The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Delaware Park contacts?

I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a good person to talk to at Delaware Park or Fair Hill to find some work? I went down to Delaware Park two weeks ago, I waited at the gate as they announced for a groom or hot walker but no one came up saying they needed help. I left my number on the board and spoke with the person in the tack store if anyone was looking for help. I just want to groom or hot walk a couple days a week. I'm in real need of the job.
    Last edited by JerseyGirlEQ; Jul. 12, 2009 at 05:49 PM. Reason: More information added

I would look for someone at Fair Hill. I don't like a lot of the people at Delaware.

Quote Originally Posted by DickHertz View Post
    I would look for someone at Fair Hill. I don't like a lot of the people at Delaware.
    That's doable, Fair Hill is only another 20 minutes for me then DE. How do I go about doing it there? Same deal just go up to the gate and say i'm looking for work? Or should I contact someone directly?

And also what is the best time in the morning to be down there?

Call there and see when training ends and go there at that time.

Default Update...

I updated my original post as well, but I'm still looking to get in down at the track either at Delaware Park or Fair Hill. I've tried going to the gate one day and leaving my number on the board but hasn't worked so far. I intend to go down again this week (prob tomorrow) and try again. If anyone knows who I can contact directly about an opening that would be great. I have 11 years working and riding. I've ridden hunters and dressage horses. I can bathe, pull manes, hot walk, wrap, etc. I have experience handling horses off the track, but I've never worked on the track. I learn quick, I have reliable transportation, and I work hard. I'll be there everyday I'm supposed to be rain or shine...please put me to work!

I know here, training starts at 530. I don't have to be here 'til 15 mins before but I know the grooms and hotwalkers get here at least an hour ahead of time. Go to the gate, or if you can, just ask whoever you can if they need help.

Check yard and groom, there was an asst. BM position just posted recently for Fair Hill. Don't know much beyond that it was posted, and what exactly they are looking for.

You just have to go barn to barn and ask for a job. Trainers aren't going to go look on a bulletin board to find a groom, they're tyically hired from word of mouth or from being approached. last week someone did that, we said we were OK, went to the next barn and saw him working there on Monday.

I can't get backside at Delaware Park without first having a position....so going to the barns isn't going to work there. I can't go past security without a pass and I can't get a pass until someone comes up to give me a job...its a lousy circle :-(

Default job

I've yet to see any "americans "get turned away for jobs at any racetrack I've worked at....and most of the hispanic help makes the same money as everyone else...some more b/c they are good, reliable and pleasant to work with. The racetrack has the same issues as many employers...there are a whole lot of "americans" that would rather do something less physical that pays more.....aroung Ctown that usually means dealing drugs!

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

make up some business cards, simple, your name, your skills (like groom, hotwalker, exercise rider)... your contact info... stand at the gate, hand out as they pass through. tough...but, only way right now you can gain contact with them..and then, be there the next day...

also... look up Delware park trainers -- see who is who... you can go to the front office and ask for contact info..but you need a name. then, in a very businesslike manner, contact...or watch the races -- you can look up the overnights for entries --- have your business cards ready.

If you are really determined to work at this track.... these are the only 3 ways right now I can think of... I have a trainer at Penn who is from Del... I will ask her tomorrow what her suggestions are. ok?

I would call Sally Goswell at Fair Hill, she knows everything- Kathy Anderson's office might have some ideas, she is the vet on site at Fair Hill- you could also check with Jess Griffiths who is now doing the Canter work at Delaware- she knows a lot of people on the backside (JLeeGriffith here on COTH) and might have some suggestions.

It has always been my experience that if you are committed, hard working, on time and sober, it is easy to find a job- even if it is just walking hots to get your foot in the door. Of course nowadays everyone has those nice walkers....

Of course it might be harder to just find a job a few days a week......most want you 6-7 days- but you could act as a fill in for other workers on their days off.