The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I've had my 2 - 27yo TB and 16yo TWH - on MSM for about 2 years now.
    Started as a joint supplement for the TB and for respiratory issues in the TWH.

Neither has had any noticeable change in temperament, but I have noticed the TB peeing up a storm. At his age I'm happy to see healthy kidney function.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    I heard the exact opposite!
    I know! I just googled it and it appears to be more helpful than harmful. Darn those crazy western ridin' folk that tried to convince me that it is evil, lol.

Ah well, good to know either way, no matter how misled I previously was.

Quote Originally Posted by lstevenson View Post
    I wonder why MSM would make a horse spooky?
    Not certain, but one possible explaination-- Sulfur (essentially what you are getting from MSM) is a calcium receptor antagonist (it blocks calcium from being absorbed). Calcium levels can influence anxiety in humans. Perhaps a similar reaction in some horses-- explaining why they aren't all spooky on MSM, only certain ones.

I assure you that the increased levels of spookiness in my horse's case was not due to the fat he was feeling better. He has spunk, but that is MUCH different from spookiness. The same horse on banamine or bute on occasions where he had been worked hard, etc never got spooky.

I've had all my horses on it daily -- many from a few weeks of age. About 8 of them are now between 16 and 19 years old. So that's a long time - no problems. In fact, if there was only one supplement available to me, it would be MSM. (above glucosamine/chondroitan even).

Some MSM products may contain fillers -- could that be the problem some people say they have? I use Vita Flex MSM (pure).

Sid,
    What do you use MSM for?

Have you tried dropping it and noticed changes?

I had 4 older horses I put on it and had a bad reaction in one of the four - she dropped a ton of weight really quickly and was very jumpy. My vet had me take all of them off it . I haven't used it since on any other horses.
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

I took MSM and it helped my knee pain but made me so aggitated I had to stop taking it.

I have a headshaker on MSM and it has done wonders for her. And this is a filly we have always had to watch with regards to stupid behavoir. And I'm not getting anything reactive out of her at all which is a miracle.

But I have 2 others on it for arthritis. A 14yo ex-chaser and a 12 yo broodmare. I use it with other things and I guess you could say they're a little reactive. A little spooky at certain things, but not something that affects my life or theirs. But as I got them in later years, I couldn't tell you what they were like before. What I do know is they are healthy, sound, and happy so a little spookiness really doesn't bother me.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Default 22 horses on it here

There are 22 horses here (all ages - foals to old broodies, and many riding horses in between), and they are all on MSM. Not one of them has any negative reaction to it. One FEI horse can have smelly poo, but the current brand I use doesn't seem to be a problem. Fellow breeder friends and I feed it to our young growing stock to promote healthy tissue, and I am talking from foals on up. Riding horses receive larger amounts of MSM for it's anti-infamitory properties.

I wonder if the horses who get jumpy are on the cheaper MSMs that have fillers.

A friend of mine uses MSM for her arthritic knees and swears by it. She lives in SF and used mass transit, and sitting for any time at all was agony.

She buys the pure stuff through me from Dynamite.

Oakstable -- I start all my babies on it to help prevent physitis, for working horses and elderly horses for its natural anti-inflammatory properties.

My gosh -- I started using it back in '87 for a VERY arthritic former schoolie/competitor (jumper) I had bought for my then husband. I thought the horse was 18 -- turns out he was, as my dentist said, at least 28! Frankly, he was more likely in his 30's. His front teeth were pretty much worn down.

There was a remarkable difference using MSM for a horse who could not be shod comfortably without bute. Within a year, he was moveing like a 3 year old. He lived until his 40's - MSM every day -- and never needed bute.

Oakstable- I'm using Vita Flex, which is supposed to be 99.8% pure. Although I still can't decide if she really is any jumpier than usual, or if there are other factors involved.

For those of you who use MSM for headshaking, how quickly did you notice a difference? What symptoms exactly did you see disappear?

Quote Originally Posted by Oakstable View Post

A friend of mine uses MSM for her arthritic knees and swears by it. She lives in SF and used mass transit, and sitting for any time at all was agony.

She buys the pure stuff through me from Dynamite.
    I use it on myself and my mare and I buy the pure stuff, either powder or crystals. I had never noticed before, but there are a lot of MSM products that are in alfalfa or flax or rice bran. I would think that those should not affect the spookiness factor, but there could easily be other things mixed in that could.
    I think I will stick to the plain stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakstable View Post
    My jumpy guy has been on vita-flex. I took him off it 2 days ago. Yesterday, he was still jumpy for the farrier, but better under saddle. I'm wondering how long it would take to get out of the system... any guesses?
    Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it; Boldness has genius, magic, and power in it ~ Goethe

Mine were on Vita-Flex too.
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Quote Originally Posted by Eventaholic View Post
    Oakstable- I'm using Vita Flex, which is supposed to be 99.8% pure. Although I still can't decide if she really is any jumpier than usual, or if there are other factors involved.

For those of you who use MSM for headshaking, how quickly did you notice a difference? What symptoms exactly did you see disappear?
    My filly starts in the spring and I immediately know as she starts having problems eating out of a metal feed pot after being out all day. Start on the MSM, put feed pot on ground - it helps have no clue why. Also she has a white blaze and pink nose so she gets sunblock every day which also helps. I've never had issues with her under saddle, but I ride very early in the morning. But usually within a week, her symptoms start to minimize. We are in full summer now and she's been brilliant. Oh and if your horse is grazing in a bunch of buttercups, this can really cause some problems. Same as if Rape Seed grows around you.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

We had some 10 horses on MSM at my old barn with no problems. Then I started giving my then 13 Yr TB Mare MSM when we made the move to Prelim, becuase of the increased work load. I took her off of MSM in roughly 2 months as her:
    Stomach was gurgling all of the time
    She had constant gas
    Loose manure
    Finally she stopped eating - once we gave her feed without MSM she ate. Now I check the joint supplements to avoid MSM.

Made sense to me as MSM is sulpher and I eventually developed an allergy to Sulpher after taking it for many years for ear infections (long story). The last time I took sulpher I developed mouth ulcers after the 2nd pill, not to mention the upset stomach.

Up until this thread, my mare is the only horse I knew of to have a true physical adverse reaction to MSM.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim