The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Polyglycan vs. Adequan & Legend

Does anyone have any experiences in switching from the regular use of Adequan/Legend to the regular use of Polyglycan?

Have you noticed any improvements or reductions in your horse's comfort & way of going with one over the other?

I realize that any responses will be anecdotal, but I am curious. I am a firm believer in Adequan/Legend, have used them successfully for years on my jumpers but at the racetrack many trainers are switching to Polyglycan. Certainly, it's more convenient to do the one injection rather than two, and also nice that it does away with Adequan IM (which, weekly, makes some horses neck sore). Since it's newer, I'd be interested in hearing about anyone's experiences with it.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

1 members found this post helpful.

Bumping this up because I'm also interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

I switched to Polyglycan not quite a year ago. My horse was previously mainly on Legend. I think it works as well--I get that "riding on sneakers" feeling the next day. I have my horse on every 2 week injections.
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

Do a search on this forum. There have been many threads about this in the past.

The big thing about polyglycan is that there is no proof that it has effect in the joints. Only Adequan has been tested for that. Also, Legend and Adequan are 2 DIFFERENT drugs with DIFFERENT effects and target tissues. They are NOT interchangeable.

Also, there is beginning to come to light some evidence that excessive administration of these molecules (more than recommended or prescribed), regardless of flavor, can induce failure of the blood vessels and subsequent hemorrhaging (known as Exercise Induced Pulmonary Hemorrhage).

So, weekly administration may cause a completely different illness in your horse.

Reed

Do you mean adequan and legend could be depromental when given weekly, that would be yikes!

I spoke to my vet about Polyglycan. He said NO -- waste of money, not proven, don't do it.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

My vet in Saratoga has used it for a few years now with success on both racehorses and show horses. The horses do well on it, and it's so reasonably priced. He often suggested it in place of Adequan or Legend, although he would give Adequan and Legend to anyone that asked. He didn't see a difference between horses that were on Adequan and/or Legend and switched over to polyglycan versus those that stayed on the original regimen.

If I had a 5 yr old, I probably wouldn't use it just because too much is unknown about it. BUT while I wouldn't use it for a younger horse, I would try it for my 17 yr old gelding who is moving down levels anyway. From what I've seen and heard, I don't think it wil have any long-term serious side effects... but I'm not confident enough in that to use it on a horse that has the rest of his career in front of him.
    Gentleman J - "Junior" - My been-there, done-that jumper

Send Your Love - "Serena" - Aug 10th 2009, Rest in Peace

Our vet uses it on his own racehorse, and he recommended it to us since we have two geldings with mild arthritus. They got the shot (One older moving down levels, and another mid aged moving up levels) Neither horse has had any side affects and both have seemed to be pain free and we haven't had any arthritus problems.

Polyglycan works VERY well on my 11 year old show horse. I see results in 24 hours and they last a good 3-4 weeks.

A friend of mine tried polyglycan and it didn't do much for her horse, who had been on Adequan. She switched him back.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Quote Originally Posted by Fharoah View Post
    Do you mean adequan and legend could be depromental when given weekly, that would be yikes!

do you mean "detrimental"?
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post

Also, there is beginning to come to light some evidence that excessive administration of these molecules (more than recommended or prescribed), regardless of flavor, can induce failure of the blood vessels and subsequent hemorrhaging (known as Exercise Induced Pulmonary Hemorrhage).

So, weekly administration may cause a completely different illness in your horse.

Reed
    What do you mean? Can you post any studies showing this, and are you referring to Adequan, Legend, or Polyglycan? What exactly is indicated as excessive? I've never heard this, if you're referring to Adeq/Leg. Thanks.

Smile

I use Polyglycan every 2-3 weeks and it works great on my horse. I used to use Legend and it did not make much of a difference. Since I have begun using Polyglycan I have been able to stretch my horses HA injections by 6 months. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iride View Post
    What do you mean? Can you post any studies showing this, and are you referring to Adequan, Legend, or Polyglycan? What exactly is indicated as excessive? I've never heard this, if you're referring to Adeq/Leg. Thanks.

Adequan may act like Heparin. If that is true it could cause bleeding. Rayers may be referring to EIPH and eventing horses in particular.
    I hope he comes back and posts and update.

Quote Originally Posted by S A McKee View Post
    Adequan may act like Heparin. If that is true it could cause bleeding. Rayers may be referring to EIPH and eventing horses in particular.
    Ok, but, Adequan is so ubiquitous, I mean there are thousands upon thousands of horses on weekly doses. Wouldn't it be more common knowledge if this was a realistic concern? Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by S A McKee View Post
    And would this mean for only the time the horse was currently on treatment, or for the rest of the horses life?

Do that many horses really get *weekly* doses of Adequan, as in - 52 doses a year?

My vet actually made a comment to me as we were talking about what her experience has been working with Adequan - 2x year loading doses vs loading followed by monthly, etc. She said, per her usual - as often as necessary but as little as possible - and reference the possibility of kidney (liver??) issues if used too often for too long. We didn't have time for me to ask for details though, and I haven't remembered to ask since.

Quote Originally Posted by Iride View Post
    Ok, but, Adequan is so ubiquitous, I mean there are thousands upon thousands of horses on weekly doses. Wouldn't it be more common knowledge if this was a realistic concern? Just a thought.

No. At the moment, this is an issue that has not been fully studied as it was never looked at. In other words, some diseases in performance horses may be attributed to the wrong thing. It is not common knowledge because nobody was looking for this and these drugs are still fairly young. Only now are we getting to a point to see the effects of long term administration. At the same time there are owners/vets/riders who mistakenly believe in the "more is better" idea. They think that weekly or more dosing to keep the horse is sound is harmless. The same idea was prevalent with bute etc. in the past.

At the moment this is an issue being discussed among vets researching "unknown" deaths of horses in performance conditions. Specific studies may be forth coming. There is plenty of data in smaller animals, as well as horses, showing what SA McKee states with respect to heparin.

Is polyglycan an FDA approved drug and is it really suppose to be used as it is being used? I have read that is it a surgical lavage drug. I had also spoken to my vet about it and she won't prescribe it because this is not what or how it is suppose to be used.

Quote Originally Posted by draftgirl01 View Post
    Is polyglycan an FDA approved drug and is it really suppose to be used as it is being used? I have read that is it a surgical lavage drug. I had also spoken to my vet about it and she won't prescribe it because this is not what or how it is suppose to be used.
    Correct. It is being used off label. Doesn't mean it doesn't work. My doctor prescribed anti-seizure medication to me for my bipolar disorder. Off label, not tested for bipolar. But it worked, far better than any of the conventional meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffani B View Post
    Correct. It is being used off label. Doesn't mean it doesn't work. My doctor prescribed anti-seizure medication to me for my bipolar disorder. Off label, not tested for bipolar. But it worked, far better than any of the conventional meds.
    While it is true many human drugs are used off-label, it is not generally done without some study or review. It is not just some random doctor or person just administering a drug. I bet your anti-seizure med was tested sufficiently to request off-label use from the FDA. Drug makers can do that.