The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default names

How about Flow/ Flo

Name for the mare?

Gratuity (she was free). Stable name Grace.

Look No Further. Barn name, Lucy. http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...tons/quote.gif
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

you guys are good.. seriously.. i should have you take mine apart and see what you see. i have an eye, it just aint all that good

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    Free.

awesome!!! i'm glad you took her!

here is a pic of mine-please excuse my EQ here. i had just shipped him to florida from chicago so it was a big change!

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...DSC01332-1.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...o/DSC00532.jpg
    be kind to your horses mouth!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamspark View Post
    LOL! That was not me, but a friend of mine. The filly is in NJ and I am in ME. And remember, she is a STB....the most sane breed I have ever worked with. LOL!

I will show her with her registered name "Revenue Stream". Love the nicknames, keep them coming! Ultimately I better wait until I meet her to decide.
    Sounds like she wasn't a "revenue stream" as a racer...maybe call her Penny?

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Rider View Post
    Sounds like she wasn't a "revenue stream" as a racer...maybe call her Penny?
    Small change?

Lovely mare My thoughts on a name... rather than go on the "Revenue" part, how about for the "Stream" part-- Brooke? (Get it... brook?)

At any rate, best of luck with her!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamspark View Post
    Wow, thanks slc for that evaluation! I appreciate it.
    You're lucky you got it, as she said this to someone else on June 14th:

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    Passing on the critique, as the horse's owner hasn't given permission here. Lots of people don't like a sale horse or their own horse critiqued on a public bb.
    She must really very very very much like you.

Yes not consistent. When it is a free horse, I usually feel free to make comments, if just for my own practice and to get feedback. Most of the time, I do a conformation post, I do try to do a decent complete critique of the conformation, then often wind up trying to define which of the items really would be significant for the intended use, ie, much of it isn't significant for intended use, but perhaps nice to know. Or not.

With horses for sale for a dollar amount, it makes me uncomfortable, usually. Sometimes if i am really concerned that the person has a very serious mismatch between what they want and what the horse seems it is, or I'm afraid they'll get into trouble with the horse, I will make reply even so. So not consistent, but some sort of rationale behind it....unless I'm drunk, tired or not paying attention.

When it is a free horse, I usually feel free to make comments,

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

She's not what I would pick, free or otherwise, for a dressage prospect, but since you've decided to, best of luck.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    She's not what I would pick, free or otherwise, for a dressage prospect, but since you've decided to, best of luck.
    Ah, that's one of the best things in Life -- we don't all want the same horse...

Thanks guys! I think I like having the"underdog" and have First Level dreams only, so life is good. I think I like the hard work that comes with making a sow's ear into a silk purse....or even just a canvas bag! LOL!

I love the nickname Penny, from Austin Rider! So true! LOL! I have written down all the names you have suggested, so I will wait to meet her and then decide. She is supposed to come up in a week to 10 days.

Thanks again!

ps -dbadaro- your guys is gorgeous!
    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!
    View my blog: http://standardbredexcellence.blogspot.com/

Thumbs up

Here is a video

o. k. I'd take a chance! how does she canter?

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...eStream026.flv _____________
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Personally I wouldn't take her. After looking at the photos and then the video clip she looked off in the hind end. Not tracking evenly.
    Frogs in a Basket. Oh, one jumped out.
    EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach
    www.dressagelife.com
    http://piaffing.blogspot.com/

Unhappy

She doesn't have the 'engine' aka power behind to be a great jumper. A hip angle that open makes for a longer muscle, but a less compressible 'spring' for jumping. The longer muscle can provide better stamina (eg Arabian), but also with that open angle it will be difficult for her to 'engage' her hindquarters by swinging her hind leg under. See how her lower leg is beyond the point of her hindquarter if you drop a plumbline? She's a little camped out, likely to make it difficult for her to swing that hind leg deep underneath her body. Her tendons are tied in below the knee, can be weak under stress. Difficult to see the angle of her pasterns, but they look a little upright, this might make her gait a bit choppier than smooth. She has a decent, mobile looking shoulder, but I don't like the way it ties into her back; her hind end slopes down toward her shoulder, she will naturally carry more weight on her frontend because she's built a little downhill. Are her legs straight from the front and hind? Her neck is a bit short, but looks good on her, though it ties into that shoulder a little higher than I'd like, she would probably be likely to have a 'swan neck' under saddle. Sweet face, kind eye, decent depth through her barrel...not the ideal, but we take what we can get! Also, attitude counts for a lot! Any horse that wants to jump can! Any horse that you can teach will learn dressage. Better to have a horse with a good attitude thats a little less athletic than one that you can't work with.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Welllllllll... said gently... we usually don't try to buy horses that love to go like giraffe's....

one of my friends calls that the Llama Chicken Act.
    Well - if ridden correctly she goes like a PSG horse - wonderfully through her back. If you can't ride she goes like a giraffe, and when she gallops in the pasture trying to look at everything she goes like a giraffe (many times).

So trot - video shows she does NOT use her back and barely tracks up - might be handlers fault, might not. I'd have to look at her in person cause based on the video I'd pass.
    Sandy in Fla.

Smile

I found her to not be tracking up in her left hind. Granted, she just came off of the track and could be a little stiff too. Like all things in life, she could need a bit of rehab/physio to work that out.
    What a pretty girl! I love her face!! STB are so easy going and fun to work with. I think that in perspective you are not looking for an uber high level horse to clinic to uber high levels with that you will be super obsessed with over every step of her training/movement, so enjoy her to the max! Appreciate every bit of heart and try she will have for you in exchange for maybe just being an average moving horse. With all of her previous training she should be easy for things like bathing, new environments, trailering etc.
    Plus, there was a thread on this board or on UDBB where someone with a great eye for conformation posted pics of a super well bred youngster that she loved- and it was met with the same mix of "love it, hate it".
    It was said in this thread that we don't all love the same horse. Wise words!
    There are pics of a STB being ridden posted on this thread and they are lovely. If you have in mind achieving this with this mare then you should be very happy with her, indeed.

I think you will have a lot of fun with her. I don't like to change horses' names (even when the name is Utah Beach which I am stuck with for the next 20 years or so (happily)).

I would call her Rev or Revvy or Streemy or Streamter.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Moonshine.