The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking Horse stuff described by non-horsey people

My dear friend is taking a road trip out this direction and kindly offered to bring out some of my riding equipment. This meant braving the depths of my storage unit to find it, but he was up to the challenge. All was going well until he called to ask me which things I would like. He did very well, all things considered, and I got everything I need. Here are some of my favorite descriptions:

"Canvas bag" - hay net
    "Quilt" - horse blanket
    "Catcher's pads" - XC vest
    "Long red scarf with velcro" - polo wraps

Best one?
    "Rocks - no, bricks. Why do you have bricks?" - small mineral blocks

Here are a few that I have no idea about:
    "Hard plastic thingy that goes on your arm"
    "Square thing like a water bottle from a bike."

Thoughts??

those last ones have me stumped.

My sister has come up with some odd descriptions over the years, and some are just plain funny.

"Washing stick" has always been one of my favourites.
    LESS HARD WORK, MORE FINE DINING!™
    complicate, obfuscate, prevaricate.

"Square thing like a water bottle from a bike."

Salt block holder!!

Salt block holder
    http://www.sporthorseproducts.com/im...ock-holder.jpg

And water bottle holder, one of the assorted styles
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA280_.jpg
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

Non horsey people consistantly confuse hay & straw. They also do not know the difference between a bridle and halter. At least they know it goes on the head!

One of my favorite comments was, "That horse has a cool leather necklace....why don't you get a pretty one for your horse?" A miracle cribbing collar.

Yesterday I showed my Mom photos taken of Mine That Bird in the KY Derby-her only comment was "What is THAT and why does only one horse have it?" She pointed to a sheepskin nose band cover.

"Hard plastic thingy that goes on your arm" couldn't be boots of some kind...???
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

My son once called Ti's girth his "belt." Luckily my non horsey friends stay far away from the barn.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

My dear gramma calls fly sheets and fly masks "bug jackets" and "bug bonnets," respectively. I think it's adorable!
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

bell boots maybe? that go on your arm??

My mother refers to ear bonnets as doilies. as in: Why does that horse have a doilie on his head?
    LESS HARD WORK, MORE FINE DINING!™
    complicate, obfuscate, prevaricate.

I was also thinking some sort of protective boot with the "hard plastic thingies that go on your arm." I could see strapping galloping boots on my forearms for a swordfight. Come to think of it, maybe those gum bell boots could work just as well as those expensive arm-protector things they have to wrap around your wrist and keep your arm dry while you're bathing a horse...

It would be funny to have a competition among total non-horse people, to fully tack up a horse with martingale, flash noseband, boots and wraps, multiple pads, etc., just for the sheer amusement factor. Bet we'd find lots of new ways to use things...

My sister describing the post parade of the Kentucky Derby to me: "ohhhh, that's a pretty horse, I think he's called an Appaloosa."

At a horse show, my dad asked me why some of the horses were wearing sneakers.

I would guess splint boot of some type. My nephews were in our barn one day and wanted to know if I skateboarded (???) 'you have your wrist braces', The twitch made them very very obedient for a few years. I just said it was to make the horse behave
    My yearling at the time had a nasty abscess, and did NOT like it being messed with.

Someone once asked why I had plungers on my horses' feet (bell boots).

Also had a father ask where he could find his daughters "girdel" for the saddle..
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

I vote that the arm thing is a splint or galloping boot. They DO look an awful lot like sparring equipment
    Have YOU ever looked into the eyes of a rich white child who has just lost a jumping competition?

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    ... Come to think of it, maybe those gum bell boots could work just as well as those expensive arm-protector things they have to wrap around your wrist and keep your arm dry while you're bathing a horse...
    What? All this time I've suffered water running into my armpits for nothing! OMG.

I would have thought the hard plastic thingy might have been the medical ID arm band? maybe...... or well .....I don't know.
    Proud Mama of a BOY rider

Quote Originally Posted by twofatponies View Post
    What? All this time I've suffered water running into my armpits for nothing! OMG.
    LOL... I don't understand the purpose of those cuff things; I consider bathing my horse a way of multi-tasking and showering myself, because god knows at the end I can squeegee myself off with a scraper...

Talking doilies

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Lawn View Post

My mother refers to ear bonnets as doilies. as in: Why does that horse have a doilie on his head?

rotflmao Now that's priceless!
    True Bearing Equestrian
    St. Helena Island, SC

I'll preface this by saying that my husband really does know what "reins" are. He just couldn't think of the right word at the time: he called them "those strings". Me: <pause> "what strings?" Him: "you know, that go to the horse's mouth"......yeah, I finally figured that one out.

I also would have guessed the arm-protectors were boots, he probably thought they were like roller-blading pads or something, LOL!

Talking

My wife refers to the lead shank as a "string". That's OK, long ago when we were first married I had a sailboat and she referred to the docking lines as "strings". Hey, at least she's always been there to hold those "strings"