The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Viagen

So, I open up my Dressage Today and the inside cover has an advert about Mark Watring cloning Sapphire. It goes on to say he plans to stand this horse when he reaches breeding age.
    Will this horse be a registered Holsteiner if he can pass all the inspections? What about his offspring? What is the verband's take on all this? Any info?

Quote Originally Posted by WB Mom View Post
    So, I open up my Dressage Today and the inside cover has an advert about Mark Watring cloning Sapphire. It goes on to say he plans to stand this horse when he reaches breeding age.
    Will this horse be a registered Holsteiner if he can pass all the inspections? What about his offspring? What is the verband's take on all this? Any info?
    Currently the only registry that recognizes and registers clones is the Zangersheide. I suspect it will just be a matter of wait and see until a clones owner actually petitions a registry for approvals. Personally, I think it's just plain good sense to register those animals, even if you keep the resulting offspring into separate books. Without registering, there's no way to really effectively keep track of them. And with the number of clones being produced, it's not something that is probably going to go away any time soon.

Hope that helps!

Kathy St.Martin
    Equine-Reproduction.com, LLC
    Avalon Equine
    To subscribe to our Newsletters, go to:
    http://www.equine-reproduction.com/newsletter

Quote Originally Posted by WB Mom View Post
    Color me confused. I thought Sapphire was a mare. Are we talking about a different horse?

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Reproduction View Post
    Currently the only registry that recognizes and registers clones is the Zangersheide.]
    AES also register clones (has registered E.T.'s clone)
    "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster, And treat those two imposters just the same"
    Rudyard Kipling
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Quartz...26013000796803

Quote Originally Posted by andy.smaga View Post
    AES also register clones (has registered E.T.'s clone)
    I stand corrected <smile>. Thanks Andy...

Kathy St.Martin
    Equine-Reproduction.com, LLC - http://www.equine-reproduction.com
    and
    Avalon Equine - http://www.avalon-equine.com
    To subscribe to our newsletter, go to:
    http://www.equine-reproduction.com/newsletter

There is a new report from The Horse on cloning:

http://www.thehorse.com/enews/06062009.html
    "Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

“So what’s with the years of lessons? You still can’t ride a damn horse?!”

Default 7 up, there are two of them

The one this is referring to is a gray holsteiner gelding. I think they should clone them both and breed them to each other!! That should be a jumping machine!

Quote Originally Posted by paintjumper View Post
    The one this is referring to is a gray holsteiner gelding. I think they should clone them both and breed them to each other!! That should be a jumping machine!
    Thanks. I just went back and reread the original post when this thread came back up today. I don't know why I missed it the first time, but I should have been able to figure out that there was a dressage Sapphire; why would they mention the jumper in a dressage magazine? I need to learn to read.

Talking Ok, 7 up, your still confused, HaHa!

I'm not sure why they were talking about him in a dressage mag but they are both jumpers.

Haha, ok I give up.

The Continental Studbook registers clones also.

www.continentalstudbook.com

horsecloning Guest

Default The Cloning of Mark Watring's horse Sapphire

As both a co-owner of the highly anticipated cloned foal of Sapphire (Holsteiner by Liostro) and an Authorized Representative of ViaGen, I can assure you that we are planning to persue registration with the Holsteiner Registry. At this point, the Belgium "Z" registry Zangersheide is already accepting cloned foals into its books. The other warmblood registries are waiting for us to step forward with "one of their own", at which point they will consider the registration of cloned foals. Starting this fall in the US you will see an assortment of cloned foals coming forward whose donors are all proven performance horses. Europe as usual is way ahead of us in cloning some of their best horses. When you clone a horse, you get a horse that has extremely similar characteristics to the donor in terms of conformation, size, coat color, movement and athletic ability. Even full siblings have varying DNA which can result in different characteristics. For those of us with that one "horse of a lifetime", cloning is the way to reproduce the same characteristics we found so valuable in the first place. For Mark Watring, after riding and showing many horses during his successful career, Sapphire is the one he loves the most. He is looking forward to showing and breeding the cloned foal, which will be left intact (Sapphire was gelded at age 4) to pass on the same strand of DNA that Sapphire would have if he was a stallion.

Default PM

Horsecloning, I've sent you a PM.
    "Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

“So what’s with the years of lessons? You still can’t ride a damn horse?!”