The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Red face Another Day on the Farm...Collecting & Inseminating in a Cast...

I had to share this morning's activities as one of the oddest I've had to do in a while....and I'm kind of thrilled that we got it done. Kudos to Mr DDB and my working student also, and to a mare owner who pitched into help also.

I got hurt last Monday trimming...got a badly shattered little finger on my left hand..one little bone broken in over 4 places.... and a deep gash requiring stitches...long story...but had to have surgery on Friday to have a plate put into my crushed little finger on Friday. I've been ill from all the drugs they had me on too. To say the least...this last week has been rough...

We have a client mare here...a 17 hand TB... to be bred to my older hunter type Col. Spanish stallion Wayward Wind. She needed to be bred today and live cover is NOT an option with him at 14 hands and her so much bigger and has never been LC before. I generally won't LC outside mares anyway just for safety.

So here I am with this huge post surgical cast on my left arm and I'm the only person who's ever worked the AV or knows how to inseminate a mare. My husband or working student usually handles the stallion, I collect and process the semen. So, we had quite the experience of last minute cross training, prepping the AV, and my husband handling the AV for the first time and me at his side...as there was no way I could hold even my light weight French AV one handed to collect.

We got it done on the second try with one dry mount from the stallion who is not very experienced on the phantom. Nice 40 ml gel free ejaculate and lots of healthy swimmers. One team made of the owner, her friend and my working student prepped the mare while my wonderful hubby helped with the semen processing and AV and then I had to one handed, inseminate the mare. Wow...was that a job...she was tall but well behaved, under sedation, and had the oddest cervix I've ever felt. My arm was nearly numb from her pressing on me too. The owner tells me about her odd vaginal/cervical conformation after I'm in there and trying to find the cervix which was like a long inverted cone. With some feeling around I found the opening finally, got the tube in and my helpers emptied the syringes into her...as I can do almost nothing left handed. We had the vet U/S the mare Friday...so we knew she was ready and was still in standing heat following a good teasing.

So...we got it done...mare bred, owner is ecstatic, and this dang cast and busted finger is not going to keep me down!!!

I would imagine I'm not the only breeder who's managed in a cast or with an injury before. I'd love to hear war stories if you all have any to share.

Ouch! You don't realise how much you need both hands until one isn't working! Hope you're soon feeling better.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

ooohh!!! Poor You!

Seriously, that is HEROIC measures. I would put YOU in the 'stallion owners that ROCK category. Kudos definitely to hubby and working student. It sounds like you got very lucky in both categories. (how romantic--NOT!) OTOH--what a FABULOUS resume the working student's going to have!

Man, this is NOT the time of year to be hurt. I am so sorry! Hang in there and take CARE of yourself!!! (((hugs))) Sending be well soooooonnn prayers southward!
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

PS: I cannot WAIT to see that cross. WOW! That is very exciting.

Can't offer a breeding story but very well done it is amazing what you can do when you have to one handed.

2 years ago I slipped over in the stable and bust my wrist. Had a bright pink cast over the arm and thumb. But I also had a show.......
    So drove my geared 24 foot lorry with pony on board to the show lucky no police stopped me.
    Then got permission to ride with out a glove or a plaited pony. Wearing all the dressage gear but with one white gloved hand and one bright pink cast I rode my normally naughty pony in 2 tests.
    With the judges sympathy vote we even got placed.
    This did also convince my parents and friends horsey people are normally stark raving mad.

Hope the finger/hand is better soon sending bone healing vibes
    Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post

Seriously, that is HEROIC measures. I would put YOU in the 'stallion owners that ROCK category. Kudos definitely to hubby and working student. It sounds like you got very lucky in both categories. (how romantic--NOT!) OTOH--what a FABULOUS resume the working student's going to have!
    I have a wonderful husband and my working student is great! Everyone pitched right in today and I am so lucky to have them!

Thanks to all for the healing vibes! I can sure use them!

Juniberry...great story! Thanks for sharing!

This thread did not generate the discussion I had hoped for but I thought some of you might be happy to hear that the TB mare I bred on farm by AI was checked in foal this morning! Her owner is deliriously happy and so am I! I was not looking forward to inseminating that huge mare again!

My hand is a lot better but I'm still doing therapy to learn how to use that busted up finger. It doesn't bend anywhere near as well as it used to. I'm out of the cast at least.

We are all excited to see this cross as this TB mare is a very nice type and has produced two very nice WB crosses already to Nevada, Darlyn's stallion. She's very hunter/sport horse in type and this cross will be the first I've ever seen of a Colonial Spanish stallion on a TB. Both sire and dam are very nice athletes and the owner's wanted a smaller sport horse/hunter type foal for themselves. I hoping it works out well and I'm very glad we aren't rebreeding this mare again this season!

Kudos.. I can relate, just had my girly bits removed,, tried desperately to finish breeding season before surgery, but one durn mare did not cooperate.. thankfully our boy is easy for anyone, so the blacksmith and the vet will collect tomorrow in my absence,, then I hope we are truly finished..

Heal well!!
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

oh, MR, heal quickly! I bet you'll feel much better soon...

DB, glad you hear you're progressing, but it IS frustrating and long.

I will be very excited to see the cross. Iberian X TB is quite popular in other countries. Many of the working horses (cattle etc.) are Cruzados (crosses) vs. fullbreds. Iberian x TB or Iberian x AngloArab.

Thanks Wendy and Jaime. Wendy, I'm sorry to hear about your surgery..UGh...rough timing. I hope you get back on your feet quickly.

Jaime..I'm eager to see the cross also. The origins of the QH go back to a Colonial Spanish/TB cross...now granted I suspect the first ones look nothing like the modern QH either but they were the thing back in their day. I have heard of ranches in the West that bred "mustang" TB crosses for working cattle also and they were very tough athletic horses. The US Army Remounts during the late 1800's were also Spanish Mustang/TB's to some degree. I think Morgans were also used the but the Half TB added some size and speed and the smaller breeds gave them a bit more durability. Comanche...the survivor of the Battle of Little Bighorn was a TB/Spanish Mustang cross. I think we will get something very much like a Connemara/TB cross.

Wayward is an amazing jumper for his size and a nice elastic uphill mover...and this mare is quite a nice mare...so it should be a nice horse. I am SO glad I won't have to inseminate her again. Wow...that was quite an ordeal! I was so exhausted after doing that just one day after surgery that I wasn't good for much afterwards.

My hand is getting better. I'm in physical therapy now and regaining much of the motion I lost. I have some hardware in my finger now and will probably set off metal detectors! LOL.