The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I swear she planned this......

Pixie is on pasture board, as it's both easier for me financially and better for her legs and her disposition. However, I think she would rather be a barn princess, with fluffy shavings to roll in and a fan over the stall. She hates the heat, the bugs, the flies and given Missouri's recent hot, humid weather, she's been miserable. She sweats standing in the shade, has no interest in grazing and spends most of her time in her shed. When I take her to the barn to hose her off, she can't get there fast enough. Going back to the pasture, she drags her feet. I think it's fairly obvious that she'd prefer to stay in the cross ties with the giant floor fan directed at her all night long.

Well, last night I discovered a cut on her hip and God only knows how she did it. Not deep enough to impact any vital structures, but deep enough to require flushing and sutures (and an emergency vet call). It's been raining here every few days and the pasture is disgustingly muddy. This is of course at odds with keeping the wound clean and dry.

So now, for the next 2 weeks until the stitches come out, per the vet's recommendations, Pixie gets to stay in the barn, turn out in the indoor or roundpen if it's dry. I swear she planned this....

BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

I have a mare who I think feels the same way as your Pixie. Its so hard to keep weight on her when she doesn't graze much.

She should enjoy her stall the next couple weeks!

I have this same horse...

Luckily, I was able to find a friend that had a little farm for her to retire on. She has a nice dutch door and can come and go as she pleases all day long. She spends the morning out grazing, comes in for the heat and stands in front of her fan, and heads back out in the evening.

They don't always know that it's better for them to stay outside...and for some of them, they are far happier having their own stall and staying out of the bugs and the heat

And yes, she did it on purpose
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

I had one such horse, so cranky when made to be a herd and pasture horse, that he fought other horses and would never go out more than ten minutes, then run back to the barn and stand there all day.

We found him a home where he has two other horses, each one has a stall and large run to live in and he has his own little 4H girl doting over him.
    He thinks he went to heaven.

Some horses just don't appreciate being a real horse, rather be a hothouse horse.
    Your mare knows what the good life is.