The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Conformation Comparison to Mare in Uncontroversial/Non-confrontational Conformation C

This is a pic of our soon-to-be-gelded colt at 3 weeks. He was a little butt high at the time, but that just goes back and forth. He is now two months, but it is so hard to get a good conformation shot of the little boogers!

Bred to be an Eventer (probably never higher than Prelim, unless I get a lot more nerve or someone buys him). We are still considering breeding back to the stud (Connemara stallion ArdCeltic Art). Out of a nice, hunter type TB mare.

http://bookendfarm.com/RockyConf3weeks1.jpg

What do you see?
    Thanks!
    Bookend Farm
    www.bookendfarm.com

When we look at this little guy compared to the last mare, we see a huge difference in the loin coupling (this is the area between the point-of-croup and point-of-hip). Where as she had a relatively weak coupling (lots of open space) this little guy has a very strong coupling (very little space) and thus will have a much stronger back. Great for jumping as well as carrying his rider.

He has a very nice, laid back shoulder which is going to allow him a big stride on the front end and help him tuck his knees up when he jumps (remember when looking at his shoulder his head is up).

He's also pretty level for being a bum-high youngster which will help him carry himself with dressage (and everything else).

He has has very proportionate thirds, where his shoulder/back/hindquarter are all in equal length to one another.

So he's going to have a powerful driving engine, a short strong back and a nice flexible shoulder. A very nicely conformed little baby.
    (I'm not going to comment on his legs, just because they are splayed out in the dirt).

I don't want to start a whole thing because I'm sure you have reasons (and good ones) for gelding him. However, were there an option, in his case I would wait a little while longer to see how he grows *ducks for cover*
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Default To geld or not to geld?

Thanks, Nes!

I am very appreciative of your analysis and find it interesting that you mentioned possibly waiting to geld him. He is a TB/Connemara cross, but both parents are approved Old/ISR, so he will be going to inspections in a few months. He is super easy to handle. Maybe we should wait until then to geld?

I would love more opinions!!
    Bookend Farm
    www.bookendfarm.com

Nes,

Can you do the line drawing thing to show me what you mean about the loin?
    Last edited by dilligaff2; Jun. 25, 2009 at 02:03 PM. Reason: speeling
    Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique

Yeppers. So you want to look both at the point of croup (the bit on top that sticks up, and where the back and croup both slope downwards from), and the point of hip (the knobby bit that sticks out). You can see how one this guy his POC is actually a tiny bit ahead of his POH. His loins have very strong, short muscles which will help him collect.

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu269/knitness/rocky.jpg

The best way to look at your horses loins is actually to stand above them, you can see a triangle formed by their points of hip then to the dip in the back.

You can actually see both POHs and POC very well on his dame in this picture of Rocky & his dame http://bookendfarm.com/May2ndPic3web.jpg

BE - I looked up his parents (I really think that's important when evaluating a foal and what they will look like) I think you've creating something better then the sum of his parts. He seems to have gotten the best attributes from both parents . Time will only tell, if you have the ability to keep him ungelded (with him specifically, not all colts!) just think of it as you can't undo gelding but you can always do it later, unless he gets excessively studdy.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Need You Now Equine

Thank you again for the info, Nes!

I will definitely think about keeping him intact until the inspections...actually, he may do that for me, since he has yet to drop!

So, in your opinion, do you think this is a good enough cross to rebreed?
    Bookend Farm
    www.bookendfarm.com

IMO, I would wait to geld him and see what he looks like around 3 or 4 then make a decision (waiting until inspection should give you a good idea too). If he can compete & win, people will love that he's tb/con (I've seen lots in the small hunters!) and not care about the crossbreed part. Based on his conformation now I would say he's definitely going to be a winner.

We'll see if anyone else wants to disagree.
    Need You Now Equine