The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default spin off from the serious about riding thread

This is just a hypothetical for fun, but there was so much good info on that thread that it made me want to see folks' opinion...

How far do you think it's possible for an older ammy without a BFC or OSD to go, if they're a) really dedicated b) have some talent c) a learner d) have a good (but not BN) trainer? Does it all depend on show success? With good show success, could such a person end up as a semi-pro local instructor with a good following, or some such? Or what? Is there a place in the industry, or is it all just spend, spend, spend for a creature like this?
    Last edited by mortebella; Jun. 20, 2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: left a word out

I definitely think it is possible, but I think that it will depend largely on success at shows - both your own success and the success of your students.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Absolutely... we have tons of those types of trainers around here and they all seem to have plenty of students.

Sure, but WHERE do they want to go? I don't recall seeing "semi-pro" as a category in the rule books. If the older ammy wants to continue to have fun showing as an ammy, then they need to keep that status; for a challenge they can focus on bringing along the young budget-friendly horse, or take an occasional kid under their wing but not in lieu of the kid having a regular trainer.

If the ammy wants to quit showing or is OK with only showing a little and only in the pro divisions, they can have success as a local trainer. In that situation I think their show record becomes less important than their teaching skills. They would want to start by helping an established trainer with up-down lessons and summer camps; be taken on as a kind of working student. They might want to think about whether they have/can develop special skills to teach little ones, or beginner adults.

Is your hypothetical ammy going to do this on a part-time basis or does she want to give up her day job? Pretty hard to go out on her own unless she has a barn and a string of lesson horses, because she's just not likely to attract an A-circuit clientele. But also pretty hard to develop the skills and the clients if she's limited by the time constraints of her regular full-time job as well.
    Incredible Invisible

I knew that word "semi-pro" was going to get me into trouble! You hit the crux of the biscuit in your last paragraph, Quinn. I was just looking for a short-hand way to say, I know ammy status evaporates instantly for adults as soon as you do any little thing apparently, but I never see this hypothetical ammy ever giving up her day job, trying to get her own barn, etc. Not THAT much ambition. Just wondering out loud, I guess, if people had seen examples of old brats that ever came back on at least a local level and made good at least part time w/o a bankroll.

Then I think the answer is yes, I've seen such adults come back to teach, but only as 'assistant trainer' types; maybe the home/beginner trainer at a bigger (local-type) show barn. The barrier is that without a big name/bankroll that type of trainer is just going to get beginners and local riders, but those are the riders who start without horses. The ammy-turned-pro needs to have access to schoolies and a facility to teach out of.
    Incredible Invisible

In my area there seem no end to trainers just like you are describing. Some are working for barns that have school horses and some basically ride at one of the bigger barns and start taking in students.