The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default In-hand experts: Something in your hand at show to keep horse's attention?

Silly sounding but real question: Do handlers put something in or one their hand to keep their horses attention while posing during a show? Or is the horse just smelling their hand and hoping something is there?

It kind of LOOKS that way in some pictures. What's the reality here?

(asks the lady who is taking a 5 or more homebreds to a show next weekend, and doesn't want to look like a fool with cookies flying everywhere, if that is not how it's done)

ThanxIA

I have shown in hand with a wrapped peppermint in my hand to get a pretty expression on my horse for the judge. Judge didn't seam to mind the crinkling sound and my horse got his favorite treat after the class.

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Default AH-HA!

Now there's an idea! I was thinking of putting a berrygoods treat in my hand, but something noisy and potentially yummy sounds like a great idea! I'll get some peppermints and try it out this week.

ThanxIA

Smile

I have trained a horse I used to show in hand with a Clicker trainer(the one for dogs).
    It first started by accident when I was working with one of my digs and my horse was showing interest. So I would click it and once he stretched his neck out he was immediately rewarded with a treat. You would be surprised how fast they learn it. alot of horses will give you a beautiful expression just from hearing the sound.
    It always worked great. I use to have the problem of him taking a step forward for the wrapper. Good luck
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Now, why didn't I think of that? I love clicker training! I've used the basics in training in the past with great success (I got away from using the hand clicker and just started using my mouth to may the "click" sound). Duh! Guess my brain is slow these days, but I'm still capable of having funny/weird conversations (see my other post).

Talking

Too funny. I wish I had a conversation to add to that thread too
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

I have been told that the Indians used to tear off a piece of a horse's chestnut (possibly any horse's not necessarily it's own) and hold it by their nose to calm them - why the Indians could steal the Army horses so quietly. If it indeed does work it would be a keen handler's ploy, esp with a youngster.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

We've used a little package of Tic Tacs. They make a great noise for getting ears forward. I normally just keep a crunchie in my hand that seems to keep them entertained!
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

an empty lighter works great, it clicks, if your horse moves forward when you click, practice with one that is not empty, they will poke their nose but learn not to go forward to it as the moving flame backs them up just enough.

When I met Rakus from Hassinger Farms at an ISR inspection, they told me he likes Tic Tacs - you get the crinkly attention benefit as well as many little treats.

Here the beloved Tic Tacs are coming out to get his attention
    Last edited by sniplover; Jun. 22, 2009 at 10:17 AM. Reason: fix link
    RIP Adriane, aka Eyesontheground, 6/4/83-9/14/09
    Proudly owned by:
    Veronica II (Vienna Waltz/Woermann)

I've heard of the TicTac trick at inspections too. If you have one that needs to be "fired up" a bit, keep a plastic bag in your pocket - you can crinkle it too (learned from inspections, not in-hand shows, but all the same idea, right?).
    www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
    Director, WTF Registry

Quote Originally Posted by sniplover View Post
    When I met Rakus from Hassinger Farms at an ISR inspection, they told me he likes Tic Tacs - you get the crinkly attention benefit as well as many little treats.

Here the beloved Tic Tacs are coming out to get his attention
    Oh my goodness what a beautiful animal, I couldn't stop scrolling through your photos. Wowzsers!
    My herd for life:
    King: 20 year old Foxtrotter gelding
    Ruais: 7 year old Friesian/Arabian mare
    http://imgur.com/a/LSPiJ#0

Tic Tacs are clever, I'll need to try that. I like the "noise" aspect, normally a peppermint or something works fine. Be careful with the treats, as some horses will stretch their neck out crooked trying to get the treat and it really looks silly, and sometimes causes them to lean forward. Good luck!
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

All good ideas ... I need to start working on this.. I like tic tacs myself...this could be a good alternative to the clicker...
    First and foremost about the horse.
    Rose Bud Ranch Sporthorses
    Like Us On Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by rosebudranch View Post
    All good ideas ... I need to start working on this.. I like tic tacs myself...this could be a good alternative to the clicker...
    Just make sure the tic tac box is almost full so it doesn't make too much noise. As a judge, I don't think there is anything more annoying than a handler using some kind of a noise device that is loud and inappropriate in the ring.

On another note, how did this thread get dug up after almost 5 years?
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

I've used both tic tacs and peppermints with success. I've also just kept the tic tacs in my jacket and tapped the pocket (farthes side away from them) which caught their attention and perked theirs ears forward without them stepping forward (which they sometimes do with the crinkly mint in my hand).
    Mary/New Horizons Haflinger Sport Horses
    Standing Stellar TVR, lifetime licensed with WE, RPSI, AWS, AHR
    www.newhorizonshaflingers.com
    www.facebook.com/NewHorizonsHaflingers

Daventry - from a newby posting admiring comments about someone's horses.