The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

wagkat Guest

Default 15 TB's Rescued from Slaughter - Please Help

This weekend Neigh Savers www.neighsavers.com and The Last Furlong www.thelastfurlong.org formed an alliance to rescue 15 thoroughbreds from the Paso Robles, CA area. They had to be moved immediately. An insurmountable task for us but somehow we rallied the forces and found temporary placements for all of them. We really need funds to help us temporarily care for these horses, in addition to the transportation and other costs we have already incurred. Pictures will follow on our website and more info regarding adoption. Donations can be made via PayPal on the www.neighsavers.com site. The Last Furlong is still waiting for 501c3 approval.

WE SAVED THE FOLLOWING THOROUGHBREDS!!!!

5 Mares with Babies (10 Horses)
    2 Yearlings
    1 Lone Mare
    2 Stallions

Yes, incredibly we were able to save the stallions as well, as two of our friends have stallion pens. One stallion is by Silver Charm and the other is by Saint Ballado-Free House (Storm Cat) named "Cat in the House."

They are going to locations in Auburn, Somis and Clayton, CA temporarily as we await foster placement and/or adoption.

PLEASE HELP. They were all bound for a terrible fate.

I am so torn about whether or not to reply to this message. I appreciate that these horses were in imminent danger and you guys "saved" them from that but if you can't afford to care for them and transport them, I don't see them as being much better off than they were before. I hope other people are less jaded than I am and the money flows in to take care of these horses properly. Next time maybe having the funds in hand before taking the horses in might be in order.
    I would also contact the breeders and prior owners of these horses and put the screws to them a little bit. Some of those horses were expensive to create so there has to be money there somewhere.

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't know why but I looked up Cat In The House on pedigree query and here it is with who stood him.
    Cat in the house

So I googled the ranch name. Which brings up some interesting things.

Seems like this has been going on at this place for a while, did all 15 horses come from the same ranch? Very, very, very sad.

Maybe his original breeders would be interested to help with his care or be able to take him back? Can't hurt to ask. Good luck with all of them!!!
    WestWind Farms
    Love means attention, which means looking after the things we love. We call this stable management.
    - George H. Morris

Quote Originally Posted by Ishi View Post
    I don't know why but I looked up Cat In The House on pedigree query and here it is with who stood him.
    Cat in the house

So I googled the ranch name. Which brings up some interesting things.

Seems like this has been going on at this place for a while, did all 15 horses come from the same ranch? Very, very, very sad.

Maybe his original breeders would be interested to help with his care or be able to take him back? Can't hurt to ask. Good luck with all of them!!!
    Wow, powerful article. If only 15 horses were left out of the 100, it is even more heartbreaking.

Clayton is such a tiny place. Since I live there, I would love to know where in Clayton these horses have been taken. If you don't mind sharing, could you let me know? PM if you want.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I am so torn about whether or not to reply to this message. I appreciate that these horses were in imminent danger and you guys "saved" them from that but if you can't afford to care for them and transport them, I don't see them as being much better off than they were before. I hope other people are less jaded than I am and the money flows in to take care of these horses properly. Next time maybe having the funds in hand before taking the horses in might be in order.
    I would also contact the breeders and prior owners of these horses and put the screws to them a little bit. Some of those horses were expensive to create so there has to be money there somewhere.
    Yes the rescue situations as of late seem to be overwhelming, but what I get from the OP is that the horses are all fostered. Sounds like they are in several different homes and I'm sure they are much better off than they were, but like most "rescues", they don't plan for these to be their forever homes. I have taken in numerous horses off the track, but only one that was really a "rescue" and I sure couldn't afford another horse at the time. You know how it is though, you step up and do what you can. Even if the money doesn't "flow in", I'll bet these horses are still better off.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I think most rescues, or any non-profits for that matter, do try to get donations to support their cause. It sounds like that is what the OP is attempting to do. How would you expect them to generate the money if not getting donations from the public. Even our local humane societies do this, from what I have researched Neighsavers seem to be doing good work.
    How sad, and to have mares with foals in a rescue situation especially is disturbing. I will send a small donation towards their care. Best of luck to the OP and the TBs.

Anyone who has been following Joe's blog at TBFriends knows that breeding farms and ranches are going out of business every day and Joe has been struggling to find placements for dozens of TBs, pregnant mares and foals. Those people are stupid enough to keep breeding...

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    Anyone who has been following Joe's blog at TBFriends knows that breeding farms and ranches are going out of business every day and Joe has been struggling to find placements for dozens of TBs, pregnant mares and foals. Those people are stupid enough to keep breeding...
    And this place looks to have been is serious trouble years ago with dead and starving horses at their place. Why isn't something done about it?

Who is the Silver Charm stallion?

I thought that the 100 TBs referenced on the blog page were all seized by Ventura County animal control at that time, and many I believe are now placed. Unfortunately, and this is just my understanding, the same family apparently had others of their TBs stashed in another location - I have no idea how that happened - but my understanding is that these 15 that were recently rescued were not a part of the original seizure; or maybe they were? Confused...

Where can we send $? Do you have paypal?
    I'm too far away to foster but I can send some money as should others. $5 or $10 a person can add up and save an old tb.

Animal control and the states tend to let people starve their animals to death with any consequences in my experience (I've lived in Calif., VA., MO., PA, and GA.) So private agencies and people have to do all the work and rescuing.
    Meanwhile contact the TV stations and get reporters to cover the story and more money will be sent to you OP to save the horses.

I am interested in adopting the stallions

Vicky, this thread is over THREE YEARS OLD. I am sure all of the horses have looooooooong since been adopted

Of course she wants the stallions-to breed??? *cough cough*

It would be interesting to know where they did end up & how they are doing now.

Of all the Threads on CoTH, how did she manage to find this exact one to say she wants the stallions from? A thread from that long ago?

Hopefully they were gelded too. What a disgrace though. My God, what is wrong with people???
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.