The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MSM Side Effects?

Has anyone had any side effects when starting their horse on MSM? We recently started Moo on MSM hoping to help her headshaking syndrome. Her manure has been fairly watery for the past couple of days since starting the MSM, and she at least seems a bit more jittery than usual (although she IS a TB mare, so who knows). We're heading into what is supposed to be a pretty long stretch of fairly hot weather- about 90+ degrees every day, a big jump from the super rainy 60 degree weather we've been experiencing for the past month. (Anyone else in New England miss the sun?) So I'm a little concerned that if she keeps up the loose manure plus hot weather she might get dehydrated. She is still in the first week receiving a slightly higher dose, as recommended by the packaging- should we drop her down to the "maintenance" dose a few days early?

One that I've heard of and did experience with my horse was spookiness. A horse that never reacted at everything thought his shadow was out to get him. Stopped the MSM and he returned to his normal self.

I have my mare on MSM (double dose) and have not noticed anything in the way of spookiness. Manure is normal also.

And YES, I'm in NE also and miss the sun...Starting to forget what it looks like.

My 29-year old has been on it for a very long time - he's never acted any different (he's a TB too ) other than being more comfortable.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Well, you've got me thinking, now.... I started my draft cross (who's normally fairly spooky) on msm @ 6 weeks ago, for his lameness issue. Since then, he's been much more reactive (jumpy); I've just been blaming it on the fact that his workload's been cut way back, and he's still getting grain (though it's about 1/3 of his normal ration). Maybe it's the msm.... I think I"ll try taking him off it & see what happens.
    Yes, I think I remember what sun is... it's been so long since I've seen it.
    Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it; Boldness has genius, magic, and power in it ~ Goethe

Flipper, I'm also in western MA and it's TRYING! I can aaaaalmost see it! Tomorrow 85 and sunny!

Today manure was normal (day 5), and she was a liiiittle "eeeeh gasp!" but then she also isn't a fan of the "rain" (it's really not raining, it's just pretending that it is). I'm going to try to keep her on it for several weeks so she can have a chance to adjust and I can see if it affects the headshaking.

I had mine on it for about four months as a joint maintenance. Mare is usually looky, but had gotten past the "OMG... jump sideways" baby reactions. With MSM her spookiness and general personality got hotter. Took her off of it and she's back to the usual look but not react self. She's a Selle Francais for reference sake, and a real light weight (half a horse dose is more than enough sedative for stitches).
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

my older mustang becomes a real jerk on msm, crabby, snotty, belligerent... just a real jerk. I stop the msm and he immediately goes back to being sweet. If he were a slightly spooky horse he'd probably be moreso on msm too.

I thought I missed the sun, then it peeked out for 10 minutes while I was riding and nearly burned my reatnas out apparently I've forgotten what it looks like

Some horses are withdrawn when they don't feel good. Put them on something that makes them feel better and you get a different horse. Sometimes you don't like that horse nearly as much as you liked the other horse food for thought!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I purchased a horse about 3 months ago and put him on SmartRepair (it has MSM in it) about 2 weeks after I got him. About a month ago he became extremely looky and spooked at stupid stuff. I wonder if it could be the MSM? I will take him off it and see if the normal calm horse who didn't bat an eye at anything returns. Do you know how long it takes for the MSM to get out of their system?

The one thing I did find with MSM is that it can make them pee FOUNTAINS (and sometimes very smelly). I noticed this in two different horses, in the same barn.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

nickydoms Guest

My understanding of MSM is to promote healthy development overall. Especially beneficial to bone & joint. Was a B-1 supplement recommended rather than MSM for the head shakes?

Vet very clearly said MSM, although I have used B1 on my former TB mare and was very happy with the results. B1 had not been suggested by anyone for the head shaking as of yet- her triggers seem to be more sunlight/allergen related, not so much stress related.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Some horses are withdrawn when they don't feel good. Put them on something that makes them feel better and you get a different horse. Sometimes you don't like that horse nearly as much as you liked the other horse food for thought!
    Exactly. My older mare has been on MSM for about a month now. She is always spooky, spooks are bigger, bucks are bigger (fortunately not under saddle) trot is loftier, "aren't I cute?" attitude is in full force.
    This mare was a rescue and everytime I fix something and relieve some pain she lets me know she feels better. But she also gets more trainable because she is not worried about hurting.

There is a reason so many cheap sale horses are skinny and not on any supplements.

With my horse I think there's a very fine line between feeling better on MSM & jumping out of his skin (no, really!) every time a bird chirps - like he's had a bit too much caffeine.... Maybe if the sun comes out & it's 85 & humid like they promise, instead of this spooky, freaky, windy, showery crap, & if I stop the MSM, maybe he'll be able to relax (& me too!).
    Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it; Boldness has genius, magic, and power in it ~ Goethe

I wonder why MSM would make a horse spooky?

Our vet said that MSM is something you should only have to supplement in the winter months. The grass changes so that you do not need it in the spring and summer.

Dan

i had my horse on msm until recently. he wasn't any spookier than before.

if you're worried about her losing water-can you get her an electrolyte?
    be kind to your horses mouth!

I've heard that MSM can irritate ulcers. Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by acoustic View Post
    I've heard that MSM can irritate ulcers. Anyone know?
    I heard the exact opposite!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!