The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Default Spinoff TB's Thread: Non-Horsey Uses for your Horsey Stuff

I was just thinking about this yesterday, and then reading TB or Not TB's thread on how non-horsey people describe horsey stuff inspired me to post a new spinoff...

We always see the threads on how to adapt "real-world" stuff (usually cheaper!) to horsey uses... how about using your horsey stuff in the real world!

I have a very cool coffee table with a metal wine rack underneath it, but the wine bottles always slide out of it. Very annoying! Yesterday I had the Very Bright Idea to get some of that tape that you can use on bits to protect sharp corners, and wrap a little bit of it around the bottom of each of the wine bottle holders to provide a little "grip".

I was thinking it was the first time I'd used a horsey item in a non-horsey application instead of vice versa.

Anything else out there?
    ~Living the life I imagined~

Snaffle bits used as curtain tie-backs in a horse-themed room - sweet!
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

I have walked my dog with an old lunge line.

I used a lead rope once to restrain my neighbor's escaped dog in an emergency.

I once found a bunch of hoof picks in a bargain bin at a very urban dollar store. They were so out of place they made me giggle. I doubt most of the shoppers had ever been up close to a horse other than pony rides at a carnival. I suppose one could use hoof picks for all sorts of tasks requiring a stiff brush and little scraper: scraping a hibachi grill, scrubbing tile grout in the bathroom, etc.

Someone spilled paint in one of the equine water buckets, so I now use the bucket for washing the car.

I know several dogs who sleep on old western saddle blankets.

Braiding elastics are perfect when the little holder-thingy breaks off of your watch band.

NJR

one of my dogs adores a whither pad as a bed. The kids use vet wrap for EVERYTHING - pretend bandages, craft material, decoration. It's a huge treat when I buy them a roll for their own. I've worn winter riding pants ice skating. We use horse brushes and combs on dogs, people, dolls. Not the best of ideas, but we use her riding helmet as a bike helmet sometimes since we have a hard time getting a good fit for her bike helmet - on my to-do list.