The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Warm up tips for HOT weather?

I was thinking how to conserve my energy and my horse's energy in the warm up to have something left for our tests in the HOT weather.

It'll be 90F+ this weekend and I'm showing and warming out in the outside arena under the blazing sun! My AC is working at home and in my car and I'm still hot. Yet, I'll have to sit the trot, including the extended trot in the temps of 90F+... My horse gets quite sweaty after the line of tempi changes. I get quite sweaty after sitting the diagonal of the extended trot.

Please share your tips?

*lots of walk work, including lateral work
    *lots of canter/walk and canter/halt transitions
    *electrolytes for both me and my mare
    *cooling misting spray on my mare and myself as well
    *cool medics vest for me
    *not sit the trot at the warm up
    *not wear a jacket for the test
    *use our first test as a "warm up" for more difficult movements.
    *shorter warm up.

Any more ideas?

It sounds like you have your bases covered. Most important thing for you and your horse is to stay hydrated...I live in AZ and have had this drilled into me. Aim for a short but productive warm-up and ditch your coat if it is too hot.

I also hose my head off - if hair is in a braid, it will hold the moisture in and feel cold for a bit. Also hose off my bra, holds in some cooling moisture. Cold water on horse's belly, chest, and legs as often as possible. And use the walk for much of the warm up. Good luck...
    www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
    Director, WTF Registry

Ice down your bra helps - although it causes some problems - "Down the road" so to speak.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Smile ater crystal scarf and vetrolin

I used scarves that had water crystals sewn into them. I wet the crystals and then froze the scarf individually. Carried them in the cooler with the gatorade. The crystals froze more individually, sort of like peas. I tied the scarf like a stock tie. It kept ice on the veins and kept my head cool. Each one was good for about 30 min at 100 degrees and high humidity. Pm me if you would like the website that has directions for making them. They are used for soldiers in Iraq and Afganistan.

In Eventing, in the 10 minute vet box, years ago, we used water diluted vitrolin because the camphor evaporated quicly and dropped the horses temperature very quickly. It also worked on riders, especially splashed on the inside of the elbows and lower arms. I don't know if it is legal now for dressage or your level of dressage. But if you think you might faint, it really makes a difference!

If you are wearing a top hat, leave it off for the warm up also.

I agree, especially with the hosing off the head, that's where your heat is. Keep your helmet/hat off until the last possible moment, if you can. Hosing the horse's belly and legs is immeasurable, too. Lucky horse.

Hydrate, hydrate hydrate. Super hydrate. If you feel nauseaus, you are probably in need of water. Let him have water. Nap in a cool spot. 15 minutes really helps.

Also, you can warm up doing ground work, if you have been working with him from the ground. Not lunging, I am thinking of ground work by his shoulder, holding the reins with both hands as in riding, walking at his shoulder with a dressage whip to give cues. He listens and you can do tight circles, lateral movements, but you aren't on him, sparing him your weight, but flexing and alerting him to your body language.

Good luck. Its hard, you're on the right track.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

When do you hose your head off? At home or you re-hose it at the show?

Thumbs up short and quick, shade and misting fan

Make warmup short and quick; stay under shade tent in front of misting much ss possible
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Exclamation ice cold!

freeze washcloths and put in plastic bags to take with you ; put them on your head, also your horses' poll; remove before entering the arena; take a bag of ice with you; station your cooler in a shade tent near the arena; find someone to go with you to hand you a bottle of water andcoldcloths, put a towel soaked in icewater on your horses'neck; have someone with a scraper to scrape off your horse periodicallly Shade is vedry important!
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Cool Medics also makes a helmet insert to keep your head cool. It is probably too late to get one for this weekend, but may be worth getting for the next show or just for general schooling throughout the summer.

Good luck!

Do a lot of stretching first to shorten the warmup, if you don't already stretch your horses legs/neck/back. A quick walk-trot followed by 15 - 20 minutes of stretching is a nice option for hot weather.

If you wet a scarf or bandana from time to time and tuck it neatly under your helmet, you can stay very cool. We also do this rock climbing, and it is very helpful. That way you don't have to dunk/hose your head, you can be more dignified
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Cool Medics: http://www.coolmedics.com/categories...ry=Riding-Wear have the gels beads fabrics soaked in water = that basically works like a wet t-shirt or wet bandana and stays wet longer. I will be wearing a white one that is also legal to wear at the show per USDF/USEF rules. but their hat insert, doesn fit in to my hat and my helmet is much more hoter than my top hat.

However a wet towel for my horse's neck is a good idea and a wet bra for me! Never tried a wet bra yet! Also like ziplock with ice idea!

There is no shade at that show, only the indoor arena where the tests are shown and we can't go there unless we show a test. So much for the shade I wish they would do the warm up in the covered arena and tests in the not-covered arena, but unfortunately that is not the case.

I do only 30 minute warm up for my first test and 20 minute warm up for my second test in normal weather (including walking). So in hot weather, I probably will try to do the same amount of time, but most of it will be walk work. I can do manual stretches on the ground, but they actually take more energy from me, since horse's legs are so heavy for me to lift and pull for a stretch. My hubby will be with me, but he is (gasp) is afraid of horses! So there is no chance that he will be stretching my opinionated Alpha Chestnut Mare’s legs

I hose my head off at the show - both before my ride and after it. I wouldn't bother with a Cool Medics head thing - ANYTHING over your head is just more stuff on your head - better to hose and keep your head breathing as much as possible...

And yes, you'll have some drips coming down your neck from wet hair - but I would rather have cool water drips then the sweat that drips into my eyes
    www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
    Director, WTF Registry

Just a brief note about the hosing of your horse...I learned from my stint as an event groom that sponging on ice water, but IMMEDIATELY scrape off and repeat until water comes off cool works best. Water left on will actually hold/reflect your mare's body heat. This worked great on my trainers horse after a one star cross country trip in VA in June. Have fun!!

Wink Breathe through a frozen towel/cloth for a few moments

Taking Carol Ames suggestion one step further...during walk breaks in warm up and just before you go into the arena, take a few moments and breathe in the cold vapors from the frozen cloth/towel. I literally cup the frozen cloth over my nose and mouth and take several deep breaths. You'll be surprised how much this simple act helps. I find it gives me a fresh burst of energy and helps to clear my mind. I suffer from the heat severely (I over sweat and dehydrate easily...previous history of heat stroke and heat exhaustion), and find this helps considerably.

Good luck!
    "It's not a mistake if you knew what you were doing was wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by fizzyfuzzybuzzy View Post
    Just a brief note about the hosing of your horse...I learned from my stint as an event groom that sponging on ice water, but IMMEDIATELY scrape off and repeat until water comes off cool works best. Water left on will actually hold/reflect your mare's body heat. This worked great on my trainers horse after a one star cross country trip in VA in June. Have fun!!
    That is really interesting, Fizzy. I always thought that leaving the water on kept them cooler. I'm definitely going to make sure I scrape my girl every time now.
    Rebel Without Cash!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubies and Pearls View Post
    That is really interesting, Fizzy. I always thought that leaving the water on kept them cooler. I'm definitely going to make sure I scrape my girl every time now.
    It's the evaporation of the water that cools them down, not the water itself. If you leave the water on it will drip down the body and pool, collecting heat, then slowly drip off. By scraping off the excess you are removing the "hot" water so that cool can take its place.

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

What an interesting thread this has been. Great question, OP.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

On a really hot day, hose your horse off and scrape before you tack him.