The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best mane and tail conditioner?

I recently bought a young Clyde/TB cross mare who is lovely with a VERY thick mane and tail. When I bathe her, I use Cowboy Magic detangler and usually spray Show Sheen on her tail. In just a couple of days that tail is again like a brillo pad. Needless to say, since it's very wavey and thick, it's a magnet for twigs and such from the pasture.

I need suggestions for products that will help soften her mane and tail. Please share your secrets for lovely, manageable tails.

Thanks,

SD

Coconut oil, you can buy it at any walmart. I use it weekly after a bath and it doesn't "coat" the hair like Show Sheen will, it literally soaks in, and leaves it super soft. Also, on a daily use, I use PINK, the stuff found in the ethnic hair section. Again, does not coat the hair, but soaks in, leaves it super soft and repells dirt!
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA
    http://www.GallopingGrape.com

Cowbow Magic Conditioner.

Shampoo & then apply CM Conditioner. I let it sit for like 5 minutes then rinse out. Hair feel marvelous!!!! Works just as good as when I used to do hot oil treatments - and this is so much less time consuming!

Quote Originally Posted by ShayDarra View Post
    I recently bought a young Clyde/TB cross mare who is lovely with a VERY thick mane and tail. When I bathe her, I use Cowboy Magic detangler and usually spray Show Sheen on her tail. In just a couple of days that tail is again like a brillo pad. Needless to say, since it's very wavey and thick, it's a magnet for twigs and such from the pasture.

I need suggestions for products that will help soften her mane and tail. Please share your secrets for lovely, manageable tails.

Thanks,

SD
    I have a Belgian X! Her mane and tail are really coarse. Daily care is the only thing that works. The woman who rode her most days left my barn so now her tail is awful! She spent time on that tail everytime she got her out. The current rider doesn't do this!

Her mane is worse with enough mane for two!

I like Cowboy Magic too!
    Steph

http://community.webshots.com/user/stephanne014

Rerider/Haydunker Clique

RIP Barbaro, you were my hero!

Your problem might be the Cowboy Magic (detangler) and the Show Sheen. Both products are quite drying, in my experience. I try to use Show Sheen for shows only, then when I get home, I immediately wash and condition the tail.

As far as conditioning goes, I just use a regular people conditioner (like Suave, something cheap), and that usually works quite well. Let it sit for a bit while you wash the rest of the body or something, then get it wet again and see if you can detangle (keeping it wet helps you slide through the tangles. If it's still pretty tangled, you could rinse and apply a detangler or do a second coat of conditioner and try again. Also, there's always hand picking once dry if you're a fanatic = ) I used to mainly work saddle seat saddlebreds, and those tails NEVER saw a comb. Hand picking ONLY!!! Haha.

I'd say maybe use Show Sheen (or some other detangler )to get the tangles out then condition again? Detanglers just often leave a drying residue that is not conducive to a healthy tail. Consider conditioning more often perhaps? That will help keep the tail soft and should minimize tangles.

Also, I've heard GREAT things about that PINK stuff raved about on here. I haven't bought any yet, but if I ever make it out to Walmart, I plan to try some.

Suave has always worked for me!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by GallopingGrape View Post
    Coconut oil, you can buy it at any walmart. I use it weekly after a bath and it doesn't "coat" the hair like Show Sheen will, it literally soaks in, and leaves it super soft. Also, on a daily use, I use PINK, the stuff found in the ethnic hair section. Again, does not coat the hair, but soaks in, leaves it super soft and repells dirt!
    I keep forgetting to try the coconut oil! I'm using skinsosoft bath oil now, after using everything else anyone on coth has recommended. Great thing about skinsosoft in the tail is that it repels flies when horse swishes his tail.

Healthy Haircare Moisturizer w/ Lanolin mix 1 part to 8 parts water. i love this stuff. helps with dry skin as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    Healthy Haircare Moisturizer w/ Lanolin mix 1 part to 8 parts water. i love this stuff. helps with dry skin as well.
    DITTO! Best stuff ever made, and CHEAP!

Thanks all! Guess the bottom line is that I just HAVE to condition her tail each time she gets a bath. The after bath detangler is just not enough. I will buy Healthy Haircare Moisturizer when I go to the tack store Sunday.

And I do use PINK (or a Pink version depending on where I buy it) and that stuff really is great! When grooming before lunging, it's very effective. Just does not seem to have any residual benefits The best part of Pink is the price!

If I discover any really wonderful products in this process, I will share.

SD

Pink, Healthy Haircare moisturizer, and Infusium-23 are the best products I have used.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

the best stuff I have ever found is Canter Silk mane and tail conditioner

it doesn't last 2 weeks like they say but I get about 5 days out of it with my 2 horses

smells good too! i believe its made by Carr Day and Martin

Eqyss survivor or coconut oil are my top picks.

Vetrolin Detangler.

Quote Originally Posted by GallopingGrape View Post
    Where is the coconut oil in Walmart? In the hair section? Or like, um, in the...coconut section?

I have a Clyde-X, too, and per COTHers, tried Infusium 23 Leave In (human stuff...also from Wal-Mart). It smells awesome, isn't greasy/oily and does a fab job on Penny's 4X thick tail.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Suave has always worked for me!
    Same here!

Quote Originally Posted by Seven-up View Post
    Where is the coconut oil in Walmart? In the hair section? Or like, um, in the...coconut section?
    Skin care section.

Half-Andalusian mommy here I feel your pain!

I use Mane 'n Tail because it's cheap, the detangler is pretty good. I found CM too expensive, and show sheen leaves too much residue (which, when she's REALLY tangled is a good thing). Ivory soap does great things because it's gentle and very cleansing. Of course I may have a different view on how expensive detanglers when I have to go thorough 1/4 bottle of it at a time . (I'd like to pay around $8 a bottle and can never find anything for less then $15)

I try to use as little product as possible (because of the cost) really the biggest thing is brushing it out every single day. I've learned my lesson after a couple 3 and 4 hour sessions getting everything detangled again.

I start with a wide tooth plastic brush (can never remember the name, orange packaging - the teeth break but the whole things are cheap so they don't damage the hair). The go to a wide tooth metal brush, then finish with my pulling comb to get the last bits of dirt out. I always comb before I wash and be carefull when washing or you'll just mash all the hair together again.

And then I braid. I've had lots of people freak out over how frequently I braid telling me all her tail hair will fall out - I've been at this for almost 4 years now and the only time she lost hair was to a burr bush! Lots of polo ponies are braided for turn out every day - coupled with a tail bag it really is the best way to keep everything clean. I like to leave some hair out the top of the tail bag if possible, keeps them warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer - but again I get allot of "that tail bag is too tight you're going to pull all her hair off!" UGH!

I did try something once with a bunch of knots you kept under a loose piece of tail, it did work but I didn't use enough detangler so it got messy after a week. If she has to go a week or two on her own I'll use that method (wish I remembered the technique but I lost the web-page).

I think I got such a head-start (ha ha) on my mare's hair care because it's just like mine - curly, wild, and completely unmanageable
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Quote Originally Posted by luvmywalkers View Post
    Skin care section.
    I found mine in the hair care section in with the ethnic hair products...