The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question for Brenderup Owners

I just purchased a 1992 Royal TC. This may sound like a really dumb question, but where do you feed your hay from? The ledge in the front seems a little far away from the horse (plus it seems to me like he'd just pull the hay onto the ground from there), and there aren't any hooks in the walls to hang a haynet from. I know Brenderup sells a fancy hay feeder, but I'm only towing one horse and I really don't want to spend over $100 for a haynet.

How do you attach your haynet?

Our brenderrup ( i forget what make it was) definitely had the D's to hang a haynet from which is what we did... we may have hung it from the D's that he horse is hooked to. I can't remember.

I'd just get heavy duty D's and have someone screw them into the trailer
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Ok, so I might have to screw into the trailer... that's what's I was wondering. Hopefully that's easy enough, I don't know if I'll have anyone to help me, so I might have to do it myself.

For that matter, if I already have to drill something in for a haynet, I wonder if there is some way I can rig up something to securely attach a broom and a shovel to, since they won't fit in the tack compartment.

I hung a hay net from a little eye ring near the window on the side. It is up and to the side. The ledge is definitely too far away.

I would not screw anything into the trailer as I think it would have the potential to impact the structural integrity. Look around, you will find something. How about from the top of the middle divider bar?

Point taken, that's why I figured I'd ask.

I do remember seeing a ring on the side but it was pretty low (I hooked my trailer tie to it). I'd be worried my horse could get his leg caught on the bag. I'm going to take out the head divider because it's just in the way (another project - trying to figure out how that comes out). But maybe there is something on the main divider... I will look tomorrow.

Where do you put your broom or fork? Maybe there is some way I can secure it to the floor on the right side, since I won't be using that side. I'll have to look at that too... try to come up with something creative.

What do you wash your trailer with? Will diluted bleach/water (on the exterior) hurt it? It has mildew on it, so I need to get it clean.

Drilling holes will allow water (and maybe other stuff as well )in.

I'd be shocked if you didn't have an eye ring near your windows. In the Brenderup promotional videos, that's where THEY hang the hay net--and it's whewre I hang mine too.

What do you wash your trailer with? Will diluted bleach/water (on the exterior) hurt it? It has mildew on it, so I need to get it clean.
    No offense, but all of these questions could be easily answered with a phone call to Brenderup. I know it's the weekend, but I'd recommend calling them first thing on Monday morning. They were very helpful with such questions when I bought my '97 model.

I don't think there's much that could hurt an SPC resin model, but if yours is from '92, chances are that it's a wooden model like mine. No idea what you'd use for mildew--I keep mine painted with exterior latex and wash it with mild soap, like Murphy's Oil Soap.

I had emailed Brenderup (cannot call, as I cannot make phone calls during the week from my job). I had also requested the video, but it's not here yet. However, I didn't think it was too unreasonable to see what 'real people' are doing with their trailers.

Thank you all for your input, it is much appreciated.

Mine doesn't have a feeder (it's an Apollo), but it does have a ring by the window. On the other side, where there is a ramp to unload off the front, I attach hay nets to the roll bar. I had to get creative.

I have an 06 Baron SL with an eyehook on the window. That's where I hang my hay nets and my breakaway trailer ties.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I have the head divider which is in btween the two stalls. I hang my hay bag from there. I didn't care for it by the window as it had a tendency to blow a little more hay around when the window was open.

No good place to hang the hay bag is about our only gripe about our older Brenderup. If we feel we really need a bag, we hang it from the chest bars.

But, ultimately, we've determined that our guys will trailer fine without a bag in front of them for the local trips. If we're going so far that they must eat, we stop for hay & water.
    Foxwin Farm
    Home of The Bay Boy Wonder
    and other fine Morgan Sporthorses

If you absolutely have to put a hole in it going to the outside there might be a way to keep out the water. If you use a self locking nut and bolt and used a rubber washer that would be tight it should be pretty secure, don't you think? I wouldn't just use a screw in and leave the other side with a sharp screw point and nothing to secure it.

I'm just trying to picture how it would look and work and I wouldn't want a hole going to the outside if I didn't absolutely need one. Maybe silicone or some other sealant would make it secure but once a hole is there you always have a hole. Well then again, it's fiberglass so a lot of repairs are done to the body of vehicles with fiberglass even on metal.

Thanks for all the advice - I'm going to stay away from making holes. I already get water in the trailer, I don't need to risk any more! It's missing the flap above the ramp, and some of the doors seem to leak too. I emailed Brenderup about the flap, I'm hoping that's replaceable... and not too expensive.

I looked again, and there is no hook by the window. But that got me looking at the window, which has those metal bars and made me wonder if I could hang it from that (attaching a hook to one of the metal bars). It'd only be a flake or two, which isn't that heavy.

IIRC, we might have tied a haynet to the window bars for long trips, though I don't remember my horse having a problem reaching the ledge, either.

I don't feed mine either unless it's a really long trip, or if they're missing a meal because we're on the road.

My friend hangs hers from the ring by the window, her's is a 2000 I think, so I'm surprised you don't have them.

I got the fancy feeder. LOL which is great for pellets. They tend to throw hay all over, even when it's in bags.

Oh, how I love my Brenderup!!!

I use a small mesh hay net and a couple of double sided snaps. I snap the net to the ring near the window with one snap and to the ring in the center with the other snap. The net is about neck high and forward of the chest bar, no way to get a foot into it. No hay falls to the ground.

It sounds like your model doesn't have the ring near the window. Call Brenderup and ask them all your questions. They are really friendly.

Did I mention how much I love my trailer?

I have owned a Royal TC since 2000. I just use the window bars. No problem!
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Window bars it is, then! But I might also use Nin's idea and use a second snap to attach to the center ring too.

Thanks all!

I think the little ring that everyone's talking about is welded to the frame that goes around the window. You could ask the factory if it would fit on your model and if so, maybe they could sell one to you. They're a really convenient place to tie a hay bag/net.

Another option would be to get a strong clip and hang it from the short lip that's at the top of the tack room wall (if there's one on your trailer.) There's a lip on the newer trailers...the tack room's 'ceiling' sits slightly lower than the top of the tack room wall.

I definitely am a believer in horse trailer "products" to make the job easier. The best cleaner I've found is the soap made for cleaning boats. They also sell something for boats called "Black Streak Remover". This really cuts through the grimy streaks that you'll find on the fiberglass if the trailer is left out for a while. If your fiberglass is dull or gets minor surface scratches, there is a fiberglass polish made for...you guessed it...boats. The polish does a great job of reviving 'tired' tops as long as the damage doesn't go too deep!