The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question about picking up wrong lead at show

Quick question. At a show say doing a training level test, if you pick up the wrong lead and don't realize it and do the 20M circle and don't change it should the judge buzz you as off course and make you do it again or not? Is there are rule that says they should or is it the judges call? Thanks
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I don't have a rule book in front of me.. but my common sense tells me that no, its not an error in the sense that you went off course, its an error where I believe you receive a very low score, like a 3 because you didn't really complete the movement, but I wouldn't consider it off course.
    http://dressageesquire.blogspot.com
    "The ability to write a check for attire should not be confused with expertise. Proficiency doesn't arrive shrink-wrapped from UPS and placed on your doorstep."

I believe it is the judges option, I have seen it buzzed as an error, however, most judges (and at learner judging courses they tell you this) won't buzz you for it. This is because it upsets the "flow" of your test and will not end up making a difference in terms of the next movement of the test (unlike doing an incorrect change of rein etc). I have seen judges mark it as an error and I have seen judges merely give a very low score, sometimes even a 0 as technically the movement was not performed.

K, I'm wondering because I did it. His counter canter is getting very well balanced because I didn't notice. THE FIRST TIME EVER that I haven't realized I was on the wrong lead in 15 years Oh boy. Once he was on the wrong lead in one test and I brought him down and picked up again and he refused to pick up the right lead so I tried again and he once again refused and the judge buzzed us and let me get it. This is a schooling show. But Saturday I didn't realize it and counter cantered the circle on the left lead and she gave me a 1 for the transition and the circle, but since someone had buzzed before I wasn't sure if its just what the judge wants to do or not. I'm not complaining because its my fault but more so just wondering. Thanks

I have scored LOTS of dressage tests. I have often seen very low scores given for "wrong lead" (in one case a 0). But I don't think I have ever seen "wrong lead" marked as an error.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Thanks guys. That helps me. Guess its up to the judge. Hopefully I won't have to worry about it again Such a beautiful test up until that point

It was explained to me as the difference between an "error of the test" (wrong lead) and an "error of the course" (turned left instead of right). The bell only being rung for the second.

Quote Originally Posted by atlatl View Post
    It was explained to me as the difference between an "error of the test" (wrong lead) and an "error of the course" (turned left instead of right). The bell only being rung for the second.
    But if the judge considered it an "error of the test" it would still show up as a separate "error" deduction on the score sheet.

I think a judge COULD do that, but it doesn't sound as if s/he did in this case.

Furthermore, I don't think your statement "the bell only being rung for the second" (error of the course) is quite correct.

The rules are clear that "sitting when you are supposed to post", or "posting when you are supposed to sit" are "errors of the test" (not errors of the course). Then it goes on to say
    If a rider
    performs in a rising trot when a sitting trot is required, or vice versa, the bell must be
    sounded and the rider warned that this is an error that accumulates if repeated, leading
    to elimination at the third occurrence.
    So it is clear that, for posting instead of sitting, the bell IS rung for an "error of the test".
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I did the same thing at a show last year. Where we were supposed to pick up the right lead at A, he picked up the left lead, however he was clever enough to change as we started the circle.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    But if the judge considered it an "error of the test" it would still show up as a separate "error" deduction on the score sheet.

I think a judge COULD do that, but it doesn't sound as if s/he did in this case.

Furthermore, I don't think your statement "the bell only being rung for the second" (error of the course) is quite correct.

The rules are clear that "sitting when you are supposed to post", or "posting when you are supposed to sit" are "errors of the test" (not errors of the course). Then it goes on to say

So it is clear that, for posting instead of sitting, the bell IS rung for an "error of the test".

Fair enough, either it was explained to me incorrectly or I am not remember the explanation correctly.

Janet is right - and the judge CAN ring the bell. In fact, in the L program, on of the instructors told the story about ringing the bell when a pony had the wrong lead. The rider told her "This pony is 20 years old, and that is the ONLY lead he has". I think it is a favorite story of the L program
    www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
    Director, WTF Registry

Quote Originally Posted by OneFineMess View Post
    I did the same thing at a show last year. Where we were supposed to pick up the right lead at A, he picked up the left lead, however he was clever enough to change as we started the circle.
    I was unfortunate enough to get the comment "clever horse - he corrected, you did not" on this one . I felt like a real dimwit, too, because I never even felt it, and thought he was on the correct lead the whole time. We've since become a bit more balanced, but I was SO nervous!

He started off a bit unbalanced at the canter, and we've had every combination of wrong lead during a test you can have. The worst instance was when we kept trying to pick up the right lead and got dinged for each instance, including when we trotted too early before X, resulting in a 1! The best score I got on him for a wrong lead was a 5, when I was able to smoothly bring him down and back up (that was when we had put a LOT of work into fixing his balance) and was correct for the rest of the circle. So it didn't really hurt us as much as say, not doing a round or complete circle.

Sometimes I don't open up for the right lead when I ask. I seem to be weaker that way. We can nail the left but the right is always my fault. He has done it in 3 test now. Its always been my fault but I have always felt it and knew. Well not Saturday I feel so embarrassed that I didn't change it and the judge probably thought I was a dumba$$ I don't know what happened to me. So this made our score really bad. The worse we've ever gotten in a test EVER A 51!!!! But she gave him 4 on gaits because we didn't show right lead and 5 on submission because we didn't show right lead and a 6 for me, I guess because I didn't reallize it and 1's on the two movements and a 4 on the trot afterwards because she said he wasn't balanced because of the lead. Oh well. Just another day in paradise We keep going and going.

It's always better to correct something than to let it continue.