The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Squamous cell carcinoma in eye

Has anyone had a horse with Squamous cell carcinoma of the eye? My mare has two bumps which my vet says is probable SCC. We are going to Tufts for a full diagnosis.

These were not there in April when she had her vet check for her insurance policy. I noticed them a couple of weeks ago and had them checked. It appears they are on the 3rd eye lid.

We had a horse in our barn all last year that appeared to have a chronically blocked tear duct. Many flushes and tubes of ointment later (it would clear up, return, clear up, return, etc...) it went back to the owner with yet another tube of ointment...it cleared up...returned, and she took it to an equine opthamologist who biopsied it and subsequently did a surgery to remove the third eylid and the little growth that had been plugging the tear duct, rendering it a 'one way street' (the wrong way, which is why the flushes flushed up, but the tears couldn't flow down).

The horse is now fine, with no sign of recurrence so far.

Mine had to have his third eyelid removed for a huge, ugly pink blob sarcoma last year. It was a very simple snip snip operation. The big concern was that the cancer had gone into his bone, given how long he'd had the blob and how big it had gotten almost overnight. Luckily, that hadn't happened and he is perfectly fine!

After freaking out a lot before the surgery, I learned that while these are (unfortunately) very common, most of them can be resolved easily by removing the mass. I think the main thing is to get it dx'd and dealt with quickly before it spreads.
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

I leased a horse that had a couple. One was cut and the other was injected with chemo. He had to always wear a fly mask as his eyes were more at risk and had to be protected from dust/debris
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Thank you for all the information! My horse had an ulcer in her eye last year that we treated and now this. But it is only a month or so old so I think we have caught it very early. We don't go into Tufts until July 1st so I have two weeks to stress myself out!

Tomorrow my mare is going in to have surgery to remove her 3rd eye lid done on Thursday. For those who have done this, what can I expect for after surgery care? She will stay at the vet hospital until Friday. They also found some uveitis scarring behind the eye but he did not seem concerns as they are scars.

Mine came home two days after his surgery and needed only very basic topical care for a few days. He had some swelling that went down within a couple of days and has not suffered any ill effects since then (it has been about one year now). Hopefully your mare will have the same result- good luck!
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil