The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Attention Knitters!

Yes, this is horse related.

I just got an email from IK with a book announcement. The new Ann Budd book called Knitted Gifts has a hobby horse (stick horse) in it. It is absolutely the cutest thing I have ever seen. So if you have a kidlet you need a Christmas, birthday, etc. gift for (or need a stick horse for any other reason, like house decoration, class at a horse show, or just because it's so darned cute), you need to hop on this one. It's available for pre-order at IK.
    'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
    - Pablo Picasso

Definitely make sure Reynard Ridge knows about this. She's in the states this summer for only 6 weeks, so she needs to grab it while she can to take back to China.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

There is also a very cute horse-pillow in the knit-pix catalogue, although I'm still way too enamoured with that little pea-coat to get more then 1/3 of the way into the catalogue at all
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Thanks, Sleepy-maybe it will help me break my addiction to socks!

Combining my horsey addiction with my knitting habit is either enabling at it's best or just downright diabolical! But thanks for the heads up.

You want to talk about obsessive horse related knitting?!. My friend and I wrote patterns for twinned knitted browbands when I needed a browband for my double bridle (for schooling, but I'm a college student, and food and grain take precedence over browbands). You can't use them in shows, but they're fun, pretty, and a quick and easy knit. I use my left over sock yarn and acrylic yarns to make them. Plus, you can just throw them in the washing machine when they get dirty.

I just recently broke down and purchased a crocheted ear net. But why are they always crocheted? Why not knitted? Has anyone been enterprising enough to come up with a pattern to knit them? I'd love to make them in fun colors and/or as gifts, but I'm not a pattern-creating-genius.

You have all joined Ravelry, right? There is a pattern posted there for a knitted ear net.

Come join the horse group there. You'll find a link to the pattern.
    - Pablo Picasso

I'm a Ravelry-er, but never thought to look for a horse group! I'll get on that right now. Thanks!!

I third raverly, best (non horse) site ever! There are lots of crochet items too.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

I will check it out, CM!

I confess to not being much of a toy knitter, but I have a few stuffed patterns queued on Ravlery for those long winter nights.

I had totally forgotten to check Ravelry for horsey knits - d'oh!
    (I need to get something on my needles that isn't dog related... and my first pair of socks isn't quite entertaining enough at the moment (I'm working on the leg) to be my sole project - no pun intended!)

Anybody want to share Ravelry usernames? I'm bdj over there as well.

Just what I need, more excuses to buy yarn. I always justify my purchases as being so much less than horse stuff, but my stash is getting rather too large.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by bdj View Post
    Anybody want to share Ravelry usernames? I'm bdj over there as well.
    I'm on Ravelry as "iownapaint" too.

bdj - you need to take pics of your finished projects! Your Ravelry profile looks so naked!
    Aren't these lovely... Designer Browbands You know you want one!

I'm divajls and my ravelry page is pretty naked too.

Quote Originally Posted by iownapaint View Post
    I'm on Ravelry as "iownapaint" too.

bdj - you need to take pics of your finished projects! Your Ravelry profile looks so naked!

I know - it's kind of sad - but in my defense - I don't have a digital camera or a computer of my own (I do all of my posting from work)!

I think I need to go on a yarn diet and save up for a netbook and a bare-bones digi-cam...

And by the way - I LOVE your No Bow Cardigan - it's beautiful!

Does anyone crochet pommel pads any more? I remember back in the 80's when they were really popular and we would make them in our barn colors to use while schooling? Do people even use them anymore?

Ok so I just read a thread about old horse show fads and the pommel pad was vastly bashed. So I guess they are not popular anymore. Wow, I feel so old. Some people don't even know what they are.
    Last edited by PONY751; Jun. 29, 2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: update
    Sailing the high seas but secretly wishing to be on the back of a horse.

I actually saw pommel pads in my local tack store not too long ago.

And a few years ago a former COTHer wanted me to make custom ones for the store she manages. So they may not be 'cool' anymore, but apparently some folks must still use 'em.
    - Pablo Picasso

Glad to hear they haven't died out entirely. I must admit I still use one that I've had since the 80's. I love it! It was given to me by a rider that I really looked up to and I thought I was so special at the time. I used it even when I didn't necessarily need to. Sleepy, do you have a pattern?
    Sailing the high seas but secretly wishing to be on the back of a horse.

I saw some pommel pads at a tack shop last week! Hadn't seen them in ages and got a warm, fuzzy feeling from seeing them. I was never cool enough to have one, but I sure wanted one back then.