The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Feeding? If you ride early in the morning?

Definitely working on modifying my horse routines and personal workout routines due to the heat...

for those who are riding really early, do you get up even earlier and feed, or feed part, or WHAT? Primary horse working is ulcer prone OTTB getting fit ...thanks!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

I usually get up at 4:45am, drag myself to the barn and feed a small portion of my horses hay. I then go into the house and drink coffee and putz around for about an hour. Go to barn again around 6am and ride. When I am done, I either put my horse outside on grass or let her eat a bit more hay and then she goes out for the day around 8am. I haven't had any problems with my horse and that schedule since November.

I deliberately avoid a rigid schedule for my horses specifically to allow for the vagaries of their human's schedule. Here, it can get quite hot and humid fairly early in the day, so I often strive to work my horses just post-dawn. I just grab the horse to be ridden that day (or the first one, if I'm doing two or more!), do what I need to do and then feed. They are accustomed to eating within a range of a few hours, not at a specific time, and they have 24/7 in-out access to their stalls or a run-in with grass or hay available. It works for me.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

My horse is a creature of habit (which I've clearly fostered...), and will be grumpy if I don't at least go through the motions & maintain his schedule. He also requires a large amount of grain, so if I'm planning on being on him for 6 am, I'll get up at 4:30, give him a flake & @ 1/4 - 1/3 of his grain, & let him digest for an hour or so. He gets the rest after he's cooled out. If I'm pressed for time & have to leave before he's cooled, he goes outside to graze & I'll leave him some hay in the run-in for later, & he just gets less grain that day. That doesn't happen often. Then again, it's been a long time since it's been that hot here (though I probably just jinxed it!)
    Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it; Boldness has genius, magic, and power in it ~ Goethe

I vary feeding time in the a.m. depending on my schedule for the day, but if I'm riding early (as was the case this past Fri a.m. when I had to be on the road at 6:30 a.m. for a 8 a.m. ride time in a clinic an hour away), I just feed earlier. My guys are used to being fed before work and I've done that for years will no ill effects. One of my mares is bit hefty so the only change I make is to feed a little less on the days with no work.

And living in Texas, we have to work summer riding around the coolest parts of the day - either earlier or later than usual.

SD

In regard to feeding in proximity to riding, the standard in the racing industry is to tie the horses to the wall or take away their hay 30 min to an hour b4 riders get to barn and as soon as they get back from the track and have had their bath/cool out, they go back in their stall for breakfast. Just "food" for thought.
    "Gallop as if you were to die tomorrow, jump as if you were to live forever."

If I'm riding early I also get up and feed hay and grain an hour (or more for horses with big meals) before the horse works, go back in the house and putz with coffee, then ride. I do not worry about taking the horses off hay before riding unless I'm galloping - then I take it away about an hour before I get on.

I feel like it might be hard for a horse to get focussed in the morning if he hasn't eaten since night check the night before? Might also not be great for an ulcer horse - wouldn't want that stomach acid sloshing around un-buffered?

mine are out 24/7 and get fed 1x a day ... Whenever works for me. Generally I feed after I ride and cool out. In summer they eat a token amount anyway and if I have to skip it I will
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Quote Originally Posted by olympicdreams04 View Post
    In regard to feeding in proximity to riding, the standard in the racing industry is to tie the horses to the wall or take away their hay 30 min to an hour b4 riders get to barn and as soon as they get back from the track and have had their bath/cool out, they go back in their stall for breakfast. Just "food" for thought.
    This is what I do. Get up at 5.30-ish, remove haynet (which usually still has about half a flake left), have breakfast/get dressed then ride. Horsie gets his hard feed after the ride.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

However, for an ulcer prone horse it's good to have hay in their stomach when you ride. So, if I were the OP I would feed 1-2 flakes of hay (perhaps alfalfa for an ulcery horse) and tack the horse up in its stall while it eats. Or if you want to get out maybe 1/2 hour early and feed hay, then tack up that works too. Then ride, wait until the horse cools out completely, and let it finish that hay and then have morning grain.
    Emily

Don't know if night TO is an option for you, but for the ones of ours that go first thing in the morning, they come in from turnout (where they've been munching grass overnight), have a handful of grain so they don't have a temper tantrum that their buddies are being fed, and then go out to work. When they come back, they are cooled out, and put to bed with breakfast and a flake of hay. Some of the ones who want to be ulcery don't tend to want to eat much of their breakfast first thing anyway, so they usually get first shift. Seems to work fairly well, and saves getting up at the wee crack of dawn to feed a fussy eater and wait for him to finish.

Rasta is an ulcer prone horse that has NEVER gone off his feed; and yes, he stays out overnight - just comes in during the hottest part of the day as there isn't any shade in the paddocks (though even with 3 fans/horse, right now, the barn seems awfully HOT! - the heat index in Covington is 106!). Am going to get up at 5:00 tomorrow morning, feed hay, and then wake up for about 30 minutes (drink COFFEE!!) - that oughta work. Next weekend we have a blissful 6:30 a.m. ride time in a clinic with Becky Holder, so this will be great practice!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

I had a 7 am ride with Becky at a clinic today. I fed at 5:45 and my mare had no ill effects. Our horses are out at night now and we feed them when we bring them in around 7:30. Work for the first one begins at 8:30. That schedule works for us - may not for others. BTW, Becky was great, as usual.

It depends on what you are going to feed. I think that he should be fine to ride when you get up since he has some grass/hay on his stomach (I don't know why the racing people routinely remove hay before workouts). You can ride and let him cool, then give him his grain. He does not each much grain anyway, right?

Here is an old thread on feeding and riding that I found:
    http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=175341

I get up and throw a token amount...one flake each..then get dressed. After they are ridden they get the rest. Through by about 9:00. Thats in the summer because I am a teacher. The rest of the year is different of course.

If I'm bringing them in...I like to give them at least a little food. When I'm riding 2 or 3...I will give the ones I'm not riding first their full breakfast and the one that I'm riding first a few large handfuls. I usually make sure I bring that horse in first, then go and catch the others.

I really do this just so that they do not become difficult to catch. And I do factor this in to the time I have to get to the barn....ideally, I get to the barn between 5 and 5:30 and leave by 8:30....but it doesn't always happen

None of mine eat so much grain that it matters much (by my standard that is less than 2lbs per feeding). When I have had horses who were are larger amounts of grain ...I just adjusted their meals so that breakfast was the smallest meal.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I like them to have hay in their belly before I ride, and although mine don't get fed grain in the morning (easy keepers, one meal of concentrates per day is plenty) I will always tie the horse in front of a haynet if I'm prepping for an early-morning ride. The 20 minutes it takes to groom and tack up is enough time for a hungry horse to snarf a good bit.
    Click here before you buy.

Goodness sake, you all are a conscientious bunch!
    The way my work and riding schedules mesh, I do most of my riding in the morning, at breakfast time. He's boarded, so whether he gets anything to eat before I ride depends on how early I get there and how early they start feeding.
    Sometimes he's done eating before I get there, sometime he hasn't started, sometimes he's halfway through. (He hates me the most, I think, when I take him out of his stall just as they are throwing grain to everyone else.)
    Maybe we've been lucky, but we've not had any ill effects from any one of those combinations. Usually he's cool enough by the time I've washed him down that I don't mind him going back in his stall and eating up whatever is left. He's never shown any ill effects from having to go exercise right after breakfast. The only time I worry is if we've done a big gallop, he's still fairly warm even after our cool-down, and he's got his whole breakfast left to eat. Then I'll take it out of his stall and ask someone else who is around to give it to him later.
    I evented just for the Halibut.