The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Saddles again HELP :( - which saddles have 4+ finger gullet width?

I really need a new saddle asap now.
    I waited it out too long really, coz I somehow thought a Fhoenix Vogue was going to be the answer to all our problems, turns out ... sadly it was not. Horse totally hated it. Shame coz I personally really liked the position it put me in & how soft it was.

Anyhow....
    Horse has mild scoliosis of spine, one shoulder blade larger then the other, slighthly atrophied, mainly as result of uneven shoulders, plus horse is built 'up-mountain' (by which I mean 'extremely' uphill) an is very hi-withered. So saddle would need a gusseted panel added at the bottom rear and possible something to help out with the withers (so will need quite some work).
    I can live with shoulder shims, not with rear shims.
    Would love it to have an adjustable front gullet, so we won't be outgrowing the saddle in the next year or so.

Plus I'd like it asap (haha, probably most difficult problem). HELP.

So which make of saddle can accomodate that and would have a saddlefitter in Hunterdon/Warren NJ to help me fit that?
    I need someone that will come out to me, cannot do an email/online consultation thingy, coz they need to see the horse move with regards to the scoliosis & shoulders and what it does to the saddle.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Schleese saddles have very wide gullets but are $$$.

The cost for adjusting the tree is pretty reasonable.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

The freedom panels on Passier saddles might fit this and it is an adjustable tree - any decent saddler can do it. Custom Saddlery saddles also have adjustable trees and some have cutback pommels.

You may want to contact some of the manufacturers to get more information.

I'm trialing a Custom Saddlery Advantage and I can fit 4 fingers in the channel between the panels at the rear of the saddle. As a rider, I give it thumbs up - sooooo comfy. Does help absorb the shock from my guys big gaits, and I stick like glue to it. Soooo easy to ride in.

But, Mr. Sharkfin gelding does not like it. It's set medium narrow and there is just not enough wither clearance.

I ended up with a Prestige as it was the only "off the rack" saddle I could get that was wide enough for my horse. I wanted a Hulsebos but couldn't wait 6 months to get one.

Schleese and Hennig both have wide gullets.

I third the Schleese. I just bought one, yes they cost money, but you will never need another saddle again. The tree's are guaranteed for life, they can adjust them whenever its needed in addition to the flocking, and the tree's are made for maximum shoulder movement.

My horse has huge shoulders and withers and I could never find a saddle that didn't sit on them, but Schleese trees are built to sit on the back, and not inhibit the shoulder, and have very wide gullets to give lots of room for the high withered horses.

Okay, I think Schleese will most likely be the ones that can fit my complicated horse. I need to find out when they are in my area. I think only every 6 weeks, so it may take a while before I can get one.

There's is a lady that covers my area that sells the Custom Advantage saddles as well as Laser Trident, which sounds like both have the 4 finger gullet, and the Laser has an adjustable tree.
    Question remains will 4 fingers be enough with the s-curve in his spine.

I did think of Prestige, but from what I read they are more for the slightly scooped/banana shaped horse and this is guy is dead-straight in his back. So kind of scrapped that one of my list for now.

A friend of mine works a lot with horses that have difficult saddle fitting issues. She is a test ride facilitator for Balance International saddles but will help you find one that will work with your horse or just give you some info for your horses specific needs, and what you should look for with the types of issues your horse has. PM if you would like her info.

County's have wide gullets and can be made with deep gussets
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Lieselot, for the Prestige saddles, it depends on the model. I think the 2000 D suits a flatter-backed horse.

You could look at the Amerigo Vega as well.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Default Schleese saddles

They are carried by Skylands Saddlery in NJ. Also, Jochen is coming end of the month to NJ for the Colonel Christian Carde clinic.

The Carde clinic is in Warwick, New York. Is Jochen coming to New Jersey as well? If so, it isn't listed on the Schleese website.

Take a look at the Albions as well, they generally have a very generous gullet, I think mine is about a "5 finger" width, love the feel and the fit

Quote Originally Posted by ToN Farm View Post
    The Carde clinic is in Warwick, New York. Is Jochen coming to New Jersey as well? If so, it isn't listed on the Schleese website.
    You're right - my mistake. He's in NY (it's just so close to NJ where he's going that I got a weee bit confused...)
    I believe Margaret Boyce is taking appointments for him for the Monday after the clinic but I'm not sure where (probably at the same farm).

i second the alibons, i have three and all of them have atleast a 4 finger width. one i had custom made as my event guy was huge with really funny set shoulders and a very wide flat back.
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Default Which saddles have 4+ finger gullet width?

Lauriche and WOW. You can PM me for the NA rep for the WOW. Lauriche's are very expensive but lovely saddles. I have two that were made for my old horse before the prices went through the roof. Unfortunately neither of them really fit my new horse they way they should.

My horse (and I) have been fitted for a Wow saddle and expect it soon. It's a saddle for life, and can be easily adjusted as the horse develops, and fitted in parts until the entire saddle has been put together during the fitting for you and your horse. The results are really amazing. My horses stride, balance, and attitude improved and we worked inside, outside, up and down hills, basic gaits, and all I could think was how much we both had been missing without the benefit of a good fitter.

The width of the gullet is not the only measurement you need - you need to see the tree and the saddle as a whole.

Here's a great blog that talks about why measurements of a single place aren't very helpful: http://saddle-fitting-for-smarties.a...criptions.html

Hopefully you can find a saddle fitter in your area - preferably one who works with multiple saddle brands, not merely a representative of a single company. Good luck!

Thx all, Albion & Wow where 2 I hadn't thought of, didn't realize they were that wide at the back too, great to know. I have a fitter that covers my area & does Albion, so another one to consider.

Dressagdiosa, sure, you are right there is much more to it then channel width. But if the channel at the back doesn't fit at least 4 fingers I don't feel I can consider the saddle as an option because of the curvature in his spine at the end of the thoracic processes.

I need to have the channel width first before I can look into dealing with him being built very uphill with prominent withers. He's not an easy case.

I'll be trialing a Schleese jumping saddle from a friend just to see what a very wide channel does to him, this saddle may not be right in other ways, but I want to see how his spine fits in that.

My Black Country Vinici has an extremely wide gullet and fit my table-top-backed Lipizzaner when virtually nothing else would. It also has serge panels (made of woven woolen serge rather than leather) which breathes and molds to the horse's back better than leather. It's a monoflap, which I also liked a lot.

There are a number of used Black Country saddles available online. I don't think mine has a gusset in the rear panel, though. It might be an option, though - they come with a lot of choices available.

Good luck in the hunt for the right saddle!