The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm never moving, not south or west anyway.
    http://TouchstoneAcres.com
    Touchstone Acres Lipizzans, Standing N. Samira VI (Gray), N. XXIX-18(Black), more in 2014

We have lots of scorpions here. I see one about every other night on my patio.
    ugh

Reason enough for me to stay east AND north! I'll deal with whatever bugs and insects we get up here. No thanks to scorpions, Black Widows and Brown recluse spiders ...

I'm with everyone else who's staying put! I'll take my beloved (albeit moist) pacific northwest's aversion to poisonous critters (aside from the alleged brown recluse and very reclusive black widow).

Every time I start thinking that I want to move further south and/or further east a thread like this comes around and reminds me that nope, I'm happy where I am. No big spiders, no lizards, no ticks, no snakes, no scorpions....I rescind my winter incantation that includes, "I'm moving to Arizona, I'm moving to Arizona, I'm moving to Arizona....."

And BTW, Samotis, your story about getting stung on the toe had me rolling on the floor. That is priceless imagery!

I'm staying NORTH! Forget that. It's bad enough having horrible winters (sub-artic temps) but in exchange, we've only got a few bad spiders (black widows and brown recluses... though both aren't too common) and snakes. Oh, and the obnoxious mosquitos... but least they aren't nasty and bad like scorpions & tarantulas (I do suppose they can kill you though, with all the nasty diseases they transmit).
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    I'm with everyone else who's staying put! I'll take my beloved (albeit moist) pacific northwest's aversion to poisonous critters (aside from the alleged brown recluse and very reclusive black widow).

Every time I start thinking that I want to move further south and/or further east a thread like this comes around and reminds me that nope, I'm happy where I am. No big spiders, no lizards, no ticks, no snakes, no scorpions....I rescind my winter incantation that includes, "I'm moving to Arizona, I'm moving to Arizona, I'm moving to Arizona....."

And BTW, Samotis, your story about getting stung on the toe had me rolling on the floor. That is priceless imagery!
    It must be a common attitude up there. I grew up near Seattle and my folks still live up there. Every time my mom comes to visit I have to hear about how TX is a "hostile environment" and the state should be evacuated and turned into a prison. My mom HATES it here and HATES that I live here. Oh well, at least she never overstays her welcome and Hubby and I have a beautiful place to go on vacation.

I have to laugh too hard!!! I grew up in the NE, blizzards, black ice and those darned mosquitoes!!!

Many years ago, I was sent to Alabama (thanks to the US Army) shortly after the movie "Deliverance" came out...I was scared S***less to go there!!! From there I went to Arizona!! - I knew I was a goner by then!

Needless to say, I have lived here over 25 plus years! I have NEVER seen a scorpion except in the movies or at a zoo....I live out in the desert...Not in a built up area...

When I first came out here, the Army told me, "There is nothing out here that will kill you, it may make you wish you were dead, but it will not kill you"....

I do not miss the snowy, icy winters (well maybe for Christmas eve), when I cannot ride, but, you guys just enjoy where you are and PLEASE do not come to Arizona!!! We like being in the boonies .....

Sorry, I could not resist......

Signed a Desert Hermit.....

I do not miss the snowy, icy winters (well maybe for Christmas eve), when I cannot ride, but, you guys just enjoy where you are and PLEASE do not come to Arizona!!! We like being in the boonies .....

Sorry, I could not resist......

Signed a Desert Hermit.....
    Dont you come whining on here when you get stung by a scorpion then ... ... we just wont care at all ... ... as we happily swat at our mosquito's up north ...

Absolutely zero chance of my moving to AZ or NM or any of those oven states. One of my cousins moved to AZ and she loves it. I do have to say her photos are gorgeous! She hikes the Grand Canyon often and her surrounding scenery is stunning.
    But HOT! She's always saying, "You have to come visit, you'd move here! You can buy a farm here! Yeah, it gets hot but it's a dry heat."
    Okay...inside my oven is a "dry heat" but I don't want to live in there either. 110-120 degrees are cooking temps, not living temps.

