The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bit Question (not about the Pelham lol)

My horse does primarily the A/O Jumpers, but recently I have decided to do some more Hunters with him (he is definately fancy enough!). My question is this: His current bit is a 3 ring elevator. What bit can I use for the hunters that will give him a similar feel to this bit. He goes the best in this bit. I have tried several varieties of Dee Rings and he is just not happy about it. Do you think a Full cheek is the next bit to try???
    Thanks in Advance.

The ring is not the issue, the mouthpiece is.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

I am no bit expert by any means but my horse has occasionally gone in a three ring and regularly goes in a loose ring snaffle which, while not exactly conventional in hunters, is still legal.

If you would like to go for the more traditional look I would suggest you look into something with leverage like a full cheek or even the controversial pelham.

Full Cheeks don't have leverage.
    Pelhams aren't controversial.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Quote Originally Posted by Pirateer View Post
    Full Cheeks don't have leverage.
    Pelhams aren't controversial.
    From everything I have ever been told, a full cheek when used with keepers DOES provide mild leverage. From what I have observed, some people are very for pelhams and some people are very against pelhams. It is not as benign as say a D ring which I don't think anyone has any qualms with.

You might not need as much leverage as you would in the jumpers to do the hunters so maybe you can get away with something a little lighter?

The mylers confuse the **** out of me but maybe there's something there that can help you.
    HorseStableReview.com - Tell others what you know! Post your barn or review today.

Quote Originally Posted by horsestablereview View Post

The mylers confuse the **** out of me but maybe there's something there that can help you.
    The Mylers with fixed hooks that act sort of like a bastardized leverage bit are even more controversial than a pelham.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Default Bit Question - waterford bit

It's a bit oldfashioned but a waterford might work, especially if your horse needs the 3 ring because he takes a hold. The waterford comes in a D ring or eggbutt ring, it's sharper than a regular snaffle but not as severe as a pelham. You can get them with loose rings or fixed rings.
    kenyagirl

I have tried a plain O Ring snaffle and a Dee ring just for the heck of it. He does take ahold of it a little so I need something with a little bit of leverage but not too much because he is relatively soft in the mouth.

I actually have a Dee Ring waterford, that I didn't even think of trying for him but may try tomorrow... and a full cheek with a plain snaffle mouthpiece to try too.

Quote Originally Posted by kenyarider View Post
    It's a bit oldfashioned but a waterford might work.
    We have a lot of horses at my barn who go in waterfords who also go in elevators as well. Some horses will stay in the waterford for showing, or go in something with a port. It doesn't need to be huge but it gives them a little lift like the elevator.

Just curious but why are pelhams controversial?

Pelhams are not controversial in the hunters.
    Thinking klmck63 is either going with controversial as in for OP since not pelham was mentioned or goofed and meant conventional pelham.

IMO The closest to the three ring you can get is riding the bottom rein of a long shank pelham with a loose to no chain and the same mouth piece as your threering. The top rein would be mostly for show in this case.
    The only difference is that your pelham would be attached to the shanks whereas in the threering the mouth piece is floating or moving on the ring.
    The soft rubber pelham Bevals sells will loosen and move up the shank (this makes it unuseable for me in it's intended purpose but might work for you, PM me if you want me to send you mine)

Mind you, for a similar feel and response you have to keep the chain loose to the point where it has no effect at all.

Good luck!
    Timothy, stop lurking