The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dutch Stallion information

The Dutch (KWPN) are temporally allowing the general public to take advantage of their complete stallion information, free of charge. There is everything from pedigree ,testing results,conformation index, to offspring reports. Check it out! I am having a ball, it is addicting!
    http://hengsten.kwpn.nl/index_en.asp?lang=uk

I'll take a look.

Thanks.

It might be instructive to look at the stallion Faram who lost his approval.

I, of course, went through all the TB stallions first and was a bit suprised that African Drums was a very close relative of my mare Heartbreaking whom I use to breed sporthorses. They share the same 5th dam and considering he was bred in 1960, as close as your gonna get!

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Which stallions have the most ideal scores on the linear score sheet?

can you only click on the x-rays if they are not so good?

how does one best read the conformation /characterstiic chart?

Thanks

I'd like the x-ray section explained too.

I don't think you can see them, I think the numbers indicate the grading.

it seems not all stallions have x-rays scores or esle they only show the ones that deviate from the norm? This is all very interesting! Thanks for the link.

Look at the linear scores on Rosseau.

There is also a linear score sheet on Rohdiamont.

Notes are complimentary of Idocus.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakstable View Post
    Notes are complimentary of Idocus.
    We thought the comments on Idocus were that he is rather average (or just slightly above average... i.e. sufficient). Overall we were rather surprised by the comments on many of the stallions… (and not so surprised by some ). At one point we were looking for a baseline of comparison, but there are no write ups of the truly great stallions like Contender. Of the stallions we’ve looked at, Lingh has far the most complementary comments about him.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Idocus serviced all sorts of mares: American Thoroughbreds, KWPN mares and old-fashioned Hannoverian mares. The uniformity, especially of the forehand and the manner of movement, is very remarkable. Idocus clearly puts his stamp on his offspring.<<<<<<<<<<<<<

This is a quote.

If anyone sees anything on any stallion as complimentary as this, I'd like to see it.

Meanwhile, I will look up Lingh.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Idocus serviced all sorts of mares: American Thoroughbreds, KWPN mares and old-fashioned Hannoverian mares. The uniformity, especially of the forehand and the manner of movement, is very remarkable. Idocus clearly puts his stamp on his offspring.<<<<<<<<<<<<<

This is a quote.

If anyone sees anything on any stallion as complimentary as this, I'd like to see it.

Meanwhile, I will look up Lingh.
    I think we are looking at different things. My comments were grounded in the following:

Idocus
    "Conformation
    Idocus is a more than sufficiently developed, sufficient riding type stallion in more than sufficient rectangular model. He has a well-formed poll-neck formation. The base is well developed with a correct stance. The foreleg should be a little longer."

Lingh
    "Conformation description 2005
    Lingh is a generously developed riding type stallion. The head is expressive. The neck has good length and shape. The shoulder is well developed. The croup has good length and is well muscled. The stance of the foreleg is correct. The hindleg is somewhat sickle hocked. The bone of the legs has quality."

Some choose words rather haphazardly… others take considerable care. We are of the latter group… and noted the superlatives for Lingh… and the absence of as many superlatives for Idocus. I am not suggesting that we favor one stallion over the other. In fact, I would guess that Idocus has had many more foals and to date much bigger impact on breeding in this country. With respect to the material you quoted above, without question, it is valuable for breeders to consider what a stallion produces.

Yes, we are talking about stallions, not just riding horses.

I'm not buying the stallion, I am looking for what might compliment my mares.

If you read the KWPN stallion and foal reports, you get used to micro criticism.

That's why the sentences I quoted re Idocus rather stood out for me.

Btw, did you see Rampal on the list? We did not.

No Rampal.

Here is a quote re Zeoliet who stood in VT for a few years with Scot Tolman.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Though it varies a little, the total collection has more than sufficient movement. In a number of cases the hindleg should be brought underneath a little more and a few times it would be nice to have more scope. However, there were also foals with excellent movement that showed much balance, scope and regularity. All foals were attractive and liked to show off.

In short: generously developed, more than sufficient type foals with a well-developed foundation. Their movement ranges from more than sufficient to good.
    Shown: 53 foals out of 250 breedings.

Offspring 1989 (3-yr olds)
    Zeoliet will remain approved on the basis of his 3-year old offspring evaluation.

Term of approval 1993
    The stallion Zeoliet will be approved for a term of 3 years. Because of the positive influence that Zeoliet seems to have on the breeding program it was decided to approve the stallion for a term of 3 years. His latest index scores leave him with a score of 127 (84%) for jumping and an amazing 160 (77%) for dressage.

Term of approval 1998
    Zeoliet is again approved for 3 years.

Offspring 1998
    Zeoliet is permanently approved on the basis of his 11-year old offspring.<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The Dutch system is seeking to cull stallions who don't pass the muster. That's why they look again and again at the stallion's offspring once he has approval which in itself is an achievement in the KWPN system.

No Rampal.

Why "no Rampal?" Isn't he Olympic Rampal? I realize he is not exactly the stallion on everyone’s Top Ten list these days … but I always thought there was so much to love about him. And, in person he struck me as such a gentleman… with such a kind eye.

Rampal received the crown predicate in 1999.

He was licensed by the NA/WPN with a 93AA which is very high.

Since he was licensed in NA, the KWPN would not have the same kind of records they do on stallions who stood in Holland.

I was looking at the scores for sickle hocks on Contender, Contango and his son Citango.

These guys are really high on the dressage indexes.

I know Jazz is also sickle hocked.

So how much should we care about sickle hocks?

Better to have too much angle than too straight in the hind legs?

I am missing a stallion - what are the requirements to be listed there ?
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Foals 2014: Black filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    Black colt Likoto xx - Florencio - Prince Thatch xx