The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default WWYD - Horse Buying Issues

So, I responded to an ad for a horse posted locally. He was being retired from a rather upscale show barn. This horse was imported, competed in the 2000 Olympics with the French Equestrian team. He's now 19, and ready for an easier life. He sounded exactly what I was looking for and I went out and rode him. He was perfect. I had the nicest ride and was very relaxed with both horse and trainer. I told her I was ready to move ahead with him. She wanted references, which I happily offered. I told her that I would e-mail them to her that afternoon. As part of the process, she wanted to see the barn and fences where he would be kept. The bill of sale would also have a clause that would prevent him from being used in a lesson program or at any A-rated shows. I had no problem with any of the above. I sent her in e-mail all my references - vet, barn owner, farrier, trainer, personal and former vet. All would have nothing but stellar things to say.

BO tells me she's never called to make arrangements to come out and see the barn. Last week I left a message on her phone to inquire about things and sent a follow up e-mail. Still no word and we're going on 2 weeks since my ride. Should I give up on my dream horse or keep pushing? In my last e-mail I told her to let me know what's going on so that I can continue my search or make arrangements to haul him. But still no reply.

What would you do?

I guess were it me and I was really interested, I might drive on over and try to catch someone.

Did you sign any kind of purchase agreement or leave a deposit? If not, I would continue looking.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    I guess were it me and I was really interested, I might drive on over and try to catch someone.

Did you sign any kind of purchase agreement or leave a deposit? If not, I would continue looking.
    Nothing signed, no money exchanged. Waiting on her to check references and do a walk through of the barn. I have a good relationship with all the people I gave as references, and all say no calls have been made.

The barn is a show barn which is gated - you must have an appointment for security purposes. They spend most of the time on the road at shows. I had to wait over a week for my time slot to come out and see him, and even then, it was a rather shallow window. They had the horse bathed, groomed and as soon as I walked in, grooms flew to get him tacked for me and got me right on him. As a kind of laid-back horse girl, this kind of attention was a bit overwhelming. LOL!

I don't know whether to assume that there's been a change in the horse's availability and keep looking or to chalk it up to a busy trainer on the show circuit.
    Last edited by Katie-Nicole; Jun. 23, 2009 at 04:36 PM.

Sounds like a flake.

I may get flamed for this but I would never even bother with a seller like this. It's the whole notion of how YOU, as the buyer, should be privileged to buy their horse. I understand wanting to make sure your horse has a nice life - so don't sell it then.

Are you going to have to check back with this person anytime you go to move YOUR horse? Ridiculous.

Anyway, people like this are often not very easy to deal with - if you really like the horse, I'd say keep trying but be prepared to have her decline for some completely unsubstantial reason.
    \"Don\'t go throwing effort after foolishness\" >>>Spur, Man From Snowy River

Hmmm. I had that happen to me with a horse I was buying. Found out months later through the grapevine that the horse had been sold out from under me to someone else.... and the seller had told me, "I won't sell him out from under you. I've had that done to me and it stinks." I was at the disadvantage of not owning my own trailer so had to make arrangements to borrow a trailer, and apparently someone showed up that had a trailer with them plus the money, and the seller no longer answered my calls....

Well, I've never been in the position to buy something fancy shmancy, so maybe that's how it's done....hopefully someone with more experience there will chime in. Sounds like a cool horse and I hope you can get it worked out!

Personally, if a seller wasn't returning my calls/emails in a timely fashion I would consider that a "not interested in selling you my horse" situation. But maybe when you're at that caliber, different rules apply?

If they are really on the road a lot, they may have just been too busy to check references and get back to you. I would keep on it, maybe not every single day, but keep calling and emailing.
    Good luck!
    april
    Equine Retirement at
    www.StonyRidgeFarm.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Katie-Nicole View Post
    Nothing signed, not money exchanged. Waiting on her to check references and do a walk through of the barn. I have a good relationship with all the people I gave as references, and all say no calls have been made.

The barn is a show barn which is gated - you must have an appointment for security purposes. They spend most of the time on the road at shows. I had to wait over a week for my time slot to come out and see him, and even then, it was a rather shallow window. They had the horse bathed, groomed and as soon as I walked in, grooms flew to get him tacked for me and got me right on him. As a kind of laid-back horse girl, this kind of attention was a bit overwhelming. LOL!

