The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Picture and video tips . . .

I can at least see the bottom of my arena now . . . so my mind is spinning as I'm thinking of getting pictures and videos of my stallion . . .

I really want to see if he will free jump . . .but was wondering what to use as a jump, how high it needed to be, what I can do as a one person camera crew until I can have someone help me, what certain things a person wants to see . . . .

I hate to look at those videos that just go on, and on , and on . . .so I would like to cut to the chase and have a definite list of things people will be looking for . . .

Any tips or insight is most appreciated by this greenie weenie flatlander!

Yeah! You asked question instead of making a horribly crappy video that will make your stallion look terrible Good for you!

I'm a h/j so when I look at stallion videos this is what I want:
    - honest view of all gates, both sides
    (not being chased around like a bat out of hell)

- I want to see natural jumping talent, one jump is enough; do not rush your horse over a gymnastic, they require a rider! If you are going to do a gymnastic or any combination of more then one jump, for @*&* sake space them properly!!!!!

- Over 3', but depends on the size of the stallion (they need to get their feet off the ground).

- I would greatly prefer not to have a jumping standard in the way.

- or people or dogs.

- Well lite.

- Slow motion is a plus but don't just take a poor quality video and slow it down, it makes it impossible to see anything.

- Oxers are easier for the horse to stretch over and will make them look better .

For pictures, make sure you are getting straight on side views of the horse jumping (at least on toward the camera is also nice). If you need a better quality camera, higher someone or borrow a camera.

Just a few ideas, GL!!
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Thanks Nes!

I know a bad video or bad picture will do more harm than good . . . and I know there are those little things that make a difference. I sure appreciate you sharing . . .

I am thinking I will just have a photographer come out . . .

Just a couple of brief points:

1. If you are going to have your stallion free jump, please make sure he is taught how to do so properly. Go to the Hanoverian Society website and read the article there on freejumping.

2. DON'T try to do this alone. To get any kind of decent video of a horse at liberty, you will need at LEAST three people - the one with the camera and two helpers to move the horse around for you.

3. Pay CLOSE ATTENTION to your background. It will spoil your video of a nice horse if in the background there is a lot of junk, ugly fences, weeds, vehicles, etc.

4. Learn to use your zoom to keep the screen filled with the horse, but without cutting off any part of him.

5. CRITICAL to film at either early morning or late afternoon and have the sun at the video camer's back and shining ON the horse.

6. DO NOT put the sound on the final disk. No one wants or needs to hear background commentary or shouting at the horse to get him to move, etc.

Good luck!
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Sonesta has great points! Also please don't add music with lyrics! I don't mind a little classical but anything else is too distracting (also you need to pick a tempo that highlights your horse's gaits).
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Thank you Sonesta!!

Great points . . . and I wondered about free jumping . . .

Yep, that is my pet peeve -- junk in the background. I've been trying to touch up paint, and 'set the stage' so I can get some good videos. I have a couple different prospects to get ready as well, so maybe we can get it down to a science.

Hardest part is recruiting help . . . horse friends don't really live very near . . . husband and sons are working . . .I guess that's why I need to make a plan and hope it doesn't rain!!

Yep . . . at this point, I will just be thrilled if I can get pictures with no sound . . . hadn't even thought about music.