The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Rings or slides?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rings

37 84.09%
  • Slides (traditional kind)

7 15.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default Poll: Figure 8 with rings or slides?

Which do you prefer, and why?

Rings!! I tried numerous different brands and sizes with slides and none of them fit my thbds chunky head. The rings allow more adjustment so you can make sure you fit it right.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

I didn't vote because I don't really have a preference, but I think the ones with slides actually offer more adjustment than those with rings. I have used both, and don't really prefer one over the other, but my current one with rings (Nunn Finer) is limited in its adjustment, so that the buckle for the lower strap wants to lie right over his lip (a problem that I have heard a number of people complain about). That said, I kind of like the way the rings look better than the slides.

Rings, only because there's nothing worse than trying to mess around with the sliding kind when you're 10 minutes away from your SJ time...
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

I use one without rings because of the improved fit. I usually leave the top part done up and just loosen the bottom/flash part to take the bridle on and off. It cuts down on fiddling with it, and allows quite a custom fit that you can reproduce over and over even when you're in a rush.

Quote Originally Posted by McVillesMom View Post
    I didn't vote because I don't really have a preference, but I think the ones with slides actually offer more adjustment than those with rings. I have used both, and don't really prefer one over the other, but my current one with rings (Nunn Finer) is limited in its adjustment, so that the buckle for the lower strap wants to lie right over his lip (a problem that I have heard a number of people complain about). That said, I kind of like the way the rings look better than the slides.

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by McVillesMom View Post
    I agree too!

I agree with Clivers. Easier to get it all set up and have it stay, assuming the fit is good. If you have very tough fit horse, sliders might be better, but I've used the rings on a bunch of horses and liked it
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Another vote for the rings!

have both. When Buzz was in training we needed the slides, as that is what his rider preferred. That is what I use now, as I can get a better custom fit on a long but slender TB face with the slides.
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Oh my God, rings. Otherwise the damn thing turns into a Rubik's cube when you try to adjust it. But you DO need one that fits properly, otherwise God help you.
    Click here before you buy.

I have one with rings and wish it was the sliding variety instead. My greenie has a hard to fit head. He is one of the big warmblood-looking OTTBs with a head to match. He is "oversized" in the Nunn Finer bridles so I got him an oversized Rodrigo with rings (I think they look better) when VTO had their last big sale. Anything smaller would be too little in the browband, but otherwise it is almost too big. If it didn't have the rings, the fit would be a whole lot more customizable and better overall.
    Last edited by FoxChaser; Jun. 25, 2009 at 06:41 PM.

Thanks, all! Rings seem to be winning, except for horses with funny heads.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Oh my God, rings. Otherwise the damn thing turns into a Rubik's cube when you try to adjust it. But you DO need one that fits properly, otherwise God help you.
    What DW said...