The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Bone Chip + Future Hunter

I'm wondering what a bone chip will do to our hunter's jumping. Heres some info on what happened.

Our five year old arab/akhal-teke was kicked or ran into something this friday. I noticed it just right after it must have happened, and brought him in got him iced and taken care of. Vet came out last night and wanted to take xrays so this morning vet came out we got xrays and found our problem.

While it looked like he had fractured his sesamiods it ends up he has a chip in his raduis, and just nicked his radail nerve. He is on bute and stall rest with wraps to help support his leg and keep it straight, since there is nothing we can do for his shoulder we just padded his stall very very deep.

I am willing to give him all the time in the world to heal and I am very very willing to start him back slowly into training again (He was going around w/t/c and schooling 3' on the lounge with a big beautiful jump.)

So what could a chip do later on when he is jumping? Would it affect his jump at all or the way he moves?

Any answers are greatly appreciated

The short answer is maybe.

Sometimes a chip turns a horse into a pasture puff. Sometimes it doesn't affect them at all. The best thing to do would be to listen to your vet, talk to him/her about your intentions for your horse, and follow the vet's orders. Your horse might need rest, or it might need surgery. It all depends.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven-up View Post
    The short answer is maybe.

Sometimes a chip turns a horse into a pasture puff. Sometimes it doesn't affect them at all. The best thing to do would be to listen to your vet, talk to him/her about your intentions for your horse, and follow the vet's orders. Your horse might need rest, or it might need surgery. It all depends.
    Ditto...

Don't they want to take it out?

My horse had a chip in her knee. We had it removed, the vet said her long term prognosis was good. If surgery is done they can probably give you more information than based on an xray alone. My horse is on a joint supplement, sound, and just started jumping small cross rails again.

Quote Originally Posted by RioTex View Post
    Don't they want to take it out?
    No, the vet said where it is he wants to see if it will heal back together first, since he is a young horse he sounded positive that it would. Right now our little guy is on stall rest, and we are just going week by week.

Thanks for the input everyone.

My horse had a couple of chips from his fractured sesamoid. I opted out of surgery because he was 3 legged lame at the time and there was 50% chance he'd be worse after and I'd probably have to put him down. We did 2 shockwaves and I'm happy to be report he's been 100% sound for well over a year now (*knocks on wood*), and we're back to jumping I guess the shockwave helped break up the chips and some bad tissue and they were able to be reabsorbed. I think it's definitely worth looking into. Good luck!

I'd love to be able to have a shockwave around, an old barn I took lessons at they had a horse mess up his suspensory and he came back sound and ready to work again after they used it on him. I'll have to look into it again.

I would want those films sent to a surgeon who pulls out a lot of chips to get a second opinion. Waiting is sometimes the *really* wrong thing to do. And chips can move around.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.