The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Chicken with broken leg...what do I do?

My 4 year old gelding tends to chase my chickens (because they are the only thing that runs from him, lol). The girls usually get out of the way but it looks like my favorite chicken wasn't fast enough and has a broken leg. It is not an open fracture, but I can feel movement in the bone, between her ankle and 'hock'. She is eating and drinking and I have put a soft splint on it but she is having a great deal of difficulty moving. I have split her away from the flock and she seems uncomfortable but okay. Is there anything else I can do? She hops around on her good leg but she is not very mobile and is currently in the chicken house with a fan on. Please do not advise me to put her to sleep as she is my favorite chicken and if that time comes, I will know and do the right thing. Can she survive with one leg? Will it heal? But for right now, and words of wisdom?

no words of wisdom (since the BBQ is out of the question )

Jingles for the Chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

I would bring her inside so the other chikies don't pick on her, put her in a dog carrier, in front of a TV so she can watch the movement, if she knows what to do with an egg give her one so she won't move around too much.
    Get well soon chikie.

WE have had several chickens with broken legs and all have gotten better. We put them in a small cage by themselves, with food and water, kept them in the barn where they could see all their friends, and it took a while, but they all healed up. Most of them have learned what horses they have to stay away from now.

I forgot, it most likely will take adjustment time for her to go back to her buddies, as they tend to pick on the odd man out.

I second 5. I've had to do that twice, minus the egg. Once in the crate, they didn't move around much. I kept food and water within easy reach so they didn't have to do anything but rest. You might want to check her bum now and then to make sure it's clean. Sometimes they don't get up to poo and that can cause a whole nother problem.

I can't remember now how long it took to heal but I'm thinking several weeks to a month before they were ready to go back outside. I didn't splint and both healed without a problem. Sadly, both were later taken by a preditor.

Keep her quiet and turn her every so often. If you are worried about infection, you can buy antibiotics for chickens that go in the drinking water, ask your vet what type would be best.

My goose got a broken leg from a horse that chased her and she healed just fine. I kept her immobile with a splint on the broken leg, turned her over twice a day and helped her stand and walk a few times a day by supporting her under her belly. I didn't want the muscles to atrophy while she was lying down.

(gosh I hope I used lying down correctly!)

Make sure she stays hydrated and clean - use straw if you have it with a few cedar shavings underneath to keep the bugs out.

Best wishes for speedy recovery for chickie!

We lost one this year, to a possible dislocation or broken back. We couldn't find anything to splint but she was in obvious distress and not doing well confined. She struggled and bloodied up a wing pretty badly plus she was losing weight so that was the end of her . I know of other birds including one we had years ago who made a complete recovery, hoping this for yours as well.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    I would bring her inside so the other chikies don't pick on her, put her in a dog carrier, in front of a TV so she can watch the movement, if she knows what to do with an egg give her one so she won't move around too much.
    Get well soon chikie.
    What movies should I rent her? Babe? Barnyard? Perhaps a DVD of Green Acres?

Sorry, I could not resist. Thanks for the advice! I hope she makes it through this as she is like a cat, and she is on life number 3 now (1 run in with a possum, 1 with a neighborhood dog). Her official name is "Red Sonia, warrior princess" after that horrible Conan, The Barbarian movie, lol.

Hey, I can rent her the Conan the Barbarbian series!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Friesiancross View Post
    What movies should I rent her? Babe? Barnyard? Perhaps a DVD of Green Acres?

Sorry, I could not resist. Thanks for the advice! I hope she makes it through this as she is like a cat, and she is on life number 3 now (1 run in with a possum, 1 with a neighborhood dog). Her official name is "Red Sonia, warrior princess" after that horrible Conan, The Barbarian movie, lol.

Hey, I can rent her the Conan the Barbarbian series!!!
    I think she would enjoy.."CHICKEN RUN"

I vote for Chicken Little! Best of luck for your chicken!

Chickens are pretty darn hardy. You can make a splint with a stick or popcicle stick and set it that way. use vetwrap or that surgical tape stuff (white first aid tape). I have had to splint splayed chicks before and they manage. Then you can crate her like previously posted or keep her in a small cage. She should heal just fine.
    Metacam works for pain in my cockatiels and an oral antibiotic won't hurt. I get all the good bird stuff because I have cockatiels and have used it on my chickens, too (Baytril and Anirobe are two I have used).
    Proud to have two Takaupa Gold line POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

Doesn't anybody call vets any more?

What you're doing is fine and yes they can survive with one leg but they tend to be hen-pecked by the rest.

Chicken Run is an excellent film. She will be inspired I watched it with 2 of my grandchildren at Christmas time. They also have a small flock of ex battery farm chickens for eggs. Including Sam and Ella!!!! I convinced them that their chickens escaped and landed up with them via a rocket

Quote Originally Posted by Lori View Post
    Chickens are pretty darn hardy. You can make a splint with a stick or popcicle stick and set it that way. use vetwrap or that surgical tape stuff (white first aid tape). I have had to splint splayed chicks before and they manage. Then you can crate her like previously posted or keep her in a small cage. She should heal just fine.
    Metacam works for pain in my cockatiels and an oral antibiotic won't hurt. I get all the good bird stuff because I have cockatiels and have used it on my chickens, too (Baytril and Anirobe are two I have used).
    Yes you can splint the leg and tape it up well. I only had Bantams which aren't as heavy as big chickens.
    Remember the goose in New England or somewhere who had the artificial feet with tennis shoes that someone made for him? He was in a city park. (Unfortunately someone beat him to death. but he lived for a good while with fake feet.)

Quote Originally Posted by nightsong View Post
    Doesn't anybody call vets any more?
    It's a chicken...

Please tell me this is a pet/show variety of a chicken, not your average layer I hope she gets better.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

I took a chickent to the vet once in a pet carrier. Everyone kept wanting to pet my cat =O. Then she started clucking and I became the crazy lady who brought chickens to the vet *sigh*. The chicken seemed to have vertigo and I didnt' know what to do about it. Apparently, the vet didnt' either..lol.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

A $100.00 vet bill for a $10.00 aged chicken! You have to be the kindest people on COTH.

OK, I would just like to state for the record that reading about everyone's favorite chickens and geese reclining in front of the TV while on the dotingly tended mend is quite possibly the cutest thing ever.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Thumbs up rest and rehab

Chickies do recover from broken legs ; keep her as quiet as possible; ie., bed rest; when it is healed you can do some passive motion with her leg' for now, take a pencil with a nice eraser on it, and stroke gently down the length of her leg, to the ground; if you have a feather handy you can use that, too; do not apply pressure just "connect her leg from top to ground; sounds strange but, you are helping her cns to reintegrate the leg into her body.
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Nightsong, our rooster had an infected leg when he showed up at our place 2 years ago, and while I would heave preferred to have brought him to the vet, I was afraid he'd hurt himself more if we crated him and put him in the truck or car. We spoke to both our horse and small animal vets and just went with some Tribricen crushed up in his feed. Worked a charm.