The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default free leasing

How difficult or common is it to find a nice 3' hunter or eq horse for a summer free lease or with a small lease fee? I would be okay paying for training rides and would want to lessons/show the horse. Does it seem possible to find this sort of arrangement, any ideas on lease fee prices (would want the horse for 4 months.) Horse doesn't need to be amazing but fun and showable.

Thanks!

Do you mean you want to pay expenses(board ect.), but not a lease fee? Or do you mean you just want to ride someones horse for free?

A girl at my barn is free leasing my very nice 3' (with potential for 3'6) hunter. I might have been able to find someone to lease him for a fee but I didn't want him to move to another barn. I have another horse so I still see him frequently and can keep an eye on things.

Also my interests and those of the lessee converged. She's a good rider moving up from a large pony and wants to be able to show as much as possible during her last two junior years and my horse needs more show miles and I have confidence in her ability to do well by him. Due to family responsibilities I can't show much at this point, which is fine since my new horse is very green and not really ready for the ring.

So I think it is possible to find a good horse on a free or low fee lease, particularly given this economy, but I know I wouldn't have offered my horse to just anyone. Also we have a full year's lease agreement. I wouldn't want to get my horse back at the end of the show season and have to carry him over the winter.
    Last edited by EAY; Jun. 20, 2009 at 02:04 PM.

Just to clarify things, by free lease I mean that the lessee pays board and expenses on the horse and in exchange has the exclusive use of the horse.

Honestly, a free lease for, what? 8 weeks? On a 3' decent type?

Not going to say it's impossible BUT...most uncommon unless you know somebody who does not need to sell or long term lease and is willing to let you ride it for just expenses for a month or two.

With the economy, people may want out and need to move the horse...for more then the 8 weeks here. They do not want it back, cannot take it back, they need to sell.

And it's always true that a finished horse capable of 3' or more will find more takers, possibly in their own barn, then some prospect or something not capable of that 3' or even show quality.

Go ask around but....most want to keep it in the home barn and if they are trying to sell it, will be very selective so any value is not removed. If you do find something, it will likely be a sale horse that can continue to be marketed.

This is a good market for you if you want to buy or long term lease, not so good for a few weeks or months during peak selling season.

Best chance is by networking with your trainer and others who might know a special situation (rider ill or injured or overseas for summer study).
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Ditto findeight. A lot of people are trying to sell, so a 4 month lease will be difficult to find. Usually the shorter the lease term is, the more the lease will cost, especially at this time of the show season. There are free leases out there, with nice horses, you really just have to hunt for one. Where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by IsolaBella09 View Post
    Ditto findeight. A lot of people are trying to sell, so a 4 month lease will be difficult to find. Usually the shorter the lease term is, the more the lease will cost, especially at this time of the show season. There are free leases out there, with nice horses, you really just have to hunt for one. Where are you located?

Yes it depends are where she is located as some areas have more horses and others not so many.

I would love a free lease arrangement of this kind right now as my mom is extremely ill and I have 2 horses....my mare is ready for 2'6" as her changes are not consistant enough yet for the 3 ft. I think it may be easier to find a 2'6" horse to have fun on. Most 3 foot horses are already out there showing for the season.

You need someone like myself who doesn't have the immediate time to show her horse but wants the horse to get the miles.....not easy...I have a unique situation with a critically ill mother :-(

But in this economy you never know...maybe look for a half lease of someone who is riding but cannot afford to show but wants the horse to show?
    Adriane
    Happily retired but used to be:
    www.ParrotNutz.com

I'm sure this kind of lease is out there, but will be difficult to find. I had a free lease on a lovely horse years ago because the owner didn't want to ride it . . . and didn't want to sell it. In this economy, people may be looking for a break in expenses but probably not just for the summer (when many people want to ride).

IMHO, the clincher here would be, what value would you add to *my* horse. Are you a good enough rider that the horse would come back with more/better miles? Or are you just moving up to this level?

To find a horse for lease I'd ask around at the barns in your area. Many people will want their horse to stay at their barn and have you ride with their trainer. If you are riding with a trainer then maybe they can put out some feelers.

Quote Originally Posted by JSO View Post
    How difficult or common is it to find a nice 3' hunter or eq horse for a summer free lease or with a small lease fee? I would be okay paying for training rides and would want to lessons/show the horse. Does it seem possible to find this sort of arrangement, any ideas on lease fee prices (would want the horse for 4 months.) Horse doesn't need to be amazing but fun and showable.

Thanks!
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Just to restate something here...a finished 3' show horse for the Hunters and Eq on a short term lease mid season is NOT going to be free if it really IS a finished 3' show horse.

UNLESS you find an ill or injured rider or somebody tied up with a special project and they will want to keep it in their barn with their trainer.

If you want free, look for a less finished horse where you can add value buy schooling and putting mileage on it-even there, most owners want a longer term arrangement.

On the lease fees...standard cost is 1/3 of stated value per year and you pay all costs plus insurance. So you would be looking at, say, a 60k value to keep the math simple. That would be 20k per year, split that down to 4 months and you get 1/3rd of that or about 6500 for the 4 months.

Lesser quality or lesser trained horses will be less and vary greatly but those are the ones people really need to sell so may not be available for short term because they don't want them back.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I think alot will depend on where you're located also... and whether or not you need to take the horse off-premises where he/she is located.

Bc it's summer-time, you may find that some kids go to camp or away on extended family vacations... so a HALF-LEASE might be a good option. That will give you a few days to ride and maybe the weekend to show? Especially if you're located somewhere close to a coast where families may go to beach houses or summer homes.

I would still expect to pay for a half-lease for a finished, made 3-ft horse. Even in this economy, I suspect most will find a longer-term half-leaser rather than expecting something short term and with no fee.

That being said, I think you could probably find something inexpensive if you keep an open mind for 8 weeks. Maybe you could offer to work off some of it for the owner of the barn or of the horse? After all, it's 8 weeks of showing... so unless you're planning on taking it on the road and doing the A Circuit... it probably doesn't have to be Rox Dene!

I'd put the word out locally... you may have the best luck that way! Talk to trainers, put ads up in tack shops etc.

I come from Eventing and Dressage, where a free lease is much more the norm than a paid lease. Usually because of owner's time (family issues, work, etc etc), or because the horse is on it's way down but is a family member and they don't want to part with it, and this helps provide a "job" until retirement.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

I would never free lease a made horse out of the barn. A project definitely, but to take a made horse and free lease it never. I would rather the horse sit in the pasture than take a chance it comes back with issues, or even has more wear and tear on the hocks for free. That being said, I leased a nice made horse for a year for really short money plus insurance to someone I know and they only jump the horse 3', plus he got turned out and had the enter winter off, so it was a win-win.

You might want to check with a nearby university, if you happen to live near one that has a barn or equestrian team. My school is lucky enough to own 25 horses, and when students leave for the summer we have fewer people to ride them and often let students or community members free lease or lease one for cheaper.
    Last summer I free leased one and did the 3ft eq and had a great time. We're lucky enough to have lots of nice, show quality horses, and I don't know where you are located and if there is a similar situation nearby, but it's worth a shot. Good luck!

I just leased out 3 horses for 6 months (rest of show year) full training, will show all that stuff. Basically at the height of summer when so many show/lessons and such I would never consider anything shorter. However you may find someone that is injured or offto europe for the summer..but prolly should have started looking in the spring or atleast put some feelers out at local barns