel Without Cash!