The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sandy Well Question

Just have to say, LOVE the Farm Forum!!

We bought a small farm a few years ago (3ish) that had a newly installed well. We used the place on a limited basis (average 1x a month) and over time, we've found that there are small accumulations of sand in all of the appliance catch filters, toilet tanks, dishwashers, etc.

Clearly Houston has a problem.

We are in a completely sand terrain, so the sand is not surprising, but how to I keep it from coming into the house from the well?

Does the pump need to be adjusted?
    Filter installed at the pump? In the house?

Help!

I'm happy to call a professional, but what kind of professional do I need?

I'd LOVE a water filter for the taste of the water too, if the world were perfect

Our well is only for the barn (house is on county water) so when we had some sediment in the water, the well company came back out and raised the pump - seems to be better, most of the time.

If it were also going to my house I would add a filter or your faucets, appliances, etc are going to be a mess after a while. Call the company that installed your well, they should be able to fix any problems.

If you have the well record from when the well was first constructed, call up the installer on the record - they should be able to help you, especially since the well is so new. If not, take a look in your local yellow pages for "well drillers". Like KnKShowmom said, the pump may simply need to be raised, and a filter or two may be needed too.

Call your well driller. They can often install a screen on the end of the pump line in the well. If you don't get rid of the sand, it can damage some of your appliances by plugging them or causing extra wear and tear on them.

You can raise the pump, so it is not so close to the bottom sand sediments, or, easier, you can add a sand filter in the line from the well to the pressure tank and clean it in a few months and if dirty, halve the time to cleaning it again.

New wells will some times pump fine sand for a little bit, so after a while, you may not have any more sand to clean from the filter.

If they ever have to pull the well, then be sure to mention this, so they may not lower the pump so far down in the water bearing part of the casing.

As others said, do have it fixed, as it can clog stuff.

We just had this problem but ours was an older well. The casing had collapsed and we had to have a new well dug. To the tune of $3k.
    You need to deal with it though, it will tear up all your appliances, not to mention your pump, if you have a water softener it will probably need to be rebedded.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Quote Originally Posted by Jaegermonster View Post
    We just had this problem but ours was an older well. The casing had collapsed and we had to have a new well dug. To the tune of $3k.
    You need to deal with it though, it will tear up all your appliances, not to mention your pump, if you have a water softener it will probably need to be rebedded.
    You are lucky.
    Here we go from 200' to 500' deep and at 230', as the one we dug three years ago is, it was $10,000 from drilling to finished with a well house.

It pumped a little bit of sand, but new wells do here for a little, so we have a filter, as most do here.

We couldn't afford to do the artesian well, which is what it would have been at that footage in my area. We just did a regular well. They hit wate at 10' but the well is actually 85' deep.
    And that price was without a new pump, tank etc. That was just the drilling part, and hook up to the old pump.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin