The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default when was the last time you fell off? stories please, I told mine!!!

The other day I'm riding my clients jumper, as we approach a 3'6 oxer with a good 3'9 spread horse slips and stops. I sit bk as I'm getting ready to turn him around he decides he can "jack rabbit" it. Horse leaps off all fours clears the jump, I go flying worried that I might land on left side( just got rotator cuff surgery in Dec 08) do all I can and I land smack on my butt. I was due for a good fall as its been 5yrs or so. Boy am I sore, my one student says to me, now I know what you feel like when you see one of us fall..in between my shoulder blades hurt, left shoulder hurts and right arm is sore too.. I'm glad I fell off of him and not my big 17.1 appendix mare, he is only 15.3.. Tell us your recent fall story..m
    Let the horse go, get out of its way, it knows what to do...Stop pulling and keep kicking!!!!!!

medaleq27 Guest

My most recent fall was last week on my 5 year old warmblood gelding. Our ring is pretty tight and i was going down a gymnastic on the center line we come out of it lands on the right lead(i wanted him to turn right) i thought that we were going to turn right, he wanted to turn left i lost my balance. Then i was slidding off the right side of him and i fell on my butt on a rail beside the ring IT HURT. So that's my story, i bet not nearly as exciting as some other people's posts yet to come. But it was the first time I fell off him. He got a little razzled by it.

Lets see...2 yrs ago, got a friends horse in to sell, I had hunted him (he was fantastic), but he did have some trouble with ditches... went to walk him over a tiny one, instead he totally launched himself over, I landed in front of him and both of us were completly shocked!

He got over it, so did I, mostly my ego was bruised!

Mine was maybe March of '08, pretty much the same as yours only the fence was smaller. A lot smaller. Stop and leap. He must have had a lovely bascule though, because he pretty much disappeared out from under me and then I skidded down his shoulder on my face. I had dirt in my mouth, my ears, my clothes, heck, in my underwear. I'm a bit old for this anymore.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I was BM for a camp last summer and was riding one of our horses who we quickly designated as an "advanced only". Cute as a button, but hot (not crazy, just forward) large pony. Well, we start cantering and he's quick, but normally after a few strides settles into a nice rhythm. Before he can there's a "snap" and suddenly I have no stirrup leather and the noise has spooked him so he starts flying. At this point we're coming up on the narrow end of the ring so rather than getting tossed into the fence I said "oh well" and let go. I got a nice sized strawberry (aka battle wound) on my hip and had lots of fun showing it off. Didn't have such fun walking around stiff for several days.

That was about a year ago. I'm currently schooling an 18.2 HH draft greenie. I'm thankful he has a great head on his shoulders and praying that my time to get tossed again is saved for another, shorter mount!

Does anyone else feel like you're going in slow-mo when you're falling and if you could just grab the saddle/mane....bam! ground always beats me to the grabbing part (so unfortunate).

I was at a show in my equitation course, there was a 3'3" rolltop with about a 3' spread or so. Ummmmm, yeah. It's a baddddd idea to come into a fence that size going about .3 mph. We landed in the middle of it, and I just got launched. Haha
    --Chris--

At my last show, it was close to the end of the day and I decided to enter a small 3ft medal at the last minute, as practice for my real medal the next day. So, we start our course and it was fine, but the pony was acting a little spooky. I was barely keeping her going with my spurs in her sides almost the entire time(and usually she doesn't even need a spur, but I wore my baby spurs just in case). Anyways, we jump the first fence of the line and I notice she starts getting wiggley as we headed to the oxer. Right as we're about to jump it, she puts on the brakes, does a little rear hop and bucks and I do a flip over her head and into the oxer. That was the most painful fall I've had, since I hit my back directly down on the wooden rails, which didn't even fall, and somehow I ended up standing in the middle of the jump between the front and back rails! Looking back, I realize that we were both tired, so I know better now than to push an extra class at the end of a long show day and I came to find out the end of the next day that the pony might have been in a good amount of pain; since I noticed that she started to limp when we were loading up to go home(apparently she had a stone bruise, but no one knew when I was showing because she wasn't limping or looking lame at all before and showed no signs of it except maybe her bitchiness). Poor pony; I felt so bad. =(

i feel like it was recent (well, at least some time in the past year), except now i can't think of what it was, or if it was.

either way, i think i'm overdue
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

About a month ago my greenie stopped, looked at the tractor, and went bronc. I managed to stay on until she stopped Then I kinda slid off... very sad indeed.
    To be loved by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe-
    for we have not deserved it.
    Marion Garretty

The last time I fell off was back in December at an indoor show. I had a great round with my horse, and was cantering my way around the end when my horse slipped on the footing. I landed on my head and he jumped out of the way to try not and hit me. Saint of a horse. Everyone had been slipping that morning and the people in charge had done nothing. I'm never showing indoors there again. Ever. Since then, I have not fallen off.

My last was last summer I think. We had a "substitute" trainer doing lessons (older woman who rides at the barn, been riding forever) and I got put on a new sale horse known only as "Chestnut Pony" (no name+chestnut+pony=bad sign right there). Chestnut Pony was pretty good for the lesson, then we went to jump. Trotted right up to a small crossrail, pony stopped and I kept going, apparently did a flip over his head. I told my trainer the next week and she goes "Yeah, he doesn't jump"

I've found that falling off either happens in slow motion or instantaneously. You either feel yourself falling and try desperately to grab onto something and recover, or you're fine one minute and the next you're on the ground.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Does ALMOST falling off count?

I ride in a little local show every year to support the only "real" show that's close to where I live. I show my mare in the AO Jumpers on the regular circuit, but the biggest classes are 3'9" at this show. I tend to get a little complacent with her when the fences are little and here's the result (skip ahead to the jumpoff at 2:18):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDvcVoYyp-k

The last time I actually fell off was a year ago on my green OTTB. Similar thing happened that you described. I had a 3'9" vertical-12'-to-a-pole exercise set up. I cantered in and ended up with a shorter distance than I anticipated. He did some weird spook thing (presumably at the pole on the landing side of the fence) and started to stop and I sat up for the stop. At the last second he opted to jump which popped me loose. He caught the rail with his back end and decided to buck me off after we landed....it was a fine F-OFF from a horse ! I was still recovering from a broken leg and ankle and was terrified of landing on my left ankle, but I guess it proved to me that I'm healed since I landed hard on both of my feet and nothing broke

I've had many other "near misses" on him since. He tends to like to reprimand me (by bucking) when I "make him" have rails....goofy boy!

Oh, I suppose I'm skipping my attempt at breaking my 4yo TB colt maybe 6 months ago. On day 2 of being led around on him he opted to go completely bronc on me. I didn't even have that split second where you think you might be able to hang on. One minute we were walking quietly and the next I was sailing (HIGH) in the air. I landed flat on my back and the only thing worse than my wounded pride was the fact that I knew I had to get back on him. He was shipped off to a NH trainer the next week.

I believe the last time I fell off was about..8 or 9 months ago.
    There were about 5 horses in the arena (at most there is 3 usually) all just walking because one horse was nervous (he was new).
    I was just hacking my guy, and while we were doing a canter pirouette, he fell out to the trot. So I spurred him pretty good (nothing he isn't used to, it's not a bad spur but more like a "heyy get up there") and he BUCKED. HUGE. He NEVER bucks and I have never fallen off of him (I've had him for 3 years and we've landed in a few jumps..)! I swear I didn't even stay on for the whole way up, it was so hard. Hahahah. And he's a big, long 17 hand Swedish Warmblood/Oldenburg, but MAN that horse has a buck.
    So then, of course, he runs across the ring by the horse that is all nervous.. But still. I didn't even know what was happening until I saw his knee as I was going down.
    Last edited by watson16; Jun. 19, 2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: typos

I was at Reading Roundup doing a stration in front of a bunch of young kids, and some fellow pony clubbers needed another team member so I go sure I've done games. Well I was on my hunter and the first game he was fine, we just walked and trotted the whole thing, well we were doing another game and I'm reaching over to get the flag and my hunter goes whoa whoa...and I very gracefully landed on my butt. All kinds of adults are rushing out to see me and my mom yells that I'm fine, I popped right back up brushed off and hopped on him walked him over and picked up the flag and he was like oh ok, then went on to jump 3'6 like the angel he is.

I thought it was very amusing and I told everyone I planned it just forgot to send the memo.

Quote Originally Posted by kateh View Post
    I've found that falling off either happens in slow motion or instantaneously. You either feel yourself falling and try desperately to grab onto something and recover, or you're fine one minute and the next you're on the ground.
    i ABSOLUTELY agree with this! god i hate that falling trying to catch yourself feeling!

wow, i have quite a few good ones :P

one time i was jumping my TB in the ring. he tends to sometimes take off after fences, so i was attempting to stop him straight facing the fence. he did like a bounce/prop step as he finally came to a stop while quickly turning to the left. the bounce had already unseated me, and the turn made me loose my balance completely... resulting in my left foot still in the stirrup and my right foot on the rail of the fence, hanging suspended in the air! i guess i was too stunned to do anything quickly enough, so he took off and i plunked firmly onto the ground my friend, who was riding with me, made fun of me about that for WEEKS.

another good one:
    my friend and i were bored bringing horses in one day. she decided to ride her horse back to the barn bareback, with only a halter and a lead rope. i thought that i could do the same on another horse in the field. i led him up to the fence, got on, he took off bucking, and i landed on the ground. it was a big ouch and of course i was not wearing a helmet... at least it taught me never to assume a green horse will be comfortable with someone getting on him bareback, no matter how quiet he is under saddle! i was sore and limping around after that for days, because i landed on my side/hip. really, really stupid thing to do!

Last year on my rehab mare at a walk.

She was slightly drugged and we were supposed to just walk for 15 min. I was on a long rein and not focused, mid step she just very calmly turned herself inside out like she did a 5ft jump forma stand still and I catapulted straight out of the saddle. Lucky for her I landed slightly to the left on my feet and not on her back! LOL

She is back in full work and has been showing all year but will still do the same thing every once in a while. Very calmly and completley in stride and control throw a huge back curl and then continue as though nothing happened. It's super cool and kind of like "stealing a jump" when she does it at a canter.
    Timothy, stop lurking

A few months ago, riding in a lesson. Simple instruction - canter straight line over poles. As we approach the end of the ring, one of the barn dogs magically appears out of the tall grass there. The 15h mare manages to go backwards and sideways all at the same time, and I didn't. Flipped off her right shoulder and landed flat on my back. Luckily nothing injured but my pride.

The last time I fell was in August when my horse ended up finally crippling himself beyond repair. Simple warmup jump going to it beautifully, now Sansibar never really touched rails but the day I fell off he landed on the bcak rail at an angle where itwould not come down so as a result he flipped over the jump. His knees were draining blood like there was no tomorrow my t-boots turned red. So this incident basically started a downward spiral of Sansibar, this triggered his arthritis in his knees, so stall rested for a while because his knees got infected, tore a suspensory, moved to be retired and now jumped the fence so the arthritis came back bad. sigh.

My funniest fall was when I was immitating how I used to ride at my old barn then a flock of geese fly above us and this bombproof hunter decides it is an ample oppurtunity to rear up with me. Needless to say I ended up on the ground.

The last time I fell off a horse was last June. I was riding my green TB. We were cantering in a grass field, all very nice and balanced, when suddenly he spots a buddy, loses concentration, switches leads, slips, and we were both sitting on the ground. Oops. The whole thing took two strides. He was a good boy -- just hopped up and stood there looking sheepish.

The last time I FELL was last night. I am seven months pregnant and apparently a bit off my game. I slipped on some water in my basement and cracked my head on the corner of a chair. I literally had a dent in my skull behind my ear for a good hour. Now I have a monstrous hematoma. Way to go, self.