The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy Need jingles for Maxx cat - RIP sweet boy

I have a very beloved 14 y.o. cat, Maxx. He hasn't been himself lately... Not eating, alittle lethargic etc. Took him to the vet last Friday, and he got IV fluids and anti-nausea meds... Seemed to perk up abit, but still not quite right.

He's only been seen eating his Cosequin mixed with baby food, I haven't seen him eat his regular food... (I have 2 other cats, so it's hard to know for sure) and just now I heard him puking, just there wasn't much to puke up... I don't know what to do...

I will call the vet again later this AM. But I am just so worried. Especially since I leave for Morocco for 6 weeks on Saturday.

Jingles please!
    Last edited by texang73; Jun. 19, 2009 at 02:29 PM.
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

Oh no. Jingling for Maxx. My horses always get hurt right before I leave on a big trip. Every. Time. I think they sense I am leaving or something. Maybe Maxx is sensing something. It sounds like you will need to make some decisions before you leave. If not the BIG one, then some decisions for his caretaker to follow while you are gone. I'm sorry.

Jingles. Our old kitty started with symptoms like that, it was her kidneys. Two years later, at 17 she passed. Vets can do am amazing things.

Jingles for Maxx. I have 6 geriatric cats and can totally relate to your worry. Hope he's feeling better soon.
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

I would get to the vet and have them run at least a kidney panel, preferably a CBC. That sounds a lot like my cat when she developed chronic renal failure. If cats do well with treatment, they can be made very comfortable with fluids, sometimes for years. I would get the cat to the vet as soon as you possibly can, so you can get those results before you leave, and can make the initial treatment decisions while you are there in person.

Jingling for Maxx the kitty

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Jingles for Maxx from Florida.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Sending jingles for Maxx from Kentucky!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Sending Jingles for Maxx.

Huge jingles for Maxx! Hope he can be ok. I am a cat lover and have some elderly cats too. It's scary how quickly they can go down on you. Good luck!
    PennyG

Default I'm jingling big for Maxx and for my Anna

I am so sorry to hear that your Maxx cat isn't doing well. I'll keep him in my prayers along with my little Anna. She was diagnosed with feline diabetes and pancreatitis on Monday.
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Thanks all I appreciate it. I feel your good vibes.

Took him back to the vet today and she took blood, he got more IV fluids and a few meds. I'll know tomorrow what the blood says... Fingers crossed that is nothing major. But I am preparing for the worst, just in case. As my mom said, "Maybe he's trying to tell you something before you leave, so you can make the right decision while you are here and not away."

Either way, I hope that it's treatable and he'll live for much longer! He's one of the longest living things in my life (besides the 26 y.o. horse)...

7-year-old Mr. Kitty sends jingles from Massachusetts. 14 is not all that old for a cat. It may just be a urinary infection or something treatable with antibiotics. Oftentimes a big dose of sub-q fluids and some antibiotics will take care of whatever is bothering a kitty. For an irresistable treat, go buy a bottle of cod liver oil (usually sold at the fish counter) and drizzle it over his food, or just give him a saucerful.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

BIG jingles from Wisconsin! And my three kitties are meowing!!

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

More jingles for Maxx! (We have a Max-cat at our barn, too, and he's about 17 years old, we think.) My 5 house cats and our 3 barn cats are jingling too!

JINGLES JINGLES JINGLES !!! FOR MAXX AND FOR YOU* AO AO AO ALWAYS OPTIMISTIC!!!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Default Lark and Muffett are jingling too

They are older than 14, andf hopefully, Maxx will come around again.
    Another killer of threads

Thanks for all your jingles, but I am so sad right now. Can't stop crying. Bloodwork showed my sweet boy had the beginnings of liver and kidney failure, and he had pancreatitis... He was very, very sick.

I just got back from having him put to sleep... I feel so guilty that I could not afford the treatment (somewhere near $1000)...

I know I did right by him, but I am so sad.

I am so sorry.

Don't beat yourself up for not spending the money to treat him. It sounds like he had a lot going on and you would only have been delaying it. I think you probably did him a favour by letting him go now.

Take care of yourself.

RIP Maxx
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Please, please don't feel guilty. Who knows if the treatment would have restored the quality of life that he had before? You absolutely did the best thing for him...you took away his pain. What an amazing gift to give - you did what was best for him even though it hurt you. Big (((hugs))). I'm so sorry for your loss.
    In memory of Rebuff (1974-2009)

Rest in peace, my sweet man