The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question about showing a youngster (mule!) in hand

I was recently at a dressage show where they had an in hand division for Young Horses/Sport Horses to be judged at their suitability for dressage.

My question is (please don't laugh) is a mule allowed to compete in these classes since they aren't breed specific? I know mules can and do compete in dressage, I was just wondering if anyone has seen them shown in hand.

Yes, I do have a young mule who is maturing quite well and has nice movement, so I thought if I worked with a trainer/handler, it would be nice to give this a try. I wouldn't be considering it if I hadn't watched the classes first myself. I also wouldn't do it if I didn't think my boy would clean up nicely as I'm pretty certain the dressage shows in my area don't see many mules and I wouldn't want to present a bad image.

This is a real question, so please don't laugh at me for asking!

Here is a recent photo of him. The show isn't until September, so I will have time to practice and get him in good shape:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ringposeCR.jpg
    Last edited by jenm; Jul. 19, 2009 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Changed subject line
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    I was recently at a dressage show where they had an in hand division for Young Horses/Sport Horses to be judged at their suitability for dressage.

My question is (please don't laugh) is a mule allowed to compete in these classes since they aren't breed specific? I know mules can and do compete in dressage, I was just wondering if anyone has seen them shown in hand.

Yes, I do have a young mule who is maturing quite well and has nice movement, so I thought if I worked with a trainer/handler, it would be nice to give this a try. I wouldn't be considering it if I hadn't watched the classes first myself. I also wouldn't do it if I didn't think my boy would clean up nicely as I'm pretty certain the dressage shows in my area don't see many mules and I wouldn't want to present a bad image.

This is a real question, so please don't laugh at me for asking!

Here is a recent photo of him. The show isn't until September, so I will have time to practice and get him in good shape:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ringposeCR.jpg
    I don't think so, the DSHB portion of the USEF rule states the following

3. Classes shall be open to any horse and/or pony without regard to size, breed or origin.
    Classes for ponies or specific breeds may also be included and must be clearly specified in
    the prize list.

I believe USEF definitions consider a "mule" to be separate from a "horse"

From what I'm reading under their definitions, Mules are only considered horses in the Endurance & Driving divisions. You may compete Mules in Dressage except for some Championship classes though.

It is worth a call to USEF to clarify though, just in case.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

He is lovely!

Why not call management and ask? Even if you entered HC, you could get some mileage for him, and some useful comments (one would hope) from the judge...

Editing to add; OH MY GOODNESSSSSS!!!!!!! I just clicked on your siggy links... the mare is lovely, but you must have just MELTED when you saw that wonderful surprize baby! Wow. Just amazing!
    Last edited by pintopiaffe; Jul. 17, 2009 at 09:42 PM. Reason: saw the BEBE pics!!!
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Your mule is adorable!

Can't answer your question I'm afraid but I can tell you that if you do go definately work at standing him up correctly and getting him obedient to walking and trotting in hand.

When its done well it looks easy but trust me, its not!!

(Make sure you can set him up to stand up in sports horse stance as it makes a HUGE difference in scoring)
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Cool

Nice-looking mule. Bet you'll have a lot of fun with him as he matures.

If you are just looking to get him out and about, might be cheaper to go to some open shows. You could also check the NASMA website for mule and donkey shows in your area.

I have a half-TB mule that is now pretty much retired. Took him to a mule and donkey show a few years ago and it was really fun to see so many good-looking, well-trained longears. The "music" in the barns was pretty amazing too - some very vocal animals and those minis have huge voices relative to their size!

Smile Awww... He is soo cute!

i hope you get him out and about. He is darling! What is his personality? How old is he? There are foxhunting mules that do a great job. Fun do some hunter paces with him or other field hunter classes.

Yep, call them. Per the USEF Dressage rule:

DR119 Participation in Dressage Competitions
    1. Dressage classes are open to riders on horses, mules and/or ponies of any origin, except that ponies or mules may not be ridden in USEF High Performance Championships, USEF High Performance qualifying and selection trials, and observation classes. Mules and/orponies are also ineligible to compete in (1) any other classes designated as qualifying or selection classes for international or international high performance competition (except championships for FEI Pony Riders), and (2) championships where such participation is prohibited in the championship selection procedures. Dressage Competitions may be limited to ponies of any breed or origin.

Since the Dressage Sport Horse rules are a subset of the Dressage Rules, I wonder if the above applies to the Sport Horse rules as well although the word HORSE is specifically mentioned. While the above clearly states "ridden". It sure wouldn't hurt to call USEF and ask the question.

Good luck to you!