The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Unhappy badly flooded foaling barn--ideas?

We had extreme flooding last night all over this part of the state. I arrived home to probably 6-8" of standing water in the barn. Mare was fine. (wet but fine) but any ideas for drying this up pronto?

I removed what I could today, dug trenches... Will obviously remove more tomorrow as I can (too sloppy--maybe I should get a push broom and try to sweep it?) It's too muddy to try to pump--I have earth floors and use peat moss under shredded paper/straw for bedding...

On farm I know used Woody Pet in the show ring when it flooded after a storm... any experience?

This barn has only flooded one other time, and that was just the front. Fairly easily trenched, and there was plenty of dry space to stand.

I'm of course also worried about the health aspects... when I can get it down to mostly dry... lime? Anything else? I can wash the walls with Clorox easily... The good news is it's just plain old water. Not sewerage or runoff or the kind of 'bad' flooding that can happen...

InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post
    We had extreme flooding last night all over this part of the state. I arrived home to probably 6-8" of standing water in the barn. Mare was fine. (wet but fine) but any ideas for drying this up pronto?

I removed what I could today, dug trenches... Will obviously remove more tomorrow as I can (too sloppy--maybe I should get a push broom and try to sweep it?) It's too muddy to try to pump--I have earth floors and use peat moss under shredded paper/straw for bedding...

On farm I know used Woody Pet in the show ring when it flooded after a storm... any experience?

This barn has only flooded one other time, and that was just the front. Fairly easily trenched, and there was plenty of dry space to stand.

I'm of course also worried about the health aspects... when I can get it down to mostly dry... lime? Anything else? I can wash the walls with Clorox easily... The good news is it's just plain old water. Not sewerage or runoff or the kind of 'bad' flooding that can happen...

If the stalls are mushy/muddy, the woody pet may really help you out. I use it for my sheep and it absorbs quite a bit of water, and then turns shavings-like. Maybe get a bag of woody pet to test in an area? I am thinking it could absorb the extra moisture, then you could scoop out the woody pet and start again with a clean bed.

If you have standing water, a pump or wet vac would be my only suggestions. We use a pump at our New Orleans house when our backyard floods.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I think it's too muddy to pump now? I probably could have if i'd thought of that last night.

It's too watery to shovel today... but too much silt/peat to use a wet vac or pump I think...

My little brook sounds like a jet plane out there. It's an 8' culvert and was up to the level of the road at the culvert/bridge at 0230 when I came home. We had a badly flooding storm a month or so ago which also washed out roads etc., and I think it changed the drainage patterns enough for this one last night to be worse...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post

We used to have a frequent problem with flooding until we got excavating work done to fix our runoff problem. During that time we had a poolcover sump pump to pump just a few inches of water off, let everything else dry out and then limed the stripped stalls.

We had flooding in our barn also. Most of our indoor was under water and the water went down both aisles and into all the tack rooms, lounge, bathroom... only two stalls though! Boy does it smell now that the humidity has gone up! We use a sump pump and lots of fans to help dry things out. Good luck, it is sure a pain!