The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle Help/Advise....My saddle is hurting my horses back

I have a Beval Devon 2000 that I love but it has a narrow tree that is affecting the horse I ride. Its pinching her withers and causing her lower back pain and her twisting around it caused her to throw out her back and hip

Now onto the question. I would love to trade it in since it is still in great shape its only had about 2 or 3 years of solid riding in it. If I just have to end up selling it I'm looking for a good saddle that will last for under $1500. I have no idea where to start looking other then going to Bevals for the trade in.

Ideas? Sites that do trades? Anything would be great

Thanks
    But its no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then

-alice in wonderland

There are plenty of places that will take your saddle on consignment. Google used saddles and sites will come up, or search threads here.

If you literally want to trade, you could start with Bevals or with EquusNow (google them) or Lightning G (also on-line). EquusNow rocks because they'll give you full retail value for your saddle toward a new one of theirs. I don't know how they can afford to do this, or what they think saddles are worth, but I'd ask there first if I wanted something they carried.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Why not have a Beval rep come out and try some saddles. Beval can customize a new saddle that will fit your horse, they also are very generous with trade ins. They take the trade in price off of any new saddle you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Latisha View Post
    Why not have a Beval rep come out and try some saddles. Beval can customize a new saddle that will fit your horse, they also are very generous with trade ins. They take the trade in price off of any new saddle you buy.
    I think that might get a little to expensive for me...The only money I will have to get a saddle with is what I will get from the sale/trade in of the one I have. I highly doubt I would be able to afford a custom saddle

-alice in wonderland

Sadly, saddle sales seem to be slow right now. I just ran two saddles through eBay and didn't get a nibble. I don't know if you can expect to get $1500 for a used Bevel. There's one on eBay right now with a BIN price of $900 and that's probably higher than the reserve. There are no bids on it.

I've found some nice saddles at Lightning G (usedsaddles.com) and if they will do a trade in, you might only need to come up with a little cash.

Another thought would be to ask Beval (or a reputable saddle fitter) about widening the tree on your existing saddle. If the saddle tree is the right shape for your horse, for about $200 you should be able to get the tree widened.

In the meantime, don't use the saddle on your horse. The damage you will do to her back will cost more to fix than the new saddle.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

A friend of mine works a lot with horses that have difficult saddle fitting issues. She is a test ride facilitator for Balance International saddles but will help you find one that will work with your horse or just give you some info for your horses specific needs, and what you should look for with the types of issues your horse has. PM if you would like her info.

Beval will take your saddle as a trade towards a new Beval saddle. I would start with them first.

Forget Bevals - even their wide trees are narrow. I just went through this EXACT same thing - I had a Beval Devon 2000 which was way too narrow - I got the saddle oiled and cleaned up...and repaired, and was quoted at best $500 for a consignment price. I took it to another tack shop to do a trade in, but got a saddle somewhere else that is wide and fits him well - now he's sore, but from work - not from a poorly fitting saddle.

It's rough going - I spent 7 months looking for a new saddle - but it's worth the search. If I were you I would not ride your horse in your current saddle - just not fair to her. Good luck with your search - and finding someone to buy the saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by TrottingHills View Post
    Forget Bevals - even their wide trees are narrow. I just went through this EXACT same thing - I had a Beval Devon 2000 which was way too narrow - I got the saddle oiled and cleaned up...and repaired, and was quoted at best $500 for a consignment price. I took it to another tack shop to do a trade in, but got a saddle somewhere else that is wide and fits him well - now he's sore, but from work - not from a poorly fitting saddle.

It's rough going - I spent 7 months looking for a new saddle - but it's worth the search. If I were you I would not ride your horse in your current saddle - just not fair to her. Good luck with your search - and finding someone to buy the saddle.
    Thanks, luckily most of the tack shops around here take trade-ins and I've found a couple of used Crosbys for under $900 that are really nice. Bevals are pretty popular around here though

If you don't mind my asking what kind of saddle did you get that fit?

-alice in wonderland

Try the bits and barter board, or the outside course!
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by TrottingHills View Post

What Beval models did you try that leads you to say that even the wides are too narrow? The Devon saddle in a wide tree will definitely be too narrow for a horse (I think the Devon is a pony saddle) but in my experience a wide tree on a Natural is a good wide tree.

Abbracadabra, I would see if Beval accepts trade-ins towards the used saddles that they market through www.allthebestusedsaddles.com. That way you can get a pretty good value on your old saddle and have more options than just one manufacturer's saddles.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG