The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default CL alert: Brenderup trailer in Charleston SC

Not posting the link to the ad, but I just spotted an older model Brenderup trailer on the Charleston CL for $2k! I know these are hard to come by used, so if anyone's looking, it might be worth checking out.
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Good find! Note that the ad doesn't say it's a Brenderup. You have to search under "horse trailer".

Yeah, I forgot to include that! It may be completely ragged out, or it may be a great find, I'm not really familiar with the brand, other than the basics & the fact that they're pretty sought after. Hopefully it will be a good find for someone!

I saw one posted yesterday on the Norfolk/Hampton Roads, VA Craigslist. 2005 model; ad states it's only been used 6 times.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Ugh, you guys are killing me. I've been trying to downsize from my current Brenderup (which I LOVE LOVE LOVE but is really too big for my needs), but these are all too far from me to consider!

jn4jenny - I have two friends that would love to find a used one and we're just over in MN. I'm not sure if they're saving up for new ones in particular or would be happy with a used. PM me if you have info you want me to pass on.

I shipped mine 1/2 way across the country through UShip. The winning bidder did a great job, delivered on schedule despite a snowstorm, and regularly communicated his status during the whole trip.

Jn4Jenny: FYI I've seen a couple of dealer listings where older frames have been re-built with new factory SPC walls and floors. Their construction looks pretty simple. Maybe buying an old one in reasonable condition for a great price would be a good first step to downsize. Then down-the-line have it re-built to like-new condition? Just a thought!

Quote Originally Posted by BrenderGal View Post
    Jn4Jenny: FYI I've seen a couple of dealer listings where older frames have been re-built with new factory SPC walls and floors. Their construction looks pretty simple. Maybe buying an old one in reasonable condition for a great price would be a good first step to downsize. Then down-the-line have it re-built to like-new condition? Just a thought!
    Thanks, but like most Brenderup owners, I do my homework too. Your advice won't work for my situation. I'm looking for a Brenderup Solo, which AFAIK only started being made within the last decade or so, and they're a very rare bird on the used market. Until then, my current Brenderup is fantastic and is more than getting the job done (and I'd never recover the investment if I put in SPC walls--I already had it priced out). I just covet the Solo and I'm a one-horse woman.
    Last edited by jn4jenny; Jun. 24, 2009 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    ad states it's only been used 6 times.
    That's actually a bad thing rather than a good thing.
    It means that trailer just sits.
    It means the tires don't move and therefore could be rotting out on the bottom.
    Would also be willing to bet that the mats are down, water is getting trapped underneath and the floor may need to be replaced.

Ask me how I know.
    Amwrider: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their genitalia and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Jn4Jenny - I know you're a smart one. Was thinking that you could make money now on your current trailer (I think I remember you saying once that you bought it for a REALLY good price) and then make money later on a re-built model. It was more of an entrepreneurial suggestion than anything else. Heck, do that enough times and you'll pay for a new tricked-out Baron One!

Invested1...I'll take the bait...how do you know?

(And BTW I have yet to see a Brenderup trailer that wasn't advertised as "used only a few times". Looked at one of those myself, and after the owner got talking, they raved about how reliable the trailer had been for their daughter's several years of showing, and how much they loved using the trailer to go to WEEKLY lessons and how many looks comments they got on the trailer throughout the summer show circuit, I realized that "a few times" wasn't really accurate! )

Just curious, did anyone happen to call about the Brenderup on CL? I'd like to see someone potentially get a good deal (if it's not completely ragged out)

Quote Originally Posted by BrenderGal View Post
    Invested1...I'll take the bait...how do you know?
    haha--oh, that was kind of a tongue-in-cheek statement.

I know because I bought one that had only been used (I think he said) 5 times in 7 years.
    Had to replace the tires and the floor.
    Amwrider: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their genitalia and may their arms be too short to scratch.

There was also one on the Dallas CL about a week ago for 4K
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

I think there is still a lightly used 2004 Solo for sale in North Carolina; reported to be in excellent condition. The owner got back to me immediately after I emailed her and seemed very nice and forthcoming about the trailer's use. Didn't take it because the shipping costs to me brought the price too close to just getting a new model, but for someone closer.....

Umm...why did this thread get bumped?

B'up prices have really come down in the recession. I just picked up a 2000 Solo for a very good price and there's been ample interest in my 2-horse (although nobody has bitten yet). Try searchtempest.com if you're looking to search a multitude of Craigslists at once.