The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The Surrey - Potomac, Maryland

After 50+ years the Surrey has sadly closed its doors in Potomac; but do not dispair... will reopen in a new location in Darnestown as soon as the interior construction is complete...As nice and convenient as it is to order online - it does not/cannot replace a good tack store -= besides how else can you find out what's going on in the horse community

Congratulations to the Surrey on their new location!!

Everyone I know is thrilled with the move to Darnestown (across from Harris Teeter). That's right on my way to the barn and located near lots of horse people. Potomac, alas, doesn't really have that many horse farms anymore . . . lament . . .

I was about to get all upset, but then you said they were reopening. I'll be sure to pop out that way and spend some money, used to go to that store all the time when I was younger and rode some in MD.

Spread the word folks - apparently a lot of people thought they were closing for good - Sign said "thanks for 56 great years in Potomac or something like that - nothing like MOVING SALE which would have let people know they were moving and not closing...

I want to know if they will still have their awesome consignment area! It won't quite be the same without climbing the old wooden stairs to pour over everything, but they do tend to have the best consignments I've ever seen. I bought a handmade Harry Hall thick melton hunting coat for $50 once--it is absolutely beautiful. Bought an almost new triple-stitched leather halter and chain shank for $30 (still have both). I've gotten tons of treasures from there over the years.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Have they actually closed the old store in Potomac, or is it closing? Are they having a moving sale?

Wow....what a flashback! I grew up in Potomac, and spent many a happy hour pouring over the items in The Surrey. This was WAY back in the '70's, and it was my FAVORITE place to go! I also remember the awesome consignment area, AND the old wooden steps up to the "attic" space, to look for treasures. I got my favorite pair of chaps EVER from there......they were someones customs, and fit me great.....didn't hurt that they had really cool fringe, way before it was "cool" in the hunter world, to have it Glad to hear they are only moving, and not closing. Maybe I need to take a road trip, and introduce my daughter to such a great place! My other favorite spot was Stombock's Saddlery....anyone else remember them?
    Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket???

Anyone know if they've reopened yet?

Default Reopened October 1 in Darnestown

Nice space. They are going to have some kind opening party mid month.

Cool, thanks!

Ooh I'll definitely try to get down there sometime. Not that I'm supposed to be spending money....

Do they still have the consignment section?
    ---
    They're small hearts.

I just called them about the consignment section yesterday- they said that won't be up and running for another month or so. So they will have it but not until later