The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Consign or sell saddle myself?

So I've decided my saddle is not the best for me and it's not really fit any of the horses I've ridden in the past two years. Needless to say I've finally decided to part with it, even though I said I never would. It's a really nice custom (fairly desirable) saddle from '03.. still in really good shape, and the new prices have gone up quite a bit from when I bought it. Would you consign it or sell it yourself? I'm assuming most consignment places are gonna charge about 15-20% which is going to be quite a bit for my saddle.

I'd sell it myself. There are a number of outlets you can use - Ebay, COTH classifieds, etc. You'll likely get more money out of it if you sell yourself. Also, and this may have just been an isolated incident, but several years ago I tried to consign a Prestige dressage saddle at a local tack shop. It was there for ages and when I went in to check on it, it was at the bottom of a stack of saddles about ten high covered with scuffs and one of the the flaps was bent back with the weight of the others saddles on it. Needless to say, I took it home. Ended up selling it on Ebay for a decent price shortly thereafter.

Good luck!
    "If ever I did not have a horse or dog in my keeping, I should feel I had lost touch with the earth." ~Beryl Markham

I don't think I could put it on ebay, I'd be too nervous with that type of thing lol. But I figured the area site and the USEA site would probably be the best options.

I just sold two saddles at bits and barter and tacktrader.com
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

I've sold multiple saddles on Ebay--you reach the broadest market with them. When you post your listing, you can select certain buyer criteria--i.e., no negative feedback, no new Ebayers, etc. to help insure you have a smooth sale.
    I've never had trouble, always gotten what I wanted for the saddle--just make sure you charge enough for shipping the saddle since it does take some work to pack it well yourself, or pay UPS or the like to do it for you. I find the 18x18x24 boxes you get from moving places fit the saddles nicely, stood up on the pommel...loads of packing material all around it.
    Good luck--don't be scared, with Ebay and Paypal--you're fairly well protected should something go wrong. It's probably safer than selling it more locally and having people take it on trial, etc.
    Oh, and all the tack stores around here charge 25% commission, which with a nicer saddle is a good chunk of change! Sell it yourself

I've sold two on craigslist, no problems, sale in less than a week. I don't know how much market there is for someone else's custom saddle? I wouldn't buy one but maybe others are interested in that sort of thing?

Try to sell it yourself first. List it on free sites, maybe try ebay (you get the money first, before shipping the saddle, it is pretty safe). Then if you can't sell it, consign it. 25% seems to be the going rate.

I have consigned saddles and think that is a bad way to go. I did it with two, one expensive and one cheap. Both were underpriced as far as I was concerned, the commission was 20% and neither sold.

I put both of them on ebay, sold them for fair prices and substantially more than the tack store had them priced and sold them in one 7 day listing.

I will never go through the ridiculous hassle of consigning a saddle again.

I also sold a saddle by word of mouth and I sold one by hanging an ad in a few barns and feed stores.