Not a big fan of humid heat either. Love some of the southern states...KY, TN, etc look lovely and have very reasonably priced real estate compared to CT where I live. But one August there and I'd be walking back to New England if I had to. I'd be following my horses...who are happy as clams running around in snow and single digit temps and miserable as heck when the temps go over 90. I can't fully speak horse but standing with head hanging, ears pinned, tail slapping back and forth and sweating looks pretty miserable to me.

I like winters...hubby isn't a huge fan but doesn't hate them either. Since he stays inside, I told him he doesn't have too much say in location, LOL! I do all the outside work including snow removal. He'd like to retire somewhere that we can have real acreage with real pasture and not unreal taxes. My laundry list would be the same and include no heat or humidity from Hades, potable plentiful water, no tornados/earthquakes/mudslides/other really pissed off acts of Nature and decent vets/equine community and grocery store within 30-45 minutes away.

Critters don't bother me...although that "no ticks" thing about the PNW sounds loverly. It would be nice to not get Lyme repeatedly. Sounds muddy though. I wouldn;t be thrilled with piranhas or sharks but those are usually easily avoided.

So far the only "perfect" place I've found so far has been Uruguay. But then there's that language barrier thing. I don't speak Uruguayian/Uruguaynese...what do they even speak there?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I am staying right here in good 'ole VA.
    OP, everyone reacts differently (?) to bites, I now have a horrible reaction to mosquitos, big welts. yuck. feel better!!

Great now I can be paranoid about scorpions again. I have not seen any in FL ever but did see a few while I was growing up in Ga. The spiders we have here in FL freak me out! They are as big as my hand but luckily they seem to only come out at night. Although I am careful touch the undersides of buckets and wheel barrows as they just love to hid there. We have a few snakes too around the property. I try to leave the scary spiders alone in hoping they will leave me alone. Although I did have to kill that one that was in my towel when I pulled it off the rack to use it. It was huge and scary and so I killed it.

I hope your finger is feeling better. Scorpions are one of my biggest fears!
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

Eek Nova Scotia is looking pretty good right now! I've never encountered anything more serious than a bee. Nasty bugs give me the willies.

I got stung by an itty bitty yellow one in Cuba once, sat down quietly on a bale of hay and prepared to die. I *knew* better, but still--scared the bejeebers out of me. About 20 minutes later I figured I was still alive and just went on about my business.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry roan View Post
    I'm with you EqTrainer--staying put!!
    Are you kidding... east is just as bad, but here its wasps, yellow jackets, black widows, brown recluse, and copperheads!

We pulled a baby copperhead out of the pool last weekend. After a long, hot, afternoon I just wanted to sit and put my feet in the pool, and there he was. DH and I had to chase him around with the net and kill him.

Needless to say, I lost my desier to put my feet in the pool, and won't be swimming at night until the darn light is fixed!

And I think I've been stung just about every year at Capital Challenge, as that's always when the yellow jackets are out in force. Thise little buggers are as foul tempered as scorpions.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColours View Post
    Dont you come whining on here when you get stung by a scorpion then ... ... we just wont care at all ... ... as we happily swat at our mosquito's up north ...
    If I could just come up to visit for a week and play in snow, I would be happy..... actually, I can just drive 15 minutes up the road and play in the mountain snow during our winters here....

I promise not to whine though.....

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I got stung by an itty bitty yellow one in Cuba once, sat down quietly on a bale of hay and prepared to die. I *knew* better, but still--scared the bejeebers out of me. About 20 minutes later I figured I was still alive and just went on about my business.
    Cuba, however, has no poisonous snakes. Yet another reason I like to vacation in Cuba. I once had a Mexican holiday that included spending a few nights in an open air tree house. It was very cool but by the third night, I had a serious case of the willies. One bed was suspended from the ceiling so that scorpions could not crawl into it. The other bed had the legs covered in plastic so they could not crawl up the legs.

The owner was constantly warning us to hang up our bags, zip up our bags, don't put on shoes without shaking them out...medical care was a boat ride away. I asked what would happen if we got stung. She said "just don't get stung".

Oh and then there was the viper issue....
    "Because it's 2015"

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Absolutely zero chance of my moving to AZ or NM or any of those oven states. One of my cousins moved to AZ and she loves it. I do have to say her photos are gorgeous! She hikes the Grand Canyon often and her surrounding scenery is stunning.
    But HOT! She's always saying, "You have to come visit, you'd move here! You can buy a farm here! Yeah, it gets hot but it's a dry heat."
    Okay...inside my oven is a "dry heat" but I don't want to live in there either. 110-120 degrees are cooking temps, not living temps.

Not a big fan of humid heat either. Love some of the southern states...KY, TN, etc look lovely and have very reasonably priced real estate compared to CT where I live. But one August there and I'd be walking back to New England if I had to. I'd be following my horses...who are happy as clams running around in snow and single digit temps and miserable as heck when the temps go over 90. I can't fully speak horse but standing with head hanging, ears pinned, tail slapping back and forth and sweating looks pretty miserable to me.

I like winters...hubby isn't a huge fan but doesn't hate them either. Since he stays inside, I told him he doesn't have too much say in location, LOL! I do all the outside work including snow removal. He'd like to retire somewhere that we can have real acreage with real pasture and not unreal taxes. My laundry list would be the same and include no heat or humidity from Hades, potable plentiful water, no tornados/earthquakes/mudslides/other really pissed off acts of Nature and decent vets/equine community and grocery store within 30-45 minutes away.

Critters don't bother me...although that "no ticks" thing about the PNW sounds loverly. It would be nice to not get Lyme repeatedly. Sounds muddy though. I wouldn;t be thrilled with piranhas or sharks but those are usually easily avoided.

So far the only "perfect" place I've found so far has been Uruguay. But then there's that language barrier thing. I don't speak Uruguayian/Uruguaynese...what do they even speak there?
    What? Move to England! We had no nasty critters lurking, no really nasty weather (Though you'd think so when we get an inch of snow ), property prices aren't too bad, and lots of decent vets.

See?

http://www.ruralscene.co.uk/look/new.asp
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Oaks Farm View Post
    Yes, I had a scorpion under my freaking pillow. Nice.
    I use my blackberry as an alarm and tuck it under my pillow. A couple weeks ago, it went off and I reached under my pillow to get it and had a terrible pain shoot up my arm. I leapt out of bed screaming and somehow realized it was probably a scorpion (I got stung twice last year.) Hubby looks under my pillow and sure enough, it was a scorpion.

I was stung on the wrist and had red streaks and pain up almost to my elbow. Went away within an hour, for the most part.

I stepped on one in the house last year and that pain/numbness lasted several hours. The other sting last year was also in bed but was not nearly as bad - only hurt a bit for a few minutes. I think that one didn't get a full force sting.

I have been stung by wasps also and although they hurt like heck, I think scorpions are worse.

No scorpions here in Mo (that I've seen), but I'm always on the lookout for the brown recluses, and I'm having war this year with the wasps. This season's variety of wasp isn't agreeing with me at all. I've been stung 3 times so far - immediate shooting pain up and down the entire extremity, and it then develops a red spot around 4-5 inches in diameter around the sting and is extremely hot for all of that - will burn fingers to the touch. Painful, hot, red patch lasts about 3 days and then slowly starts to lose heat and fade, which takes a few weeks. I was stung on my thigh 4 weeks ago, and I can still see where the sting was and vaguely the outlines of the huge reaction around it, although not sore or hot any longer.

And the darned wasps are malicious! They come after me with malice aforethought. I'm very much in favor of as few chemicals as possible, but I now have me a can of Raid Flying Insect which shoots a 12-foot stream. Kills 'em dead.

Ok, so do you folks who have scorpions, black widows and brown recluse get pest control treatments?
    I have been told that doing the pest control treatments I should not have spiders, etc

MistyBlue, how do you know about Uruguay? Friends of mine just moved there!

I grew up in Florida, which is possibly the most bug-riddled, snake stompin' state in the continental US. If it's poisonous or venomous, we probably have it in droves! I grew up learning not to put my hands or feet where I couldn't see them; it's second nature to me now. My trainer, who just moved here from Nebraska, keeps threatening to move back when she sees a snake, and I just laugh at her and tell her that at least she SAW that one!

I spent my summers up in Maine, and truthfully, I mostly remember those times as a break from the critters. I could lie in the grass without worrying about fire ants, and except for the mosquitoes which would carry you away and the black flies, it was heaven!