I don't know whether to assume that there's been a change in the horse's availability and keep looking or to chalk it up to a busy trainer on the show circuit.
    Is it possible they are away at a show?
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    Is it possible they are away at a show?
    Possibly. She has pulled his ad though.

I would assume he has been sold out from under you. That said, since she won't tell you no, I would take a trip back and give her a deposit, which she can refund if you are declined, and sign a purchase agreement. If she isn't willing to do that (I would just go there, I know, you should be able to make an appointment, but...) if she won't then the horse isn't really for sale to you for some reason. Too bad. Sounded good. Possibly next time make them take a deposit and sign a purchase agreement pending references. If they won't do that, then, again, its just not for sale. That would be my take on a business arraingement. If others think differently, well, I defer to them, as I have not purchased that many horses to be able to say. Its just how I would want to view/handle a purchase if I could.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherRound View Post
    ...if she won't then the horse isn't really for sale to you for some reason. Too bad.
    That would suck, because I'm generally awesome! She and I got on well enough and she said that day he was perfect for what I was looking for. Nothing in my references would have thrown any red flags - but she's never called them. Should she have changed her mind, better business practice should say that she would reply with such. This is a BNT who's been in the horse world for her entire life. If she weren't serious about things, why would she have even bothered to have me out to ride, with staff on hand to have him groomed and tacked up upon my arrival? That's what I don't get...

If your really interested I would try calling, not e-mailing the seller. If they show that heavily it is possible that they haven't gotten around to checking things out and have pulled his ad as nobody would be able to respond. I know if we are gone for a couple weeks for shows we pull all the ads on sales horses and just advertise at the show as nobody will be by a computer to answer e-mails or have the time to take calls. Granted we are generally just gone for weekends so pulling ads for us maybe happens once or twice a year. If you think you can find something better then keep looking, but if you like him then definately try calling the seller over e-mail.

Quote Originally Posted by mjrtango93 View Post
    If your really interested I would try calling, not e-mailing the seller. If they show that heavily it is possible that they haven't gotten around to checking things out and have pulled his ad as nobody would be able to respond. I know if we are gone for a couple weeks for shows we pull all the ads on sales horses and just advertise at the show as nobody will be by a computer to answer e-mails or have the time to take calls. Granted we are generally just gone for weekends so pulling ads for us maybe happens once or twice a year. If you think you can find something better then keep looking, but if you like him then definately try calling the seller over e-mail.
    I have called and left a message and also sent her a text (yes, she does text) without response.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie-Nicole View Post
    I have called and left a message and also sent her a text (yes, she does text) without response.
    Well then that is just plain rude of her!

Couple of reasons. They could be away and she pulled the ad for you and you need to give her a little more time to get back.

2. She changed her mind and decided she didn't want to sell the horse.

3. The horse has been sold to someone else and she doesn't want to bother with you now.

4. You are not the right person for her horse (in her mind) and she doesn't really want to tell you that so she says your great and then you never her from her again.

It really sucks not to know and its down right rude but it happens. If you really like the horse I'd call her for the next couple days and if you can't get her then move on. Ob. your not going to get said horse and your wasting your time. A good trick is to call from a number she doesn't know She may answer the phone and you've got her then.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Sorry to say, but I think the horse has been sold and the owner has neither the stones nor the courtesy to tell you the truth. You're better off, believe me. There's another horse out there, just waiting for you, and now you can go and find him/her.

Keep the faith.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

I think ESG is right. Probably found a suitable home seller liked.
    Not nice to leave you hanging. Owner should have said she decided on another home and let you know as soon as she did so.

Keep looking thought. Lots of nice old imported horses out there who need good homes in their old age. And you would be a very good owner for one of them.

Have you seen the movie or read the book "He's just not that into you"?

This sort of smacks of that kind of thing. I'm sorry. I hope you find your dream horse! How cool that you're in the market now! They're everywhere and a lot cheaper than usual. Yay for you!

Can't wait til you find the one.

Default hmmm...

The descent thing for her to do would be to simply tell you that he is no longer available...however, I think by her lack of a response, she may be getting the point across without speaking it. I would continue your search, the right horse is out there somewhere, everything happens for a reason and maybe this is just a bump in the road that will lead you in the right direction and now you have a lovely horse to compare future prospects too.

Perhaps she found a buyer in her barn and thus keeps the $$$ flowing to her pocketbook.

She should have called you, but hey, that's the horse business!