The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Last halt in Intro test B: through the walk or not?

I'm riding my just-turned four-year old in the Intro tests next weekend. Logic would dictate that the last halt in Intro B would be through the walk, like all the other halts in the Intro tests and given that even Training Level halts can be through the walk.

However, the Dressage Canada test just says to trot down centre line and halt at X.

I had myself convinced that the instructions in this year's Dressage Canada test booklet said all halts at Intro should be through the walk, but I find that is not the case. There are no instructions for Intro.

What do the experts think?

In intro last year with my guy I always halted thru the walk. Even at the end of a test. Once I didn't (my guy does better going straight from trot to halt) and the judge commented in should be. Hope that helps.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

As of our last show, we are officially no longer doing Intro B (gulp! on to TL), but the six times we did Intro B, we did the final halt through the walk, usually getting a 7 or 8. So, yes, I would and did do the final halt through the walk.

On a young horse, halting through the walk will give you a better halt anyway.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Thanks, guys! Not sure I could do much of a halt otherwise with him (although my trainer can, of course).
    The question was the result of a discussion I had with a friend about what was actually called for in the test.

If the first halt says through walk, then the last halt is definitly NOT through walk.

Is this the Dressage Canada test? That one is not halt through walk. Not sure how bad walking would effect your score.

Yes, I'll be riding a DC test.

It just makes no logical sense to me that they would ask for a halt directly through trot at that stage when it's not even required at Training Level (the general instructions say for TL tests that halts can be through walk) and every other halt in the two tests is specifically through walk.

Should I ask the judge when I go into the arena?

It doesn't make a huge difference to me personally (it's just an Intro test after all) but I would like to know what I should be doing...

I don't know about Canada but here by USDF you can halt thru the walk and you will have a better halt on a greenie (except mine for some reason ) Do you not have a trainer you can ask? I wouldn't ask the judge but maybe ask some people or watch some people that ride before you.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by Vesper Sparrow View Post
    Yes, I'll be riding a DC test.

It just makes no logical sense to me that they would ask for a halt directly through trot at that stage when it's not even required at Training Level (the general instructions say for TL tests that halts can be through walk) and every other halt in the two tests is specifically through walk.

Should I ask the judge when I go into the arena?

It doesn't make a huge difference to me personally (it's just an Intro test after all) but I would like to know what I should be doing...
    The only reason I'm saying this is because I'm looking at the test and the first halt says through walk, so why wouldn't the last one say it too? I'm asking my coach...I'll be back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    The only reason I'm saying this is because I'm looking at the test and the first halt says through walk, so why wouldn't the last one say it too? I'm asking my coach...I'll be back.
    I would contact Dressage Canada and ask. Jealoushe, I'm sure your coach is great, but sometimes they're misinformed, or just guessing. I clearly remember my trainer (who was regional I1 champ last year, so she knows a few things about showing) a few years ago assuring me that the simple change of lead in 2-1 could occur before the centerline - WRONG! - and I got dinged for it at a show. Honest mistake, and my trainer felt terrible, but it illustrates that it's best to go right to the source, rather than trust the opinion of someone who may not know the facts.

I'm just sayin'.

Both USDF Intro tests specify that all four halts are through the medium walk. My best guess is that since it makes little sense to ask an Intro-level horse to halt from the trot, "through the walk" was mistakenly omitted from the final halt in both Canadian Intro tests.
    Founding member of the "I Miss bar.ka" clique
    Founding member of the "I Miss Pocket Trainer" clique

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    I would contact Dressage Canada and ask. Jealoushe, I'm sure your coach is great, but sometimes they're misinformed, or just guessing. I clearly remember my trainer (who was regional I1 champ last year, so she knows a few things about showing) a few years ago assuring me that the simple change of lead in 2-1 could occur before the centerline - WRONG! - and I got dinged for it at a show. Honest mistake, and my trainer felt terrible, but it illustrates that it's best to go right to the source, rather than trust the opinion of someone who may not know the facts.

I'm just sayin'.

I read it that way too, the first time I did that test I rode it that way and the judge (DeKunffy) simply scored it (7, I think, maybe 6) with no comment. Did the test a month later in front of another judge and got the bell and was informed, as you were, that that was incorrect. *shrug*

Both USDF Intro tests specify that all four halts are through the medium walk. My best guess is that since it makes little sense to ask an Intro-level horse to halt from the trot, "through the walk" was mistakenly omitted from the final halt in both Canadian Intro tests.
    This is what I suspect, too. I'll contact Dressage Canada and let you know what they say.

I read somewhere that one of the USDF intro tests has a typo, and that might have been it. Does the DC use the same test as the USDF?

Since training level tests are all through the walk, I can't imagine there would be a trot/halt in intro!

I got told that it was through the walk, that's what we do. I too thought there was a note somewhere on the DC site that said something to the effect of "all halts may be taken through the walk without penalty", but maybe it was my coach who told me that. She is a carded Dressage judge through EC, if that helps...
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

I'm just sayin'.

Alright well once we hear from DC we can be certain!

FYI maybe most coaches don't know that stuff, but mine is on the up and up on the rules lol.

I just rec'd confirmation from a veteran of these tests it is indeed from trot.

Now waiting to hear from DC.

I know you're all waiting with baited breath but it may take some time--at least one person at DC I emailed is away on vacation.

I will let you know ASAP. Meanwhile, personally, I'm proceeding as if the halt were indeed through medium walk.

OK, drumroll... all of us are correct.
    The answer I received from Dressage Canada is that you may halt through walk but will not be penalized if you halt through trot. They will try to make it clearer next time around.

Thanks for relaying their answer!

Ironically, when I was practicing my tests yesterday, I forgot and halted through trot (TR level habit). I will have to tie a string around my finger or something.